With the 247th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Olabisi Johnson, WR - Colorado State

RpMc

Tough, consistent and dependable are terms scouts and coaches use in describing Johnson as a player. He is a very polished route runner, but his lack of top-end speed could limit his draft stock somewhat. His short-area footwork is solid, but he could really thrive as a big, zone-beater in space. Johnson's football character, intelligence and core special teams ability give him a chance to find work early and eventually become a dependable WR3.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bisi-johnson?id=32194a4f-4800-0023-5262-0061a9786a43

There is a point of why are the Vikings picking receivers which physically match what they already have?

Anthony Johnson
Greg Dortch
David Sills
Antoine Wesley
Jazz Ferguson
Tyron Johnson
Tyre Brady
Jamal Custis
Emmanuel Hall
Stanley Morgan Jr.
Felton Davis III
Ryan Davis
Johnnie Dixon
Xavier Ubosi

All these guys I would take over Olabisi Johnson.  These guys either bring great speed or are big bodies which they do not really have.  Sure Stanley Morgan matches what we have already but he has more toughness than most think and is a better prospect than Olabisi Johnson.

Dillon Mitchell really splashed this past season, I do not mind that pick but this one I question with some very talented WRs still there who are not so similar to what we already have.

So some thoughts.

I didn't know much about Olabisi when the Vikings took him. Last couple of days, I did some more research. The more I learned, the more I liked...to the point where I am pretty confident he will make the 53 man out of training camp and by season's end he could be pushing for the WR3 slot. He reminds me of Stefon Diggs when I watched his cut ups. 

1. He is going to make an impact early on special teams and that will help him make the roster. He can be a solid gunner and has some return ability because he is quick twitched and likes to get into it blocking. This allows him to stay on the roster contributing while honing his craft as a receiver.

2. He has 10 3/8 inch hands, which is good for 95th percentile. With those hands, they are incredibly sticky with hardly any drops on film, along with the willingness to go up for contested balls and attack at the apex. 

3. His athletic profile is interesting. He meets the benchmarks in height (6 1/2), weight (204lbs) and speed (4.5 40).  But he posted very good to excellent numbers in the vert (81 percentile), broad jump (75th percentile) and 3cone/short shuttle (75th percentile). 

D5MUXNdWwAEs6y0.png:large

4. Watching his cut up, he knows how to run routes. The little nuances to get open, he get its with subtle head movement and body movement. He was open plenty of times and just not targeted. When he was targeted, he would make the most of his opportunities. He played inside, he played outside, he ran an expanded route tree. 

I like him more than Mitchell and I think he's the type that will work, work and work to get better. Really solid pick in the 7th IMO,

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

So some thoughts.

I didn't know much about Olabisi when the Vikings took him. Last couple of days, I did some more research. The more I learned, the more I liked...to the point where I am pretty confident he will make the 53 man out of training camp and by season's end he could be pushing for the WR3 slot. He reminds me of Stefon Diggs when I watched his cut ups. 

Yeah, the more I watch the more I'm liking....except for the fact he went to CSU.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:32 PM, JDBrocks said:

Dude. Every other team passed on those guys too. Perhaps they know more than we do? 

This was exactly my thoughts, just because somebody is a good athlete doesn't mean they're right for your team.  If I interviewed somebody and i didn't like them I wouldn't draft them.