Evaluating the AFC North Drafts

NateDawg

Best Draft?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Best Draft?

2. 2. Worst Draft

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Between Randall, Greedy and Denzel w should be able to contain the speed of Brown. I don't fear him. 

Well they don’t really have a QB who can truly utilize Browns’ speed so that’s why I’m not afraid of him

the best speedster last year for the ravens was nonexistent after Lamar took over. John Brown was actually a threat with Flacco as the QB but was a complete non factor with Jackson

• Like 1

Pittsburgh:

Layne is going to be a thorn in our sides, he's going to have his moments against us. Bush, meh If he makes plays when the play is coming right at him then I'll be a believer

Baltimore: 

Won't fear Hollywood at all while Lamar Jackson is playing QB, everyone else is meh

Cincinnati:

Jonah Williams going to be rock solid for years but won't make much of a difference, everyone else is meh

well first of all sense we are not allowed to have obj then i get that pick back

round 1 savage 4.3 safety

round 2 greedy

3 i have two picks

if this senario plays out i give this draft a A

they way you did it i give it a b

pittsburgh draft trading a 1st and a 2nd for a mlb never would I due that .

Cincinnati drafting Williams getting ready for the tank so there new qb has at least somebody blocking for him.

ravens weakest offensive in the division grade d.

• Like 1

Steelers had the best draft.

Then Baltimore. Both the Ravens and Steelers had elite drafts IMO.

Then the Bengals. They didn't hit a homerun, but it was solid.

Then the Browns. Based on the lack of a 1st rounder it was always going to be hard to catch them.

I'm just being honest, don't lynch me.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You should check out the Cleveland Browns running backs.  I hear they’re decent.

Kareem and Nick are really really good. I should've added "assuming the Bengals OL improves" as a caveat.

But what I said was what I said and I still think it's true.

Joe Mixon is more talented ability-wise at running back skill and pass catching skill than Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Mixon's utilization and impact via poor playcalling and poor OLine play thus far doesn't allow the greatness of his play to manifest in boxscore stats yet, but just evaluating what he's doing skill-wise since he's been in the league on film gives him the lead in ability displayed compared to Hunt and Chubb. It's comparing great players to great playes.

Rodney Anderson when not injured is right up there in terms of RB skill. If I ranked them all I'd say it's Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Nick Chubb, then Rodney Anderson. The Bengals in this hypothetical would get the nod based off Mixon but it would be close.

Edited by Mind Character

9 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

We keep poo pooing the marquise brown pick but he’s going to be a pain.

bubble screens, go routes, slants, reverses... they’re going to find stuff for him to do.

He certainly could be. I think there are two large presumptions with his production though.

1. He is healthy 

2. Jackson can get the ball to him. Those bubbles, slants, and reverses are even affected with a defense cheating up, when the forward pass isn’t respected. 

If the stars align though I completely agree, Brown can really play. 

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Kareem and Nick are really really good. I should've added "assuming the Bengals OL improves" as a caveat.

Joe Mixon is more talented ability-wise at running back skill and pass catching skill than Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Mixon's utilization and impact via poor playcalling and poor OLine play thus far doesn't allow the greatness of his play to manifest in boxscore stats yet, but just evaluating what he's doing skill-wise since he's been in the league on film gives him the lead in ability displayed compared to Hunt and Chubb. It's comparing great players to great playes.

Rodney Anderson when not injured is right up there in terms of RB skill. If I ranked them all I'd say it's Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Nick Chubb, then Rodney Anderson. The Bengals in this hypothetical would get the nod based off Mixon but it would be close.

Mixon is not that far ahead of Hunt. Mixon is slightly above Hunt and Chubb would be a clear #3 but Anderson cant even be close to Chubb yet . I like Anderson as a prospect but he was a huge product of his offense. that '17 year, Oklahoma had the best OL in the Nation. Everyone of those OL are in the league, Baker was the QB, top2 WRs were  high draft picks. Brown was 1st rd and Lamb will prolly top15. If we are going to hold Hunt back for what he did in KC, than Anderson gets held back for what he had around him in '17

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Mixon is not that far ahead of Hunt. Mixon is slightly above Hunt and Chubb would be a clear #3 but Anderson cant even be close to Chubb yet . I like Anderson as a prospect but he was a huge product of his offense. that '17 year, Oklahoma had the best OL in the Nation. Everyone of those OL are in the league, Baker was the QB, top2 WRs were  high draft picks. Brown was 1st rd and Lamb will prolly top15. If we are going to hold Hunt back for what he did in KC, than Anderson gets held back for what he had around him in '17

It's the old can you separate the player from the scheme/team in evaluation dilemma.

The same thing was/can be said of Baker (it's the scheme and the offense) and Joe Mixon. One of the major lessons I learned from Baker's draft evaluation is that a scheme/play-caller can be great AND a player in that scheme can be great, but extra evaluative work must be done to separate the skills of the player from the scheme.

I'm not just chalking up Kareem's production to scheme but also and primarily to skill. Mixon the same. Skill for skill-wise it's my perception that Mixon is the more skilled and able RB athlete than Kareem Hunt. It is close but I think the advantage is clear. Nick Chubb is 3rd and Anderson is 4th with Chubb having the clear advantage but it also being close.

I'm not holding Kareem back or boosting Mixon up. Like I said it's a discussion about great players. Saying one is 1st and another is 2nd doesn't mean the 2nd place guy is trash.

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think they had to do their best to go hard after offense due to having a 2nd year QB.  They made their investment last year there (not what I would have done).  Since they're pot-committed there though, they had to go heavy on offense to see if they can force the peg.  I think we'll probably know all that we need to about Jackson's long-term sustainability based off of this year.  He has the off-season to work on his passing, and defenses have the off-season to prepare for him this time around. 

Which is sort of why Im glad the Browns got Taki and Mack yesterday. They are both aggressive fast attacking LBs which is what we were missing last year when the Ravens would run all over us. Hopefully those two can continue to attack and knife through the line for a bunch of TFLs when we play the Ravens

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I don’t see Mixon as better than Hunt. Kareem was going to put up insane numbers before being cut.

Good breakdown though.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 4