Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RpMc

With the 250th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Austin Cutting, LS - Air Force

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

When it comes to the draft, not so much. 

I agree.  Belichick always deals in numbers, and that's why they've been successful...in the last 10 years, they've had 9 or more picks in the draft 7 times.  They can afford to takes some misses because they have more bullets to fire.  

I like the fact that Spielman insists on getting in the neighborhood of 10 picks every year, even though we may disagree on where the majority of those 10 picks come from (Belichick likes the middle round players, Spiels tends to lean on the later round players).  

We'll see what happens with Cutting, but I'm certain there's a plan behind it, whether he can participate over the long-term or not.  I imagine a lot of it had to do with McDermott slicing off his finger tip last year, they may not know what long-term effect that might have.

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually a big fan of this pick. It's only a 7th rounder, and, if he can play right away, will free up a little space. Most importantly though, our kicking game has its issues. If you get a guy who you feel is going to be one of the best longsnappers in the league, you've taken away one thing to worry about. There's more to field goals and extra points than just the kicker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I'd rather just knock it out before. 2 years goes by so quickly.

It might be a little different for a long snapper but I would think most players would want to continue developing as an athlete instead of taking a break for 2 years. I feel like it'd be tough to jump back in after being away from the game for 2 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, swede700 said:

The President then made some news, saying he's looking at "doing a waiver for service academy athletes who can get into the major leagues," adding that those players can serve in the military after they play professionally.

sorry, but the dudes should give back their military duty first, that's what put them through school. what happens if they go pro first, blow out a knee or suffer concussions, and then can't serve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

sorry, but the dudes should give back their military duty first, that's what put them through school. what happens if they go pro first, blow out a knee or suffer concussions, and then can't serve?

Not necessarily. As a veteran, it doesn't bother me if a player doesn't serve actively if they get drafted. There are multiple ways they can serve without actually being stationed somewhere. Recruiting events, National Guard/AF Reserve, speaking engagements, etc.

Recruiting numbers have been down for some time now. Guys like this give the armed services and the service academies a higher profile. The brass knows this, and this is why they even consider letting guys do this. 

Frankly, I'd be fine if they let him play in exchange for 6 years in the reserves, and on the condition that the team take out an insurance policy that reimburses Uncle Sam for any costs incurred in his training if he is unable to complete that service.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Not necessarily. As a veteran, it doesn't bother me if a player doesn't serve actively if they get drafted. There are multiple ways they can serve without actually being stationed somewhere. Recruiting events, National Guard/AF Reserve, speaking engagements, etc.

Recruiting numbers have been down for some time now. Guys like this give the armed services and the service academies a higher profile. The brass knows this, and this is why they even consider letting guys do this. 

hmm, a good perspective. thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hmm, a good perspective. thanks.

Well, my service basically consisted of drinking tequila in Tijuana during peacetime, so anything he does is likely more valuable to the military than what I did :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long snapper Austin Cutting, a seventh-round draft pick out of Air Force, is scheduled to take part in OTAs this week, but there is still no clarity on whether he will be able to play in 2019.

Cutting has a two-year service commitment. Air Force associate athletics director for communications Troy Garnhart said Monday there has been no update from academy officials on Cutting’s status. If Cutting is unable to play in 2019, he likely would be placed on the reserve/military list. He then would not count against the roster limit, and the Vikings would retain his rights.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/football/4615532-former-pro-bowler-john-carney-reached-out-vikings-about-kicking-coach-job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

After making his intentions known last month, President Donald Trump has signed a memorandum calling upon the Pentagon to create a policy that would allow athletes from service academies to play professional sports immediately upon graduation.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/26/president-orders-re-creation-of-policy-to-allow-service-academy-players-to-play-in-nfl/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make Football Great Again (or in the case of Andrew Sendejo, Make Football Violent Again)😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long snapper Austin Cutting is the lone 2019 seventh-round pick without a contract, but the delay in signing with the team hasn’t been due to a dispute over the size of the deal. Cutting attended the Air Force Academy and associate athletic director for communications Troy Garnhart said in May that there were ongoing discussions about allowing Cutting to play while serving his two-year service commitment. That decision has reportedly been made.

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press reports that Cutting has been given the green light to play. There are no further details about the Air Force commitment. Tomasson adds that Cutting is expected to sign his four-year rookie deal with the team on Monday, which is the day that all Vikings rookies will be reporting to training camp.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/18/report-vikings-seventh-rounder-austin-cutting-cleared-to-play-in-nfl/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Long snapper Austin Cutting is the lone 2019 seventh-round pick without a contract, but the delay in signing with the team hasn’t been due to a dispute over the size of the deal. Cutting attended the Air Force Academy and associate athletic director for communications Troy Garnhart said in May that there were ongoing discussions about allowing Cutting to play while serving his two-year service commitment. That decision has reportedly been made.

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press reports that Cutting has been given the green light to play. There are no further details about the Air Force commitment. Tomasson adds that Cutting is expected to sign his four-year rookie deal with the team on Monday, which is the day that all Vikings rookies will be reporting to training camp.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/18/report-vikings-seventh-rounder-austin-cutting-cleared-to-play-in-nfl/

What if the Vikings drafted him with the plan to stash him for 2 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

What if the Vikings drafted him with the plan to stash him for 2 years?

I think it's far more likely that they drafted knowing there was a good shot that he could still play this year.  Spiels always does his thorough research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×