With the 250th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Austin Cutting, LS - Air Force

RpMc

There has to be players at other positions that we could have taken a risk on. I know it’s unlikely that a 7th round pick is going to make an impact, when guys like Adam Thielen and Holton Hill go undrafted there has better risks than a long snapper.

8 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

There has to be players at other positions that we could have taken a risk on. I know it’s unlikely that a 7th round pick is going to make an impact, when guys like Adam Thielen and Holton Hill go undrafted there has better risks than a long snapper.

At least he will be a "starter" at some point.

10 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Sounds like they didn't think that they could sign him so they drafted him. Wasn't there only 3 picks left? Anyone that they didn't drafted they still had a chance at signing

• Like 1

The Vikings on Saturday took the Air Force long snapper in the seventh round of the NFL draft with the No. 250 pick. Air Force cadets have a two-year service requirement after graduation, but Minnesota general manager Rick Spielman hasn’t ruled out that Cutting could be cleared to play this season.

Spielman: “We’ve been in constant communication with the Air Force Academy. What I can tell you is I know Austin is very excited and obligated to serve his commitment. I know talking with the people at the Academy, we’re working through right now ways that he can serve his commitment but also be able to serve his capacity here as a football player.’’

There is precedent for a long snapper from a military school being able to play right away. Long snapper Joe Cardona was selected in the 2015 draft out of Navy by New England, and arrangements were made to get him immediately on the roster. He has been with the Patriots ever since.

For now, Cutting expects to attend Minnesota’s rookie minicamp May 3-5.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/27/austin-cutting-to-serve-his-country-with-air-force-but-still-could-be-vikings-long-snapper/

The Minnesota Vikings drafted Air Force long snapper Austin Cutting with their 12th and final selection of last week’s NFL Draft. If that selection had been made a few years ago, Cutting may have been allowed to join the Vikings and begin an NFL career while serving in the reserves. However, the Department of Defense overturned that policy in 2017, which in turn has put Cutting’s football career into temporary limbo.

According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Air Force associate athletic director for communications Troy Garnhart said in an email that a decision has yet to be made on Cutting’s status for this season.

“At this point, about all we can say is that he will absolutely serve and may have an opportunity to play in the NFL,” Garnhart wrote in an email. “It’s very early in the process and discussions are ongoing. We will not have a resolution for some time.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/02/decision-not-expected-soon-on-vikings-long-snapper-austin-cuttings-military-commitments/

I still think this was a forward thinking move by the Vikings. 

I don’t believe they drafted this guy believing that he wouldn’t need to serve his commitment. 

His commitment is two years, in two years McDermott’s contract expires. 

It may seem like an odd way of planning, especially for a long snapper. But if you think this guy is that good, for the 250th pick, why not?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t believe they drafted this guy believing that he wouldn’t need to serve his commitment. 

It may seem like an odd way of planning, especially for a long snapper. But if you think this guy is that good, for the 250th pick, why not?

Exactly. If that's worst case scenario, it's really not that bad of a situation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Exactly. If that's worst case scenario, it's really not that bad of a situation.

Made possible by having 12 draft picks.  The roster was never going to have room for all 12. It isn't terrible deferring one of them a couple years if that is what happens.  I would have rather traded a seventh this year for a 6th next year and then a sixth next year for a 5th in two years than defer the benefit for a long snapper at that time, but trading for future picks also requires having a dance partner.

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

A very Patriot-like pick.  If NE had made this pick, talk would be about how they had outsmarted everyone again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

A very Patriot-like pick.  If NE had made this pick, talk would be about how they had outsmarted everyone again.

Yes...well...the Patriots have a lot of evidence going towards proving that they are...indeed...smarter than everyone else.