I’m gunna say it

Slappy Mc

We have to wait and see how this plays out, everyone overreacts right after draft day.  I remember the Davis/Thomas/Kelly draft getting rave reviews, and that turned out to be a horrific draft.  

I will say that it appears we played the draft game well, but now the talent has to produce on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah w/o the Heart rumors which on second opinion - which I don't understand why wasn't done the next day! - was determined to NOT be what the NFL (company doctors) thought it was, then he would have been a top 10 pick, maybe top 5 to Oakland or the Jets. 

I think Sweat has a better career than Ferrell who the Raiders took at 4.

Has Dan become a master of manipulating the draft board league wide? Not a chance. Someone was trying to get Sweat later than 26

5 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Has Dan become a master of manipulating the draft board league wide? Not a chance. Someone was trying to get Sweat later than 26

If Dan manipulated the draft so Sweat would fall, he wouldn't have bothered to trade back up to get him. Houston's doctors, I think, told him about the misdiagnosis but they weren't in play for him. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, daboyle250 said:

If Dan manipulated the draft so Sweat would fall, he wouldn't have bothered to trade back up to get him. Houston's doctors, I think, told him about the misdiagnosis but they weren't in play for him. 

If he did manipulate, and I’d bet my house he isn’t capable of such things, the reason for him doing so would be to trade up to get him without losing next years 1. It’s well known Shula did this for Marino years ago. Washington was the only team that didn’t pass on him as we took Darrell Green with the next pick. Sure there’s dozens of other examples. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Dan Snyder? I'm pretty sure Kyle Smith ran draft board. I do agree that someone was going to take Sweat, my guess was the Patriots were going to take him.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Dan Snyder? I'm pretty sure Kyle Smith ran draft board. I do agree that someone was going to take Sweat, my guess was the Patriots were going to take him.

Whoever started that rumor, be it Dan, Kyle,  a jealous ex, someone from another organization, wanted the kid to fall and he fell. Just glad the Skins were heads up enough to take advantage.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We have to wait and see how this plays out, everyone overreacts right after draft day.  I remember the Davis/Thomas/Kelly draft getting rave reviews, and that turned out to be a horrific draft.  

I will say that it appears we played the draft game well, but now the talent has to produce on the field. 

Not from me. I absolutely loathed that draft more than any I can ever remember except when we took Doctson and when we passed on Warren Sapp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Whoever started that rumor, be it Dan, Kyle,  a jealous ex, someone from another organization, wanted the kid to fall and he fell. Just glad the Skins were heads up enough to take advantage.

It wasn't a rumor. The Montez Sweat heart issues came out of his doctor evaluation at the combine.  

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It wasn't a rumor. The Montez Sweat heart issues came out of his doctor evaluation at the combine.  

True but it’s widely known by people much smarter than us that those scans can sometimes show shadows, which makes the heart walls appear thicker. When this happens another scan is usually ordered immediately because it would be a life threatening situation. 

To only reveal results of that first scan hours before the draft starts, fishy to me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

True but it’s widely known by people much smarter than us that those scans can sometimes show shadows, which makes the heart walls appear thicker. When this happens another scan is usually ordered immediately because it would be a life threatening situation. 

To only reveal results of that first scan hours before the draft starts, fishy to me. 

Me too, but I don’t think that means that we or anyone else was smart enough to manipulate that. That's a conspiracy theory and I don't buy into those much at all.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Me too, but I don’t think that means that we or anyone else was smart enough to manipulate that. That's a conspiracy theory and I don't buy into those much at all.

I’m not a conspiracy guy either but this one is too juicy to pass up

On 4/27/2019 at 10:39 PM, mike23md said:

If they promote him to GM, they will lose him. 

Bruce cannot handle the credit to go to anyone but him. 

Dan: "We've decided to promote Kyle Smith to President of the franchise."
Bruce: "... but I'm the president."
Dan: "So, about that ..."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Supposedly, Oakland was targeting Sweat at 27. A bit odd since they took Ferrell at 4, but I guess A) they need all the pass rush help they can get, and B) talent is talent, especially when it is falling.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Supposedly, Oakland was targeting Sweat at 27. A bit odd since they took Ferrell at 4, but I guess A) they need all the pass rush help they can get, and B) talent is talent, especially when it is falling.

So little brother back doored big brother. That would have been some haul for the Raiders. Oh well 😎

On 4/28/2019 at 6:17 AM, taylor made said:

Let's cool on the Kyle Smith is the next great GM talk. He is the poster boy for nepotism. It didn't take a genius to take Dwayne Haskins there at #15. I'm much more interested to see how Montez Sweat turns out considering we mortgaged our future there. McLaurin was a shrewd selection in round 3 and he will help ease Haskins' transition but his upside is nothing more than a WR2. I thought our Day 3 was underwhelming largely in part of a horrible round 4/5s. R6/R7 were solid but the trade down from R3 to grab those two R4 players was a Scott M. Matt Jones-esque move.

I agree with you on Kyle Smith.  Assuming, Kyle Smith was the primary leader on setting the draft board, he did an excellent job.  If so he is looking like an incredible college scout and talented at setting up an ace draft board.  However, there is a stark difference between that job and being a GM.  The GM has to handle the pro side too, the coaching staff and the contracts.  If he did play as serious a role as we think, then we should extend his contract with an offer of so much money that he can't refuse.

In terms of mortgaging our future, I think that is crazy talk.  A second round pick next year is worth a 3rd this year.  So we essentially paid a 2nd + 3rd for a 1st rounder which is cheap by any draft value chart.

I think in a couple years we will be debating whether the Sweat trade or the pick of Bryce Love was the move of our draft.  Haskins, well, we got the potential franchise qb at a very reasonable price and we certainly needed one.  I think it was a prudent move, but I also think his chance of becoming that guy is not high.  However, that assessment goes for all the 1st round qbs (pretty much for all of history).