First impressions of Mike Mayock's first draft as GM

RaidersAreOne

What are your first impressions of this class?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of this class?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2019 at 11:00 AM

mayockscoutsap.jpg?itok=4ICrP2yI

I am NOT here to pimp the Raiders draft class, far from it. I am looking for an unbiased opinion from you draft experts on how he did his first draft at the helm.The reason I ask is obvious, I don't think there's ever been a bigger TV draft personality before, and the fact he had the opportunity to step in as GM for a franchise with tons of draft capital is an NFL fans dream come true.

He can talk the talk but did he prove himself to be a capable drafter at first glance? Of course there was some Gruden influence but for the most part it sounds like it mostly all Mayock. He also orchestrated a number of trade downs and ups, most of which we got good value for.

• Round 1, Pick No. 4: Clelin Ferrell, Edge, Clemson
  • Round 1, Pick No. 24: Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
  • Round 1, Pick No. 27: Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
  • Round 2, Pick No. 40: Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson
  • Round 4, Pick No. 106: Maxx Crosby, Edge, Eastern Michigan
  • Round 4, Pick No. 129: Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston
  • Round 4, Pick No. 137: Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
  • Round 5, Pick No. 149: Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
  • Round 7, Pick No. 230: Quinton Bell, DE, Prairie View

Obviously we won't know the final results for 2-3 years, but I am curious of everyones initial reactions of his final class. 

Edited by RaidersAreOne

I generally liked his draft overall.  The top three guys I think are pretty bust-proof.  I don't think any of them will ever be top-5 at their respective positions, but they will produce at a very good level.  Didn't really like the Mullen pick as I wasn't high on him.  But I loved the last 5 picks.  Absolutely loved them.  Crosby and Isaiah are elite athletes that just need coaching and development to be top tier guys.  Moreau could be a very solid #2 TE.  Renfrow is a great fit in the slot.  Bell is another developmental edge guy with great athleticism.

Safe, solid picks to start combined with high ceiling guys later.  I like that approach.  

Side note - All three of their first picks would run through a wall for their coach, so I do love that part.  Extremely high character guys.  And I think with the move to Vegas next year, they needed that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Mayock has the final say. But I've never been very impressed with him, and I'm not very impressed with this draft class. It's not a bad class, but with all of the moves the Raiders have made, I think you need to go into this class looking to build the foundation of a great team. I feel like they treated it as if that foundation was already built.

• Like 1

Looks promising other than the value on his first pick.  That one I won't ever understand unless he knows something about Farrell that the rest of us have not seen.  Even then you'd think he'd have gotten him with a trade down and that some team would have moved up for 4. 

I think if you have 3 first round picks and one of them is top 5 you have to do better than what they did there. I like that they traded down and got more draft picks but I didn't really like any of their picks in the first round and that is pretty hard to do. It looks like they wanted to rebuild their defense but I would have just chosen other guys. They passed on some pretty top rated prospects - Josh Allen, Devin White, Montez Sweat, DeAndre Baker, Byron Murphy & Greedy Williams.

I laugh when they say he over reached with the 4th pick. Why is it a over reach, who says it a over reach Kiper, Cassidy, Bucky! No one knows Shcit. He took a player he liked after do his evaluation. 40 % of the 1st round picks will be bust and that is a fact.

Rae Carruth, WR, No. 27 Overall Pick in 1997 by Carolina Panthers.

Aundray Bruce, DE, No. 1 Overall Pick in 1988 by Atlanta Falcons. ...

Penn State RBs: Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis. ...

Houston QBs: Andre Ware and David Klingler.------- and many more.

Many were considered can't miss players. How that work out.  Many of you are saying  Clelin Ferrell should of been picked between 10 -15 , How ironic, so your saying HE CAN PLAY AT A HIGH LEVEL.  And that's all you can hope for when you pick anyone.

I give him an A because he had a plan and a type he was looking for and went out and did it.

First two picks are pretty bad.

Ferrell, while not a bad player was a massive reach and he passed up elite prospects for him.

Jacobs is awfully overrated, wasn't a starter on his own team, and is from a school that always has runningbacks overdrafted.

His guys just aren't my guys, like philosophically I disagree with:

• drafting a pass rusher without a complete athletic profile.
  • spending a first round pick on running back, particularly a running back who is not an "elite talent."
  • spending a first round pick on a safety who is better against the run than the pass.

I mean, maybe he's right but I can't get past how much I dislike that first round.  He seems to have drafted "character over everything" but at some point you're going to need big, strong, fast people.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

@PossibleCabbage largely summed up how I feel, particularly with regards to philosophy. 

I don't like spending a first round pick on a running back unless they are special. Jacobs isn't "special" in my opinion. I definitely don't like spending a first round pick on a box safety in a league that is becoming more and more based around the passing game. 

I have slightly fewe problems with Ferrell, but I certainly didn't have him as a top five pick. He's a guy to me that has a reasonable floor, but a limited ceiling. I don't see him as a consistent double digit sack artist. If they favored him over other edge rushers such as Allen (scheme fit?), Sweat (possible heart issues, etc), I get it, I just don't necessarily agree. Personally, I think that they missed an opportunity when they didn't make a trade with the Jets for QW. Granted, that is just a rumor, and I get that a second round pick was a huge cost for that, but I thought QW was on a different tier from the guys available after he was gone. Like Cabbage, I just don't love the value of that first round at all. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I feel like they targeted players with high floors instead of high ceilings.  Wouldn’t surprise me if most of their picks become good players but I don’t see any potential stars.

That's my problem with the draft. The Raiders are more or less building from the ground up. I think you need to swing for the fences. I'm not saying you do that on every pick, but you need to do it on some. I think they took the safe route. But rarely do teams become great without at least a couple elite players.

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

I laugh when they say he over reached with the 4th pick. Why is it a over reach, who says it a over reach Kiper, Cassidy, Bucky! No one knows Shcit. He took a player he liked after do his evaluation. 40 % of the 1st round picks will be bust and that is a fact.

Rae Carruth, WR, No. 27 Overall Pick in 1997 by Carolina Panthers.

Aundray Bruce, DE, No. 1 Overall Pick in 1988 by Atlanta Falcons. ...

Penn State RBs: Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis. ...

Houston QBs: Andre Ware and David Klingler.------- and many more.

Many were considered can't miss players. How that work out.  Many of you are saying  Clelin Ferrell should of been picked between 10 -15 , How ironic, so your saying HE CAN PLAY AT A HIGH LEVEL.  And that's all you can hope for when you pick anyone.

I give him an A because he had a plan and a type he was looking for and went out and did it.

I’m sure you’d make a great high school teacher with that kind of grading style.