First impressions of Mike Mayock's first draft as GM

RaidersAreOne

What are your first impressions of this class?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of this class?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2019 at 11:00 AM

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

His guys just aren't my guys, like philosophically I disagree with:

• drafting a pass rusher without a complete athletic profile.

Agreed with most of your other points but wouldn't it be safe to assume they worker out Ferrel privately so they could complete his profile?

My biggest thing was this - yes they got a replacement for Mack but Ferrell over a guy like Josh Allen? I like Ferrell's first step and ability to set the edge, but he lacks the same overall athleticism and bend around the corner that Josh Allen has, plus he's a lot more scheme versatile. I was shocked with that pick, but I don't outright hate it. EDGE players are relatively safe picks especially when you're getting one of your top 2 choices in the whole draft.

Don't have so much of an issue on Jacobs and Abram but didn't really great positional value there. I like each player individually, two of the toughest players in the entire draft.

Then I thought about the Mullen pick and asked myself why they passed up Greedy for someone who's definitely not as talented, but again I see a theme of toughness here. Mullen is scrappy whereas Greedy has already put piss poor tackling effort on tape. Can't blame him there but I would've probably allocated my assets differently.

4) Allen

24) Jacobs

27) Baker

35) Probably still could've gotten Abram here

And I like all the late round picks too, no issue with those. Also liked that he took players from winning programs. He's trying to establish the right culture here and for that I give him an A.

• Like 1

Average to good.

Mayock played it safe and slightly overdrafted in the 1st round for all 3 and Mullen. But he got 5 starters imo with Crosby and possibly Coney as well.

I would have picked different players but it seems like Mayock and Gruden want to lay a solid foundation and players who have little bust potential. 

13 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I feel like they won day 3. They passed up great players for good players the first 2 days though. When you have that many holes, don’t target players, play the board as it falls.

I really think that the first draft, the actual experience really was different on Day 1 for Mayock than sideline mockfests / pick evaluations.   When it's Rd1, being able to project the board and maximize value is paramount, and in Rd1, it's not an unreasonable expectation, certainly not for the top 10, and certainly not for a draftnik like Mayock.  He may not be perfect, or get it right even 3/4 of the time, but he was brought in to for his ability to evaluate draft talent first and foremost.    Maybe Ferrell is totally going to work out - but it sure seems like he missed an opp to trade back and accrue more assets/value, on an org that needs that desperately.    Unlike other situations where you must get a good return to justify it - if he was so locked into Ferrell, a sub-value return is still better to explore than staying at 1.4.   Maybe he really tried and no one bit - but given the activity and the discussions some teams like BUF/DET had to move up, seems like there was a missed opp.

So to get safe floor guys over best talents, I really don't think that's a great idea.  I also don't think you target specific players, unless they are head and shoulders above the alternatives, and even then, you mine for value - you don't reach way past their tier to get them.    That's the flaw Elway had in 2013-17 that killed our drafts.  

It seems to me that Mayock found his footing in Day 3, though.   There, once they were past the top 70, Mayock's abilities probably separated him.    It's just that was a very underwhelming return on Day 1-2 value.  Sure there's no known outcome - but you also can only work off of best info available.   Maybe the picks all work out, maybe they don't.  But it sure seems like he got sub-value returns for the capital he was given Day 1-2, while his Day 3 was really strong, one of the bests around. We'll see.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

One of my favourite parts of the weekend was watching Mayock talk to the prospects on the phone while they were being picked. I really believe in the culture he's trying to establish in Oakland. He's a genuine good dude. I thought it was a very solid draft. Obviously taking Ferrell that early was a bit of a stunner, but I like him as a prospect.

I love Mayock, man. I'm going to watch the Raiders closely this season. I really hope he does well. He's such an easy guy to root for. 

• Like 5