3. Jamel Dean || CB || Auburn

3. Mike Edwards || S || UK

4. Anthony Nelson || EDGE || Iowa

5. Matt Gay || K || Utah

6. Scotty Miller || WR || Bowling Green

7. Terry Beckner Jr. || DT || Mizzou

1. Devin White || LB || LSU

Grade: B

We filled the biggest hole in our front seven with the best LB available. And he was worth a top five pick, despite some outrage from fans. 

White fits exactly what we wanna do on defense. And he starts the culture change of accountability BA wants for this team.

The question is positional value. And I think that's fair.

2. Sean Bunting || CB || CMU

Grade: B+

He was regarded as the best press man CB in this draft. He's got the length, ridiculous athleticism, and toughness to thrive in this defense. Bowles wants physical CBs who can be left alone in coverage and Bunting has the potential to be that guy.

His biggest knock right now is that he's grabby at the LOS. But that's something that can be easily fixed.

3. Jamel Dean || CB || Auburn

Grade: C

Similar to Bunting, Dean has everything we want in a CB for this defense. Dude's athletic af and fast. He's physical. He's got good size.

Injuries and his lack of creating turnovers are enough to give me pause. But if he can stay healthy and live up to his potential, he'll be a good pick.

3. Mike Edwards || S || UK

Grade: A-

Oof. Aside from lacking elite movement and speed, Edwards has it all. He's got amazing ball skills. He's a force against the run. He's pretty good in coverage. He never missed a game due to injury.

He has a chance to be our best pick and become a legit steal with a late third round comp pick. Justin Evans has been put on notice.

4. Anthony Nelson || EDGE || Iowa

He's a large man who moves really well for his size. He utilizes his strength and can move guys. He's got surprisingly good hands for a rookie. And he's 100% effort every play.

But he doesn't have the best first step. And that could be an issue. His size limits his quickness as a rusher as it is. Being slower off the ball compounds that.

5. Matt Gay || K || Utah

I know there was an uproar at the idea of Licht drafting another kicker. Aguayo was the first thing to come to everyone's minds. But this is the fifth round; where four kickers were drafted.

Gay can kick it out of the stadium. And he's got the accuracy beyond 40 that Aguayo was incapable of. He can be Janikowski good.

But kicker. And ******* curses.

6. Scotty Miller || WR || Bowling Green

Scotty is stupid fast. And he dominated the competition. Every week. Which is what you look for in small school prospects. He's got experience returning kicks which helps give him a chance to actually make the team.

But his size limits him. He's 5'9" 175lbs. And probably plays smaller than that.

7. Terry Beckner Jr. || DT || Mizzou

Grade: D

He was once the number two recruit in the country. He's got great size and strength. And he knows how to use that to move guys and get after the QB.

But he's slow off the ball. In fact, he doesn't really move that well at all. That's probably gonna be a problem in the NFL. And that's before we consider he's torn ligaments in both knees.

Overall grade: B-

I don't hate any of the picks. I think we've finally drafted players that perfectly fit exactly what we wanna do. Which we haven't done in YEARS. And I think everyone (aside from Nelson and Beckner) have high ceilings.

This class is nothing anyone expected. But I think it makes sense if you think about it. Bowles got the flexibility in the secondary to do whatever he wants in the front seven. BA got his beloved speedster. And we added the best kicker in the draft to potentially fix the most consistently worst thing about our team since Matt Bryant left in 2009. 

My biggest question is the oline. But I think we either guessed wrong on value or were just too late. Or missed on guys who were overdrafted. *cough* Tytus Howard in the first *cough*

Or maybe we're all in on Cappa and are completely fine with Dot for one more year.

• Like 1

There wss a theme as far as speed and size.  Also, they went after guys with a lot of dog in them.  The DC is a former CB, reasonable to assume he has strong convictions on what he wants in his secondary.  I don t have a problem addressing the kicker because it is so important, but very fair to question whether Licht can be part of the process to solve the curse.

In the end, when a coaching staff changes, roster purge is inevitable.  This particular change was very unique.  It is almost unprecedented that a new HC is hired and has more authority then the GM already in place.  Granted, it did happen last season in Oakland.  The difference here is that I believe BA wants to work with Licht.  The Glazers would have a cut a check to remove Licht if BA wanted  that happen.  I truly believe. 

IMO, this is not another Licht failed draft, but the first draft of the BA era reshaping the roster he sees fit.  We 'll see if Licht eventually gets the McKenzie treatment or survives.

Edited by ravishingone

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - A-

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers need help on every level of their defense, so they must use most of their draft choices on fixing their woeful stop unit. The offense could use a new running back and some offensive line help, but this must be a defensive-centric draft for Tampa Bay. 

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: It was not a surprise in the slightest that the Buccaneers used their first five picks on defense. They began by obtaining the new centerpiece of their stop unit, linebacker Devin White. The next three selections all addressed the anemic secondary, with Jamel Dean being the best of the bunch. Of those three choices, none individually scored worse than a "B" grade. Tampa's fifth and final initial defensive choice also was graded highly, as the Anthony Nelson pick deserved an "A" because of its tremendous value. 

I didn't like what the Buccaneers did after that, as their final three picks were underwhelming. The worst of the bunch was the fifth-round choice on Matt Gay. You'd think the Buccaneers would've learned their lesson by now about using non-seventh-round picks on kickers. Maybe they'll understand that concept one day. 

That said, the end of the draft shouldn't spoil Tampa's earlier accomplishments. The Buccaneers put together an impressive draft class, one that should greatly elevate their defense. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#TzsRpVpwEIHH7qGu.99

Per Walterfootball...

• Like 2

White B-

Bunting C+

Dean B-

Edwards B

Nelson C

Gay D

That would average out to a high C low B. Im crossing my fingers White has a long prosperous career like Thomas Davis. LB has a very short career span like RBs but Arians is ready to win now. Keuchly is like 27 and he has a couple concussions away from having to step away. Who knows how White can stay healthy like Brooks was here.

Bunting has A plus tools just think he will take time. I see Rhodes type ceiling but he needs some grooming. 

Dean has durability concerns. Not sure how long those knees hold up but the talent is there.

Edwards is a player. Looks like a hybrid S/CB on tape I see him in the mold of Tyrann. Under sized but he finds away to be around the ball. Not sure what separates him for Jordan Whitehead though.

Nelson was nice selection. Ceiling is low but we need good ATH in our 34 DL. Gay just not a fan of the value. PK usually go UDFA