Cowboys Full Draft - How do you feel?

Texas_OutLaw7

I guess we can argue and debate all we want for what we want to make of McClay’s moves. But I know for sure with him every year we put out our most competitive roster possible under salary cap restrictions. 

He had a post draft show with the peeps at Dallas cowboys website and pretty much said future salary cap moves do force their hand in current drafts.

He also said Kris Richard spoke very highly of Xavier Woods when the Juan ThornHill / Trysten Hill pick decision was going down. Kris Richard and Rod M. Basically picked Hill over ThornHill.

McClay added he is a firm believer in drafting up front over skill position players and felt like getting a 3tech with Hill’s size was very rare in the second. Especially at the bottom of the 2nd where we were picking.

Rod & McClay felt really good about Hill basically and his football character. Said  he chose to spend time with Rod M. In a pre draft meeting at an Hotel the whole day on his 21st birthday. Random tidbits to get an idea what the kids about 

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

22 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

.......Its just all so fluid.

Best way to describe Dallas draft philosophy. It's fluid. As the draft progresses and the board changes, they adapt on the fly based off what's in front of them. Sometimes it's strictly BPA. Sometimes it's BPA at specific position. Sometimes it's need. So on and so forth. It's a terrific strategy, imo.

• Like 1

No matter how this turns out  I think overall we have very little if anything to complain about how the past 4 drafts have gone so I think we can give the staff a wait and see and the benefit of doubt based on past success

9 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Best way to describe Dallas draft philosophy. It's fluid. As the draft progresses and the board changes, they adapt on the fly based off what's in front of them. Sometimes it's strictly BPA. Sometimes it's BPA at specific position. Sometimes it's need. So on and so forth. It's a terrific strategy, imo.

You think so? I've come to think of it as very structured. Plan A isn't there? Go to Plan B.

Based on this particular draft, part of the strategy obviously focused on pending free agents, which is never a bad idea. You stay ahead of the free agency curve by a year this way. And, if you decide to re-sign the player, then the team’s depth improves because you have (potentially) starting caliber guys as backups.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Based on this particular draft, part of the strategy obviously focused on pending free agents, which is never a bad idea. You stay ahead of the free agency curve by a year this way. And, if you decide to re-sign the player, then the team’s depth improves because you have (potentially) starting caliber guys as backups.

This. The Hill pick feels like a year-in-advance replacement for Maliek Collins, but it depends on Collins’ market value. $5M+/year and he’s probably gone- $6M+ he definitely is. But if he’d take $3-4M range to stay on as the 3rd DT you probably do that and feel pretty good about it.

11 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

This. The Hill pick feels like a year-in-advance replacement for Maliek Collins, but it depends on Collins’ market value. $5M+/year and he’s probably gone- $6M+ he definitely is. But if he’d take $3-4M range to stay on as the 3rd DT you probably do that and feel pretty good about it.

Id think Crawford would be gone first. 

22 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Agreed but they both could be

I don't know. Collins hasn't really done much to really garner a large contract on the open market in my opinion (save a breakout year in 2019). If we get more of the same for him, I could see us re-signing him. 

31 minutes ago, D82 said:

I don't know. Collins hasn't really done much to really garner a large contract on the open market in my opinion (save a breakout year in 2019). If we get more of the same for him, I could see us re-signing him. 

I see what you mean. Market value for rotational DTs is definitely not high right now, there’s so many of them. But I think it’s possible a team overvalues him based on his age (25 at the start of next season) and that he was a relatively high pick (67 overall). We’ll see 

28 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

So apparently Dallas got guys via UDFA that they had 3rd/4th rd grades on. That seems a little hard to believe.

Wise seems like someone who could have had a 4th round grade. Same with Hyatt.

Which only serves to blow up the notion of BPA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Wise seems like someone who could have had a 4th round grade. Same with Hyatt.

Which only serves to blow up the notion of BPA.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:37 PM, Matts4313 said:

Everyone says this, but forgets there where mocks that had him going at pick 28th or whatever it was to the Packers. 

The Cowboys split players 3 ways.

Vertical - such as you see everywhere. Murray, Bosa, etc etc

Horizontal by round - Such round 1 might have 15 names. Round 2 might have 50 names.

Color - This is the interesting part. Im not 100% on how they code it, but my understanding would be:

Red - Not a fit, probably due to character or major criminal. Not a need position.

Yellow - has flags. Such as injuries or minor character/criminal issues. Wont be an immediate impact.

Green - Perfect fit. Probably a need position.

So for example, Kyler Murray might be #1 player, with a 1st round grade, but be "red" because we dont need a QB. 

The debate comes up when you get to your pick and you have a "yellow" guy rated at #20 vs a "green" guy rated #25. Do you take the highest rated person or the best person for your team?

They could have had 50 - 100 players with a "3rd/4th round grade". 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, Matts4313 said:

They could have had 50 - 100 players with a "3rd/4th round grade". 

Makes sense.   Just because there are 32 players taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds doesn't mean there are 32 rated 1st round talents and 32 rated 2nd round talents.  Might have 18 first round talents and 20 2nd.