Cowboys Full Draft - How do you feel?

Texas_OutLaw7

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I just proved to you that it does happen and for us like 3 years running.

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

That was the first thing that came up. Tj watt was a need meets BPA. Sheriff floyd was a need meet BPA. Zack Martin was a need meets damn sure bpa... 

The list goes on

You two are still entirely missing the point. 

Its extremely rare that the best player at out of ALL THE AVAILABLE PLAYERS lines up perfectly with a need of yours. 

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Gregory was apparently entirely off a lot of teams board. But then he was there at the end of the second and everything changed.

As for your other question, again its variables. What if you have a solid ABC pecking order, and all 3 go the 3 picks before you. Now you are trying to weigh play D vs player E, F and G. And on top of that, you have to factor trades. 

The draft is constant movement.

EDIT - I guess my point is this: The teams/scouts do their own mock scenarios. They run through as much as they possibly can. But once you are up on the clock, there are a million variables at play.

-But Gregory wasn’t off our draft board. So if they constructed their board the way I am suggesting, we would have had him appropriately slotted, and he’d be the top remaining player at the time of our selection.

-If A, B, and C are gone, you pick D, because you’ve already debated his merits against E and F before the draft and determined he was more valuable to you. Or you trade out.

-I understand that they mock out lots of scenarios. But when you wind up on the clock, why is there still a debate between Trysten Hill and Juan Thornhill and whoever else was in that range on their board. What could possibly happen in the first 57 picks that would make Juan or another player jump Trysten? There’s nothing that would change that. 

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

But when you wind up on the clock, why is there still a debate between Trysten Hill and Juan Thornhill and whoever else was in that range on their board. What could possibly happen in the first 57 picks that would make Juan or another player jump Trysten? There’s nothing that would change that. 

Scenario:

Hill and Thronhill are your top 2. Youve decided in all your predraft mocks that if they are both there, you are going Thornhill. You get to your pick and they are both there. You look at your big board and see that you have 0 DT's left with a second round grade, but you have 5 safeties. A debate starts. "Do we gamble and see if we can get a safety in the 3rd"? As you and your team are debating, your phone rings. Its the Chiefs. They want to trade up so they can draft Hill. More debate ensues. 

You see what I mean? Its just all so fluid. I get your point, but the fact that 32 teams all have challenges once they are on the clock, its not as clean as you are suggesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Scenario:

Hill and Thronhill are your top 2. Youve decided in all your predraft mocks that if they are both there, you are going Thornhill. You get to your pick and they are both there. You look at your big board and see that you have 0 DT's left with a second round grade, but you have 5 safeties. A debate starts. "Do we gamble and see if we can get a safety in the 3rd"? As you and your team are debating, your phone rings. Its the Chiefs. They want to trade up so they can draft Hill. More debate ensues. 

You see what I mean? Its just all so fluid. I get your point, but the fact that 32 teams all have challenges once they are on the clock, its not as clean as you are suggesting.

I am not suggesting it is clean, just cleaner.

With trading, I agree that complicates things, but not any more so than with any other board setup.

I do see the possibility that a position being wiped out or falling could change your tune. At which point, the conversation can start, “Look, we agreed Thornhill gives us more marginal utility at #58, but is it possible based on how few DTs are left, and how many safeties are left, that we’ll maximize our total benefit from this draft by drafting Hill?”

That frames the debate so much more cleanly, IMO, and in most scenarios, you wouldn’t even have to have that debate.

Honestly, I see the value of the other board setups as well. It just really surprises me that they don’t have a pretty strong stacked ranking going into the draft.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its extremely rare that the best player at out of ALL THE AVAILABLE PLAYERS lines up perfectly with a need of yours. 

Zack Martin 

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Zack Martin 

13 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You dont see it? You could find 1 example when we had pick #4 overall..... That proves my point entirely. Thats like saying "What about all the teams that need a QB and have the #1 overall".......

The point was more geared towards the bulk of the draft, not just the very top of it. Very rarely in rounds 2-7 does need perfectly line up with BPA.

Maybe this will help?

Even then, Martin was a back up plan because Donald and Shazier went off the board and Stephen Jones hated Manziel. 

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think you're missing our point.

For example you bring up Kyler Murray. Yet we didn't bring him in for a visit. Why would we?

We invited a bunch of safeties, linemen, WR's and TE's. In each time of the draft some of the top talent was still on the board that fit our needs. That's the whole point of scouting and team visits so the BPA for your team will be available and we do it better then most.