The 2019 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

RpMc

The Vikings now have 10 of their 12 draft picks under contract. Seventh-round pick Kris Boyd became the latest rookie to sign with the team on Sunday. It’s a four-year deal for the former Texas Longhorn.

Boyd was a starter in Austin the last three seasons and was an All-Big 12 pick during his final college season. Boyd had 67 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and an interception on his way to receiving that honor.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/05/vikings-sign-seventh-rounder-kris-boyd/

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I heard that Cutting won’t sign his contract until a decision is made regarding his service commitment. 

Which makes sense, and Bradbury can't really sign his deal until the team clears enough room for it under the Top 51 I've heard.

A like notification reminded me that I nailed these predictions on draft day

On 4/25/2019 at 6:26 PM, Klomp said:

Feeling Bradbury or Dillard tonight, and I think we'll take a RB earlier than most fans expect (Rd 4 at latest)

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Thoughts on this class after a year?

Bradbury's first year was concerning. I am not ready to put down hope, but the team have a contingency plan in place in case he hasn't improved.

I like Smith Jr and Mattison.

Samia I have no idea on, but the fact he didn't make it onto the active roster as a backup when the starting guards were hurt is something that concerns me.

Beyond that, there looks to be some good finds. I don't know about Smith. Watts looks like he was worth the 6th round investment. Epps got caught up in the wash when the Vikings picked up Sendejo and tried to slide Epps down to the practice squad. The Eagles wouldn't have that. Odoh has some potential but the Cleveland pick this year suggests the Vikings didn't see enough out of him in the first year to expect him to take over as a starting tackle. The speculation of him playing guard is mildly intriguing. Boyd, Johnson, and Cutting all look to be useful pieces. I am not sure about Dillon Mitchell.

I'm very happy about this draft at this point.  If Epps hadn't been sniped by the Eagles, we'd be talking about practically every single pick as a part of the team in some capacity and most of them providing some contribution (even Epps did prior to the Sendejo retribution).  Right now, this class looks phenomenal.  I'm not even at all concerned about Bradbury at this point.  I fully expect him to take a pretty good jump this year.  

Edited by swede700

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If Epps hadn't been sniped by the Eagles, we'd be talking about practically every single pick as a part of the team in some capacity and most of them providing some contribution.

It is probably worth noting that the move that caused the Vikings to lose Epps is also now in line to gain them a future compensatory pick, so that swap wasn't a complete loss after the '19 season. Sendejo was also instrumental down the stretch given the DB injuries. Overall, it seems like it was fair for the Vikings to cast off Epps in favor of Sendejo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

It is probably worth noting that the move that caused the Vikings to lose Epps is also now in line to gain them a future compensatory pick, so that swap wasn't a complete loss after the '19 season. Sendejo was also instrumental down the stretch given the DB injuries. Overall, it seems like it was fair for the Vikings to cast off Epps in favor of Sendejo.

Just as long as it doesn't turn into another Justin Coleman situation.  ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Bradbury is a starter, Irv Smith, Mattison, Bisi Johnson and Cutting are all important roleplayers, and Samia might start this year. Udoh, Boyd, Watts and Smith are also depth pieces.

That is an incredible haul out of a single draft.

in terms of players that actually stick on the roster it is, but obviously it's lacking an impact player. 

and none of those guys i would say have good odds to become above average starters. tight ends take a while to develop and he has the draft pedigree so Irv Smith Jr. might have the best shot, bradbury obviously has the athletic ability and draft pedigree so he'll be given chances to improve and samia is a question mark but he has a big opportunity this season so he might turn out well. Mattison is solid but definitely replacement-level and Cutting is a long snapper so he'll see a second contract unless his play falls off. I don't like the chances of many of the other guys you listed seeing a second contract with the vikings.

• Like 1

Wanted to add this to the draft class, the Vikings typically draft/end up with a couple of guys on the physical freaks list.

2019 list:
#13 - Jeff Gladney (620 lb squat, 400 lb bench, 400 lb clean... at 191 pounds)
#33 - Jordan Fehr (415 lb bench, 4.45 40, 40.5" vertical... at 230 pounds)

2018 list:
#23 - Harrison Hand (11.5" broad jump, 40" vertical, 4.31 40 YD - not his combine from this year obviously)

-----

Neville Gallimore, who we attempted to trade up for, made the list both years.

20 hours ago, RpMc said:

Wanted to add this to the draft class, the Vikings typically draft/end up with a couple of guys on the physical freaks list.

2019 list:
#13 - Jeff Gladney (620 lb squat, 400 lb bench, 400 lb clean... at 191 pounds)
#33 - Jordan Fehr (415 lb bench, 4.45 40, 40.5" vertical... at 230 pounds)

2018 list:
#23 - Harrison Hand (11.5" broad jump, 40" vertical, 4.31 40 YD - not his combine from this year obviously)

-----

Neville Gallimore, who we attempted to trade up for, made the list both years.

Wow! All great numbers. Man, Gladney's a beast at 191 pounds.