The Road to 53: Roster Tracker & Talk

Mind Character

The UDFA Willie Wright, RT/OC Tulsa signing is the best signing out of the bunch even when compared to the Trevon Tate, RT/OC Memphis signing. I had a 4th round grade on Wright. He an Tate will battle it out for the backup center spot given both backup guard spots will be occupied by Drew Forbes and Eric Kush respectively, but I think both the UDFAs have longterm starter quality impact w/ Wright being the better swing-OL prospect.

I hope we can keep both somehow (one on practice squad; one of the 53) and at this time I hope it's Willie Wright on the 53.

@NudeTayne

The only one's out of the UDFA signings are Willie Wright RT/OT, Tulsa and Trevon Tate RT/OC, Memphis have the best shot from a pure talent perspective. They both have the ability to be quality starters down the line imo. The only others that have a shot are Darrin Hall, RB Pitt and J.T. Hassell, SS/LB Florida Tech. The other players aren't good enough imo.

Out of the reported Try-out guys only Josh Allen, CB Miami Ohio; Willie Harvey, LB Iowa State; and Jamie Gillan, P Arkansas Pine-Bluff have a shot at the 53 based on talent. Therefore, I'm hoping they at least replace some guys on the practice squad for whom I think are non-enitities when it comes to NFL impact (guys like Wyatt Ray and Stephen Carlson that I watched but saw pure JAG or less).

However, Bo Brooks, S Missouri S&T; Aaron Wade, S Utah State; Jontrell Rocquemore, S Utah State; Ravian Pierce, TE Syracuse; and Marvin Saunders, TE Kansas all have the ability to be signed to the practice squad.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

Just now, Mind Character said:

@NudeTayne

The only one's out of the UDFA signings are Willie Wright RT/OT, Tulsa and Trevon Tate RT/OC, Memphis have the best shot from a pure talent perspective. 

Talent combined with areas of need/depth into this season through about 2021 as well. We can use another C for sure and we seem to also be stockpiling guys at the OT position(s).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Talent combined with areas of need/depth into this season through about 2021 as well. We can use another C for sure and we seem to also be stockpiling guys at the OT position(s).

It's a beautiful thing when the talent acquired matches a position of need. Probably was Dorsey and co.'s most intensive UDFA recruiting pitches and targeting. That both Wright and Tate are deemed centers but spent most of their time in college playing RT will add to the versatility of our line. Here's to hoping both make it in some capacity on our roster (Wright more so based on his talent).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Man oh man... I hope there's a spot on this roster for Willie Wright... he's going to be a very special interior lineman convert if he stays healthy and is given the opportunity ...

True story: thought Wright was an LB for some reason and misread post.  Watched about five minutes while thinking, "wtf is Mind seeing?  Tulsa is dominating Houston's D for the most part."  Yeah, Wright looks solid.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

True story: thought Wright was an LB for some reason and misread post.  Watched about five minutes while thinking, "wtf is Mind seeing?  Tulsa is dominating Houston's D for the most part."  Yeah, Wright looks solid.

Lol. When I first started watching him I made the mistake of watching the Center and I was like "he's trash"... little did I realize Wright was the Right Tackle.

He sits back in his stance with balance and let's his long arms reach and do the work for him w/ fluid feet, a strong anchor, and flexible/explosive hips. Those traits at the Center position allow a prospect to be great. I could see why they want to move him inside.

• Like 1

@BleedTheClock

Another question for our resident Miami expert.

Who is this Jhavonte Dean fellow all our beat writers are saying balled out in rookie minicamp causing Freddie to speak of him in the presser? At 6'2'' or thereabouts and running in the 4.3s at pro day how did this guy not see the field?

Was he one of those crazy physical trait athlete guys that didn't see the field because:

1.) Always injured

2.) Always in the coaches doghouse due to off-field stuff

3.) Stuck behind better players

4.) He's not good; he's just an athletic freak but it doesn't translate to play

5.) Something else.

What's going to be funny is when we are forced to cut a lot of players that looked good, and they end up making plays on other teams and people will start the trash talk. 

Struggling with who to keep is a good problem to have.  

• Like 1