Evaluating the AFC North Drafts

NateDawg

Best Draft?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Best Draft?

2. 2. Worst Draft

Baltimore:

(1): Marquise Brown (WR, OU)

(3): Jaylon Ferguson (DE, Louisiana Tech)

(3): Myles Boykin (WR, UND)

(4): Justice Hill (RB, OKST)

(4): Ben Powers (OG, OU)

(4): Iman Marshall (CB, USC)

(5): Daylon Mack (DT, A&M)

(6): Trace McSorley (QB, PSU)

Cincinnati:

(1): Jonah Williams (OT, Bama)

(2): Drew Sample (TE, UW)

(3): Germaine Pratt (OLB, NCST)

(4): Ryan Finley (QB, NCST)

(4): Renell Wren (ASU, DT)

(4): Michael Jordan (OG, OSU)

(6): Trayveon Williams (RB, A&M)

(6): Deshaun Davis (ILB, Aub)

(6): Rodney Anderson (RB, OU)

(7): Jordan Brown (CB, SDSU)

Cleveland

(2): Greedy Williams (CB, LSU)

(3): Sione Takitaki (LB, BYU)

(4): Sheldrick Redwine (SS, Miami)

(5): Mack Wilson (ILB, Bama)

(5): Austin Siebert (K, OU)

(6): Drew Forbes (OL, SMSU)

(7): Donnie Lewis Jr (CB, Tulane)

Pittsburgh

(1): Devin Bush (LB, UM)

(3): Diontae Johnson (WR, Toledo)

(3): Justin Layne (CB, MSU)

(4): Benny Snell Jr (RB, UK)

(5): Zach Gentry (TE, UM)

(6): Sutton Smith (OLB, NIU)

(6): Isaiah Buggs (NG, Bama)

(6): Ulysses Gilbert III (ILB, Akron)

(7): Derwin Gray (OG, Maryland)

Make your judgments based on the players obtained the past three days and not factoring in trades such as Odell, which is included in our trades/FA pickups, which we obviously won on. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

Pitt has a player on defense who will work well against all AFC north opponents, he will neutralize Lamars running, help against the pass  of cle and cinci, I cant see Bush not becoming the best LB in the division pretty quickly. 

I dont think Balt will be bale to utilize Marquise Brown this year or next and he doesn't help their running game. 

Cinci still has a bad oline despite getting Williams

I like greedy for us

1 pitt

2 Browns

3 Bengals 

4 balt

• Like 1

I tend to think Pittsburgh did a pretty good job also.  Given that they gave up a 2nd, they still managed to come away with a pair of 3rds including Layne, when they needed some serious secondary help.  Bush is going to be very solid roaming the middle of the field and has some real speed.  Snell is a solid value in the 4th round also, to go with Conner. 

Cincinnati in particular continues to not scare me. 

8 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I tend to think Pittsburgh did a pretty good job also.  Given that they gave up a 2nd, they still managed to come away with a pair of 3rds including Layne, when they needed some serious secondary help.  Bush is going to be very solid roaming the middle of the field and has some real speed.  Snell is a solid value in the 4th round also, to go with Conner. 

Agreed, they were my number 1.

Baltimore is probably 2.  I don’t love what they’re trying to do with Jackson, but they are going all in and their pieces are intriguing.

We probably came in 3rd but it’s debatable with Cincy.  Not having a 1st hurts the overall appeal and impact.

8 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Cincinnati in particular continues to not scare me. 

Yeah, a bunch of yawn moves imo, they don’t move the needle much.  Jonah will help, but I don’t see an elite tackle when I watch him.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed, they were my number 1.

Baltimore is probably 2.  I don’t love what they’re trying to do with Jackson, but they are going all in and their pieces are intriguing.

We probably came in 3rd but it’s debatable with Cincy.  Not having a 1st hurts the overall appeal and impact.

Yeah, a bunch of yawn moves imo, they don’t move the needle much.  Jonah will help, but I don’t see an elite tackle when I watch him.

I think we have similar rankings.  Given that we don't have a 1, I think I'd go:

1. Pittsburgh

2. Baltimore

3. Cleveland/Cincinnati

This isn't to say that I don't think we couldn't still get first round type of production out of Greedy or that our draft couldn't turn out pretty good.  As always, we will see after a couple years how things turn out. 

