• Redwine
    • Wilson
    • Seibert
    • Forbes
    • Lewis
  3. 3. Least favorite pick/use of

11 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Horseunit

You tracked all the browns pre draft work, what are your thoughts after the draft?

So I was in Hocking Hills all this weekend and for the first time in as long as I can remember missed the draft on television.  I was updated via my phone on Browns selections.

Overall I think I had the opposite reaction to others when it came to our selections.

Greedy Williams was a player I had hoped we stayed away from back when we had pick 17.  We took him a round later.  Most people would say that that's good value but I would have gone in a different direction. (I have flashbacks of the Justin Gilbert selection.)

Sione Takitaki Love that we made him a Brownie.  Felt he could have been had a round or two later, but if you like a player just go and get them right.

Sheldrick Redwine I liked this pick. Versatility is the name of the game and Redwine has the play style and personality that will be enjoyed by fans.

Mack Wilson I didn't really want him.  But I guess in round five it doesn't really matter

Seibert reminds me of Zane Gonzalez which seemed like a waste of a pick.

The lineman I had never heard of but from what I have read he seems like a decent late round selection.

Donnie lewis was a player the Browns brought in for a visit, so they liked him enough to give him a try.

Overall I wish we would have traded a few of these selections for future picks.  But I'm really glad we didn't give up anything significant for 2020. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- How do we know if they slid specifically because of personality or track record? How do you know why a team passed on a guy? It simply could have been that they had the guy they drafted higher on their board, none of us know why teams passed on a guy unless they actually verbalize it, everything else is purely speculation.

- And as far as Taki Taki, that's is more the doing of ESPN (which IMO has turned into TMZ), if you paid attention they didn't resist airing every player's dirty laundry on the best day of their lives which is embarrassing.

- As far as the combustible personalities A) We've had similar personalities back in the 80's and we faired pretty well B) The team that Dorsey built with all of these combustible personalities were in the AFC Championship, and are the favorites to win the AFC currently

We shall see, I hope it works but I just think it's something to monitor and not just brush off. I think it can work as a jumpstart in the short term, but at some point your going to need to turn some of these guys over for guys with Ward, Garrett, Bitonio, Kirksey and Schoberts demeanor for the long term 

I mean we are currently watching it blow up in the face of the Cheifs with Hunt/Hill. The questions about them during draft time 2-3 years later are coming back out of the woodwork and boning the Cheifs. Peters was also shipped off for under market value because the FO couldn't stand his chemistry and person any longer.

Either way, I hope it works regardless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

There's not a problem with it, I'm just saying that we sacrificed fortifying other positions with more depth for the sake of over saturating the LB group.

Over saturating?  It was a 3 and a 5 to help fix our ST and plan for next season’s eventual cuts.  These guys will be replacing guys like Ray Ray Armstrong,  D’Juan Hines, etc on the active roster.  

It’s not like they dropped a pair of top 10 picks on the position.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just would have liked to see the DL and OL get a little more attention. It was completely possible to add depth at every position group but but they went with a more condensed approach which isn't right or wrong-- just my personal preference.

They added a pair of OL in FA and one later in the draft as well as 2 high level starters in FA/trade.  It’s not like they were ignored.

For the personality thing, I think it is 100% possible to field a really good football team without having to sacrifice character. I get having 2-3 guys on your team that are talented but are loose cannons, however the Browns seemingly are trying to build a team where 1/2 the roster are guys who slid in the draft because nobody else wanted them because of personality or track records. Dorsey more than straddles the line, he's fully across it.

And what has it cost him?  His former team was in the AFC Championship game last season.

Hell, the first thing that popped up on the screen when they drafted Taki was his rap sheet. At some point having this many types of personalities on a team could get very combustible very fast the moment something goes wrong. On or off the field.

And I’m guessing if ESPN did their homework they’d realize he’s apparently a completely different person.  He was young, made a mistake.  Since then he left the team and school, figured a few things out, came back to school and the team, got married and became a team captain.  

People change man, he’s not a dumbass 18 year old kid any longer.

The last 2 highly drafted kickers with crazy college records (Aguayo, Gonzalez) are either no longer in the NFL or have already been released once.

Gonzalez was the 224th pick.  How many players in his draft spot are in a similar position?

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

We shall see, I hope it works but I just think it's something to monitor and not just brush off. I think it can work as a jumpstart in the short term, but at some point your going to need to turn some of these guys over for guys with Ward, Garrett, Bitonio, Kirksey and Schoberts demeanor for the long term 

I mean we are currently watching it blow up in the face of the Cheifs with Hunt/Hill. The questions about them during draft time 2-3 years later are coming back out of the woodwork and boning the Cheifs. Peters was also shipped off for under market value because the FO couldn't stand his chemistry and person any longer.

Either way, I hope it works regardless

To be clear though, we haven’t brought in anyone with issues as bad as Hill’s.

Even the guys we’ve brought in with questionable character concerns have been day 3 picks and cheap FA’s.  If they work out, great, if not you haven’t invested much.

If he were drafting clowns in rounds 1 and 2 I’d be more concerned, but he’s not and never has.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree it’s not a position you’d ideally like to draft, but I think we all know why they did.  Joseph was... exciting... last season.  Even his makes were ugly and Gonzalez potentially cost us a couple of wins.

Of course I’d rather not be drafting kickers, but I’d also rather not have special teams like we’ve seen the last few years.  If that means over investing to fix a significant deficiency, so be it.

Yup. I'm tired of not having a kicker that cannot be trusted, so I have zero issues drafting one on day three. My issue is, the kicker we drafted just doesn't sound too promising. I definitely hope Seibert proves me wrong though.

• Like 2