Cowboys Full Draft - How do you feel?

Texas_OutLaw7

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The debate comes up when you get to your pick and you have a "yellow" guy rated at #20 vs a "green" guy rated #25. Do you take the highest rated person or the best person for your team?

I get everything you said in your post and agree with it. My question is on this last part, why not have this debate decided before the draft? 

You could create a clear pecking order, where everyone has time to discuss and give input. Why wait until you have the pressure of the clock to decide on yellow #20 vs green #25? 

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Happened with Zeke. We went exactly 1 year with DeMarco Murray, and understood afterwards that we needed a RB to help take the pressure off Romo. Zeke was rated by many the #1 prospect available in the entire draft. At worst he was #3 behind Ramsey and Bosa.

So need met BPA at #4 in 2016, no matter who you had at #1. We needed DE, DB, and RB.

Lol. Is that what you really think happened?

PS => having one example proves my point.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I get everything you said in your post and agree with it. My question is on this last part, why not have this debate decided before the draft? 

You could create a clear pecking order, where everyone has time to discuss and give input. Why wait until you have the pressure of the clock to decide on yellow #20 vs green #25? 

Because it changes every single selection. Its constantly in movement. Until you get to your pick, you dont know what all your options are. You cant really create a pecking order for every possible scenario. 

48 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Because it changes every single selection. Its constantly in movement. Until you get to your pick, you dont know what all your options are. You cant really create a pecking order for every possible scenario. 

Why does it change? 

If you would pick player A over player B, and player B over player C, when could it possibly happen that you would pick player C over player A?

What could cause the pecking order to change so wildly?

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Lol. Is that what you really think happened?

PS => having one example proves my point.

Immediately coming up with an example that proves you wrong, proves your point? 

I guess you are to smart for me because I don't get it.

6 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Why does it change? 

If you would pick player A over player B, and player B over player C, when could it possibly happen that you would pick player C over player A?

What could cause the pecking order to change so wildly?

Because you have 256 draft picks. And you have a constantly changing list of needs. For example if you draft a LB in the 1st and the best player in the 2nd is a LB, you probably didnt account for that when you initially assigned colors. 

And then you have freak events like Gregory and Jaylon.

Its just too many variables to have properly vetted them all before your draft pick comes up. 

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Immediately coming up with an example that proves you wrong, proves your point? 

I guess you are to smart for me because I don't get it.

You dont see it? You could find 1 example when we had pick #4 overall..... That proves my point entirely. Thats like saying "What about all the teams that need a QB and have the #1 overall".......

The point was more geared towards the bulk of the draft, not just the very top of it. Very rarely in rounds 2-7 does need perfectly line up with BPA.

Edited by Matts4313

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Because you have 256 draft picks. And you have a constantly changing list of needs. For example if you draft a LB in the 1st and the best player in the 2nd is a LB, you probably didnt account for that when you initially assigned colors. 

And then you have freak events like Gregory and Jaylon.

Its just too many variables to have properly vetted them all before your draft pick comes up. 

Why is Gregory an exception to what I am saying? They should have had him on a list above players they would draft over him and below players they wouldn’t.

Eventually, you have to make a decision on one player over others. You can create that pecking order before the draft.

Obviously once you make a pick yourself, you have to readjust your board for other players at that position. But pick #58, for example, you could certainly create a list in the order you would draft them in. If we would take Trysten Hill over Kyler Murray, then Trysten Hill should be above Murray on the list. How does anything other teams do in the first #57 picks influence your pecking order?

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

18 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Why is Gregory an exception to what I am saying? They should have had him on a list above players they would draft over him and below players they wouldn’t.

Eventually, you have to make a decision on one player over others. You can create that pecking order before the draft.

Obviously once you make a pick yourself, you have to readjust your board for other players at that position. But pick #58, for example, you could certainly create a list in the order you would draft them in. If we would take Trysten Hill over Kyler Murray, then Trysten Hill should be above Murray on the list. How does anything other teams do in the first #57 picks influence your pecking order?

Gregory was apparently entirely off a lot of teams board. But then he was there at the end of the second and everything changed.

As for your other question, again its variables. What if you have a solid ABC pecking order, and all 3 go the 3 picks before you. Now you are trying to weigh play D vs player E, F and G. And on top of that, you have to factor trades. 

The draft is constant movement.

EDIT - I guess my point is this: The teams/scouts do their own mock scenarios. They run through as much as they possibly can. But once you are up on the clock, there are a million variables at play.

Edited by Matts4313

I'd imagine run on positions also influences the draft board at the time of selection. 

Hill was likely the last impact DT left on their board (impact being immediate contributor/starter caliber) while other positions still had similar ranked availability. 

In situations like that deviation is not only possible but damn near likely.

57 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I just proved to you that it does happen and for us like 3 years running.

No. You misunderstood @Matts4313.

It's not: "what is our biggest need and who is the consensus highest ranked player at that specific position."

By the Cowboys own admission, Connor was ranked higher than several players on our board like the S and Hill, but they passed on him because of positional value. 

Because you may have had Thornhill as your highest ranked player left doesn't mean the team did. As plainly evident by their own admission.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You dont see it? You could find 1 example when we had pick #4 overall.....

That was the first thing that came up. Tj watt was a need meets BPA. Sheriff floyd was a need meet BPA. Zack Martin was a need meets damn sure bpa... 

The list goes on

Floyd is a good example for showcasing that BPA is a myth. 5th highest player on our board and we don't want him. 

I also don't understand why some of you think Watt was BPA. Wasn't it reported King was out highest ranked player? But it came down to Taco and Watt, two players ranked lower, and it was considered one was a LB and one a DE and they went with Taco as a result? Am I misremembering this?