• Takitaki
    • Redwine
    • Wilson
    • Seibert
    • Forbes
    • Lewis
  3. 3. Least favorite pick/use of

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Share your thoughts on the draft; rate this puppy. 

Overall decent.  OBJ is gonna make an impact, Greedy is great value for where we took him, the other guys should play a role and hopefully some will develop.

Did we maximize the use of our draft capital? 

Nah, we didn’t acquire any picks for next year and spent a relatively high pick on a kicker.

What are your criticism of the draft or our approach to it.

No criticisms.  It was unspectacular, but very solid.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It was the type of draft I wanted and felt we needed. We added depth and a starter in the back 7.

Greedy is going to be a stud.

Agree.

I wanted CB first and foremost and help at S and LB.

We got all that, and possibly then some.

Guns are loaded.

• Like 1

Excluding the OBJ trade. Solid draft. An on base single with potential to be a double down the road. Not a triple and not a Home Run.

There's some issues with this draft in terms of how we gambled in our decision-making.

Baker Mayfield, Jarvis Landy, Myles Garrett, and Odell Beckham Jr all have the internal drive to be great and legendary football players. It's their guiding principles as professionals that no matter what personality quirk or personality shortcomings they are going to work diligently to be great and are self-driven. That's the winning culture of this team. Sioine Takitaki, Austin Seibert, and Drew Forbes are all spoken of as cultural fits that way.

My only issue with this draft is that two of our central picks (Mack Wilson more so than Greedy Williams but Greedy as well) are players that don't embody that desired balance of being both an energy giver to the dedicated workmen-like culture of the team (in fact one may be a negative energy add) and on-field talent/ability. They have not been known as players that are driven by the pursuit of greatness/excellence but instead settle on the power of their talent. Of course, nothing is certain. These our young human beings that have room for growth and evolution. And that's what we're betting on; that one day they can grow to be a cultural leader, energy-giver, expresses his love for the game through his play and preparation, high level competitive focus, high level football/professional/off-field maturity, and high level competitive sacrifice.

With Greedy Williams not really having the play toughness or on-field competitive sacrifice (various plays where he needs to give his body up but he finessed dodged the forceful play or was undisciplined in his assignment and in one case causing a teammate chewed him out the whole way off the field). According to various people in the scouting business, he also is not an energy giver to the workman-like attitude of the team in terms of preparation and focus.

Then there's Mack Wilson. His maturity, leadership, and awareness are closer to the opposite side of the spectrum to Takitaki based on a wide-range of reliable sources. He had rough relationships with coaches and some teammates b/c of his immaturity and unwillingness to sacrifice certain things (his social media distraction usage) and commit more to others cultivating leadership relationship with his teammates and committing more to film study) for the team.

Tosh Lupoi our new defensive line coach and former Alabama defensive coordinator coached Wilson hard and he did not respond well at times. It seems to me as if they may be hoping Takitaki and Wilson form a bond and the positives of Sione rub off on Mack. Lupoi knows the talent can be special. We only spent a 5th round pick on him.

Overall we took some gambles on talent in key parts of the draft where I thought there was both talent and less risk to the winning culture of our team. So, I give the draft a B-minus. Just a little bit better than average but with the caveat that it could turn into an A depending on Greedy and Mack.

• Like 1

@Kiwibrown

Good poll Qs and discussion thread.

It's hard to answer the first question in the poll b/c of the  "Including acquire Odell" part out makes it so I could think the drafts a B-minus but with Odell it's an A+ and another person could think the drafts an A-minus and with Odell it's an A+. Odell makes the draft amazing either way

@Mind Character

I did notice the football character thing. To Dorsey football character  is a huge deal, he is happy to gamble on callaway and hunt, and happy to get rid of Josh gordon and Caleb Brantley, football charater is a big deal in Dorseys mind, I think it is a principle that dorsey and freddie agree on.  teh caveat is that the player has to be talented. We have had previous regimes where character mattered more than talent, the Patriot/mangini way, or talent trumps character, Butch and Walrus

Mack and greedy are both football character risks I agree, it will be interesting to see how they respond to the weight of the room leaning towards hard work, sacrifice and a desire to win. It could be that they both only spend their first contract here, as Greedy ego builds, like say Marcus Peters his time here comes closer to an end,. We dont know how any of these guys will respond to fame, money, success and failure. If Greedy booms n our defense and gets 4-8 picks, who knows what will happen to him. 

Dorsey seems to get the psychology of a football player right.

I included OBJ in the polling because a draft pick is an asset to acquire wins for your team to some extent, we leveraged that asset to get OBJ, I dont think we can think of this daft without thinking of acquiring OBJ in terms of how it helps our team win. I agree it is a Bish draft, but it is a Bish draft and the acquisition of OBJ whether someone likes him or not.  It is also underwhelming compared to last year. 

My only critique is that we didn't acquire future picks. We are going to need future high picks to keep our team loaded aroundBaker, OBJ, Garrett and Ward.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It seems to me as if they may be hoping Takitaki and Wilson form a bond and the positives of Sione rub off on Mack.

I think that Mack, Greedy and every other new kid on the block is going to get full-court culture pressure from the players we have accumulated and the coaching staff.

It's about their coming around to our way of thinkin'.

If they do we win big. If they don't they are gone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I think that Mack, Greedy and every other new kid on the block is going to get full-court culture pressure from the players we have accumulated and the coaching staff.

It's about their coming around to our way of thinkin'.

If they do we win big. If they don't they are gone.

More or less this.  

I don’t think they’re hoping some grown man becomes buddies with another grown man and the “good” one changes the “bad” one like @Mind Character is dreaming up. (just between us, that guys nuts)

• Like 1

I'm not super worried about the energy-giving aspect of drafting guys like Mack Wilson.  I think when you slip into the 5th, you know what is at stake as far as laying it all out there.  You know that if you don't show up, you can be out of the league before you know it.  The entitlement has to go away, or you won't make it, and your livelihood and dreams are gone.  That's why it's tough to take a guy like that in the 2nd or 3rd.  He knows he's safe and can coast to an extent.  Accountability in the locker room is important, but when you know what is at stake, you'd like to think that the self-drive will land the person where they need to be as far as talent goes.  If it doesn't work out, I think it's still a worthwhile swing in the 5th round, as opposed to going for a guy that only has backup potential.  There's a balance there, so I think not going for 'singles' with some of these picks does have a potential advantage. 

• Like 3