Even if Cincinnati's draft turns out pretty good though, I see zero impact-caliber players that they came away with.  They have some singles, but they are way behind the rest of the division right now, that this draft shouldn't change the landscape for them whatsoever. 

Looking at what Pittsburgh did in the overall landscape, they didn't make impactful moves on offense but may have really helped their defense out. Baltimore went offensively heavy. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

The reality is, I think that the Browns had the worst draft in the division, but without a round 1 draft, it is hard to overcome and be best.  All 3 teams closed the gap, but I still think we are the most talented and favorites to win the division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Between Randall, Greedy and Denzel w should be able to contain the speed of Brown. I don't fear him. 

It’s not the abilities of our individuals that worries me with him/ it’s us having to load the box up and someone on him making the one mistake in a close game and bitting on the play action or the crazy scrambles Lamaar can do to keep a play alive— I love Ward but he can’t cover Brown for 7-8 seconds on extended plays.

Im hoping Jackson just flat out doesn’t progress otherwise he will give me nightmares for the next decade.

i would say not counting our trades -

Baltimore

Pitt

Cleveland

Cinci

- everyone had solid drafts honestly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Anybody think it weird that we spent a good deal of time with Ulysees Gilbert and Iman Marshall and they both wind up in division? 

I find it weird that a bunch of guys who I wanted sans Wilson went to the Steelers or Ravens. The Steelers had a great draft and the Ravens are clearly pushing all in on "Tim Tebow WILL be a thing!!!"

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ravens are clearly pushing all in on "Tim Tebow WILL be a thing!!!"

I think they had to do their best to go hard after offense due to having a 2nd year QB.  They made their investment last year there (not what I would have done).  Since they're pot-committed there though, they had to go heavy on offense to see if they can force the peg.  I think we'll probably know all that we need to about Jackson's long-term sustainability based off of this year.  He has the off-season to work on his passing, and defenses have the off-season to prepare for him this time around. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think they had to do their best to go hard after offense due to having a 2nd year QB.  They made their investment last year there (not what I would have done).  Since they're pot-committed there though, they had to go heavy on offense to see if they can force the peg.  I think we'll probably know all that we need to about Jackson's long-term sustainability based off of this year.  He has the off-season to work on his passing, and defenses have the off-season to prepare for him this time around. 

Jackson is RG3.  He will be a very dangerous weapon if he doesnt get hurt.  But that style of play is tempting fate.  Chances if injury are much higher.  A semi significant injury ended RG3 for the most part.  I think that is the reason he is the Ravens backup, to serve as a reminder, dont be too reckless or you could follow the same path.  Plus RG3 still can be semi effective I think so if he does get hurt they wont have to change everything. 

Edited by DizzyDean

1.) Steelers

2.) Browns

3.) Ravens

4.) Bengals

Steelers draft was really really good. Derwin Gray in the 7th? He'll be a starting guard. Sutton Smith is a perfect fit, versatile, and will be an elite special teams player. Devin Bush is going to be insane in that defense. Diontae Johnson is literally the next Antonio Brown imo (think AB out of college that's how much I loved his film)albeit to a lesser degree of impact as AB had next level acceleration and catch concentration. Benny Snell and Connor are seemless in style transition. Justin Layne was good value there and so was Isaiah Buggs where he went.

I think they had the best draft, Without a 1st rounder ours wasn't as good overall as theirs, but it was strong and a close 2nd. Takitaki, Redwine, Forbes, Greedy all have special contribution in their future. Wilson's the question mark.

Baltimore's was third as the only special quality impact contributions I see are from Marquis Brown, Justice Hill, and Daylon Mack. Ben Powers is so underrated. I loved his film but he doesn't have the raw skill set to ever be great great but he'll be solid through and through. MIles Boyin is meh all around in terms of his film. Jaylon Ferguson was one of the worst 3rd round picks I saw; he's a JAG. Iman Marshall is a JAG.

Cincinnati made a lot of picks but a lot of meh. Jonah Williams, Rodney Anderson (if he gets healthy and stay out of trouble him and Mixon will be the best RB-duo in the league) are the only special contribution impact players. Jordan Brown was great value; Renell Wren was great value. Finley's a JAG imo; Pratt's a JAG (I know everyone on here loved him; I watched a lot and saw JAG); Trayveon WIlliams is worse than a JAG.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3