Could the Saints target Sheldon Richardson?

SSK

1 hour ago, Raves said:

If we had the money to sign him I'd definitely take Richardson for our 1st.

Do the Saints get a break from Fairley's contract in any way? If so, that's a good chunk of change....

Not sure I would want to trade a 1st though. 

4 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Do the Saints get a break from Fairley's contract in any way? If so, that's a good chunk of change....

Not sure I would want to trade a 1st though. 

Well I would probably do it as our 1st round pick with the condition that if we don't resign him then we'd get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back in return.

But could you imagine our starting DL with Richardson?  Jordan/Richardson/Rankins/Okafor...

12 hours ago, Raves said:

Well I would probably do it as our 1st round pick with the condition that if we don't resign him then we'd get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back in return.

But could you imagine our starting DL with Richardson?  Jordan/Richardson/Rankins/Okafor...

So if we give a 1st, and get a 2nd from the Jets, with the way things are looking, the Jets only move up a few spots, and us only back a few spots. I'm game!!!

33 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So if we give a 1st, and get a 2nd from the Jets, with the way things are looking, the Jets only move up a few spots, and us only back a few spots. I'm game!!!

I think the way it would work would be that we got the following year's 2nd round pick, though we might need to toss back a pick as well like a 3rd.

So for example they would get our 2018 1st round pick, likely a late 1st, teams can sign players past the NFL Draft so we won't know for sure if we will 100% have signed Richardson by the time of the draft.  So if by the start of the 2019 season we haven't signed Richardson, then for the 2019 Draft we'd get their 2nd round pick and they'd get our 3rd round pick, or a swap of 3rd round picks.  Something so we don't do a full on rental.

Other option is we give up our 1st and 2nd round picks, Jets give up their 2nd round pick.  They move up from a few picks from their 2nd to our 1st and get a 2nd out of it.

Id like Richardson on this Dline and Id normally be ok with losing a 1st for a player of his caliber BUT, next years draft is supposedly full of top talent QBs and replacing Brees has to start factoring in. 

If we made a trade for Richardson, it would be because we thought we could win the Super Bowl.  I think with that DL the limitations/youth of our LBers and DBs would be hidden enough that if our OL holds up we could definitely make a run at it.

Even then we don't have the money for it, not to mention he might end up just being a 1 year rental.  More than likely he'll go for around 2018 and 2019 2nd round picks if he gets traded.

Well looks like the market for Richardson would be around 4 yr 49.75 mil contract, which would increase his cap hit by 4 mil just for this year alone with a new deal in place, though with some creatives structuring might be able to get around that, even to provide a slight discount for this year.

I mean really unless we are bad, we aren't going to get a top QB prospect regardless, which puts us in a weird position where we might be able to build a really dominant defense but not have a QB to run an offense that has all the tools, depending on if Brees would be willing to sign a smaller contract than he could get on the open market.  If we could get Brees to resign for 15 mil instead of the nearly 30 mil he could probably get on a 1 year deal, we could get away with trading for Richardson.

9 hours ago, Raves said:

I think the way it would work would be that we got the following year's 2nd round pick, though we might need to toss back a pick as well like a 3rd.

It was kind of a joke. Our 1st round pick would be #30-32, and their 2nd round pick would be #33 (1st pick of the second round) because we're really good, and they really suck.

The Jets have cap space ($20mil), so they're not going to deal Richardson for anything less than Premium, and we don't have premium money ($8mil) and I think the front of house is actually being a bit more conservative. The big spending sprees have bit them in the arse lately, and I think they're learning.

You want a splash? Go talk to Mario Williams and Vince Wilfork. See if Sam Shields is interested in a spot at CB. 

Just a thought. I'm guessing Vince is knee deep in BBQ sauce money right now.

Mario Williams apparently has had some personal issues and probably isn't even in football shape.  Didn't Vince retire?  Pretty sure if he wanted to be playing he would be right now.  Richardson is young enough that we would look to build the defense around Jordan, Rankins, and him for the next 6 years playing more on a dominant defense than offense.

10 hours ago, Raves said:

Mario Williams apparently has had some personal issues and probably isn't even in football shape.  Didn't Vince retire?  Pretty sure if he wanted to be playing he would be right now.  Richardson is young enough that we would look to build the defense around Jordan, Rankins, and him for the next 6 years playing more on a dominant defense than offense.

Vince retired. Had his press conference already.

Is Sam Shields capable of playing? The last I read was that his career is pretty much over due to injuries.

Either way, like you and others have said, Richardson is a 10+ mill player and the Saints dont really have the bank roll for that. lol 

Archived