The 2019 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

RpMc

Don’t have to restructure Linval or Reiff, although those are options. You can extend Waynes to lower his cap hit if you think he’s still part of the future, or you trade him for draft currency next year if he’s not Rudolph could be asked to take a paycut to guarantee his salary for the season or a small extension (not a fan of the later) and the Viking have leverage now in that regard. 

They have $7M+ to work with next year with only a modest cap increase taken into account, and the ability to open up $13M more by moving on from Griffen. 

Reiff may  be the best candidate for a restructure because it seems likely he’s your starter at LT this year and at least the beginning of next. 

The cap is but numbers on a page to the Brz, and he bends them to his will. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure if Reiff restructures his deal like Griffen did, same with Linval.  And sadly just moving on from Rudolph with Irv Smith Jr as your next starting TE next year, not sure I love that idea, he is much smaller and is not as good of a blocker or size weapon for the position but will see.  Waynes they can move on from no question next year but still they are not financially all that flexible according to their salary cap numbers for this year and next.  Proof is in the numbers when they have $5 million to play with and the top team on that list has over $100 million.

Not all of this is necessary at all. I guess *we’ll* see which moves the Vikings decide to make. I trust their judgement on the cap stuff.

35 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Don’t have to restructure Linval or Reiff, although those are options. You can extend Waynes to lower his cap hit if you think he’s still part of the future, or you trade him for draft currency next year if he’s not Rudolph could be asked to take a paycut to guarantee his salary for the season or a small extension (not a fan of the later) and the Viking have leverage now in that regard. 

They have $7M+ to work with next year with only a modest cap increase taken into account, and the ability to open up $13M more by moving on from Griffen. 

Reiff may  be the best candidate for a restructure because it seems likely he’s your starter at LT this year and at least the beginning of next. 

The cap is but numbers on a page to the Brz, and he bends them to his will. 

You make it seem like it is no big deal.  Next year these are their free agents of note, and they would be lucky to be able to resign what one or two of them.  Oh no big deal but then you lose your DL depth with Weatherly and Bower potentially, Kearse or Alexander at DB not to mention Eric Wilson who could be a starter next year at OLB or Sloter who will arguably be the backup QB next year.  Sure could move on from Treadwell but it is not as nice as you make it seem.  Rudolph is by far the best TE on the team and without Reiff who is the starting OT I have no idea and Reiff is not even that good.

Rudolph
Waynes
Reiff
Anthony Harris
Alexander
Kearse
Weatherly
Bower
Eric Wilson
Sloter
Treadwell
CJ Ham

They cannot pay them all.  They better get results this year no doubt.  

30 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Vikings need just under $3.1M to sign their entire draft class under the top 51 rules (assuming my math is correct on replacing the lowest contracts) and have just under $1.9M in space

Easy money. 

This is Jaire Alexander's contract on Green Bay last year as the 18th pick in the draft 1st round and is a four year deal.  

Base Salary $5,206,566

Guaranteed Salary $5,206,566

Prorated Bonus $6,844,168

Cap Number $12,050,734

How you figure the Vikings can pay all the draft class for $3 million?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You make it seem like it is no big deal.

I completely agree. It is a very big deal that is being dismissed way too easily.  Sure, there are things the team can do, but that generally is going to result in losing players.  The cap is a very real and legitimate constraint for the Vikings now.  They would not be entertaining thoughts of trading Rudolph, Waynes, or Rhodes if it was not.  They would not have been looking to trade Griffen either.

There are still plenty of options to kick the can further down the road next year if they want but the price will have to be paid. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This is Jaire Alexander's contract on Green Bay last year as the 18th pick in the draft 1st round and is a four year deal.  

Base Salary $5,206,566

Guaranteed Salary $5,206,566

Prorated Bonus $6,844,168

Cap Number $12,050,734

How you figure the Vikings can pay all the draft class for $3 million?

Because the off-season works under the rule of only the top 51 cap hits counting against the cap. Right now, our cut off is 570k so, for example, Dru Samia is only going to count for $109,983 in additional cap space because his $679,983 first year cap hit is going to knock Craig James $570k cap hit out of the top 51.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

Just now, Klomp said:

Really?  Browning would be lucky to make the roster, forget about competing for the backup QB position.  Sloter has that locked up I feel, especially in this new zone read run game potentially.  Sure would be great if he beats out Mannion which would not be hard, but still his arm is crazy weak at times but is a great game manager even though his senior year he disappointed I felt on the field.

Just now, RpMc said:

Because the off-season works under the rule of only the top 51 cap hits counting against the cap. Right now, our cut off is 570k so, for example, Dru Samia is only going to count for $109,983 in additional cap space because his $679,983 first year cap hit is going to knock Craig James $570k cap hit out of the top 51.

I am not a cap guy or a math guy so maybe I should not comment, but this is what they currently are paying just a few of the players they drafted last year.  To say they can pay this entire class for under $3 million just seems odd to me, especially considering it is not like they all play on one year deals or something it is a four year or three year deal most likely.  

Mike Hughes 4 yr $9,867,484

Brian O'Neill 4 yr $4,406,638 

Holmes 4 yr  $3,191,398 

Conklin 4 yr $2,741,031

PS obviously they are not huge fans of Conklin already with drawing Irv Smith at TE.....

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the Vikings aren’t hampered by some cap constraints. The point being made is that there are a number of ways to make room for the draft class.

When you pay good players the cap gets tighter. That’s why Rob B has a job.

Rudolph
Waynes
Reiff
Anthony Harris
Alexander
Kearse
Weatherly
Bower
Eric Wilson
Sloter
Treadwell
CJ Ham

————

Rudolph is gone baring an extension to lower his cap number this year. The lack of an extension already and the selection of Smith cements that. Treadwell is inconsequential as he won’t be back. Reiff isn’t a free agent, so now you’re just making stuff up. Wilson, Ham, Bower and Sloter are RFAs, and none of them will be terrible expensive. 

So $20M (assuming a $200M cap and the team not exercising its option on Griffen). 

Waynes, Alexander, Harris, Kearse, Weatherly... yeah, I’m not worried. One of Waynes/Alexander likely won’t be back unless they jettison Rhodes (which again would save money). Kearse isn’t going to get a lucrative deal here. Weatherly might be a moderately spendy keep, but again, the Vikings have always been good with managing the cap, so, again, not worried. 

• Like 3

I liked what the Vikes did. 1 starting IOL and another that should be in the mix. They got a rb who will probably get 10 touches a game and compliments Cook. The 3rd round trades to several late round fliers was really good too,

I will say I’m don’t like the Smith Jr pick. At 6’2” he’s probably a h back in the nfl, which a second seems high for.