Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2019 - Cardinals at 1

goldfishwars

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TBH I still believe that Ed Oliver is the best player in the entire draft.

I think Oliver is a little overrated. He’s a good run defender, not great, and a pretty raw pass rusher still. He still has a long way to go when it comes to developing a pass rush. His raw strength in the interior by itself is not gonna work in the NFL. 

I also don’t like Cody Ford at all. Soft as a teddy bear. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I think Oliver is a little overrated.

giphy.gif

He’s a good run defender, not great,

He's an explosive disruptive interior DL as a zero tech in college when in reality, he's an NFL 3 Tech. He's going to be a monster inside. 

and a pretty raw pass rusher still. He still has a long way to go when it comes to developing a pass rush. His raw strength in the interior by itself is not gonna work in the NFL. 

His hand usage, first step explosiveness, and motor are as high as I've ever seen from an interior DL in college. Throw in how sound he is in his gap integrity, and he's the real deal. To say that he's only got "raw strength" without acknowledging how fundamentally sound he is is totally asinine. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

giphy.gif

He's an explosive disruptive interior DL as a zero tech in college when in reality, he's an NFL 3 Tech. He's going to be a monster inside. 

His hand usage, first step explosiveness, and motor are as high as I've ever seen from an interior DL in college. Throw in how sound he is in his gap integrity, and he's the real deal. To say that he's only got "raw strength" without acknowledging how fundamentally sound he is is totally asinine. 

Trust me, I’ve watched all of his tape. He still has a ton of development to do in the pass rush game, but yes his first step is great. Even DJ and PFF both say he is an average pass rusher who needs to develop but has an elite first step. Even when playing 3T, he was only graded as a 82 by PFF and he left a lot to be desired. Also, he was consistently shut down by double teams where QW beat double teams all the time. An elite college DL prospect should not be consistently shut down by every double team. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Surprised the Bills are gonna be Top 3, I didn’t like their draft at all. 

I mean, you can say you don't like it, but after almost everyone put them near the top of their grades, and they landed two consensus top prospects, you can't be surprised.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I mean, you can say you don't like it, but after almost everyone put them near the top of their grades, and they landed two consensus top prospects, you can't be surprised.

There was bound to be a disagreement with someone elses rankings, not a big deal. I’ve been in agreement with his rankings for the most part so far and we also agree the Cards and Skins had the two best drafts. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

There was bound to be a disagreement with someone elses rankings, not a big deal. I’ve been in agreement with his rankings for the most part so far and we also agree the Cards and Skins had the two best drafts. 

I had the Skins up there, the Cards I had a little back.  Loved their whole draft minus Kyler and the flub of handling Rosen.  The Pats being this low and the Seahawks being this high are my biggest disagreements so far.

3. Buffalo Bills

Image result for bills ed oliver

Selections
9. Buffalo Bills - Ed Oliver  [ DT ] Houston
38. Buffalo Bills - Cody Ford  [ OT ] Oklahoma
74. Buffalo Bills - Devin Singletary  [ RB ] Florida Atlantic
96. Buffalo Bills - Dawson Knox  [ TE ] Ole Miss
147. Buffalo Bills - Vosean Joseph  [ LB ] Florida
181. Buffalo Bills - Jaquan Johnson  [ S ] Miami
225. Buffalo Bills - Darryl Johnson Jr.  [ DE ] North Carolina A&T
228. Buffalo Bills - Tommy Sweeney  [ TE ] Boston College

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick 
Ed Oliver – It was probably the biggest no-brainer selection of the entire draft when Oliver landed at Buffalo’s feet at 9. He endured a bizarre draft process, starting the year out as a potential 1st overall selection. Then suddenly the size concerns kicked in and he was being mocked in the 20s before everyone seem to come to their senses a little when he blew off the doors at his pro-day as expected. I think he’s better than 9th overall in this class and frankly, he’s got All-Pro potential and it’s quite funny to see the Lions take another tight end just before him as they did with Eric Ebron in the Aaron Donald draft. Like Donald, he’s got unreal explosion off the snap – you just rarely see anything like that inside. Unlike Donald, he does get uprooted in the run game on occasion so that’s something to watch out for. However if Buffalo can help to keep him clean, he can be an absolute wrecking ball in the opposition’s backfield. 

Overview
I like what Brandon Beane is doing in Buffalo, slowly accumulating talent for the Bills after years of barren rosters. He tends to get a little antsy when his guys are available, last year with Tremaine Edmonds and this year with the two trades up, for Cody Ford and Dawson Knox. I like those trades more this year though (although I liked Edmonds as a player) and you can see why they made the move. The two spots for Cody Ford indicated they were worried about the Buccaneers selecting Ford and they leapfrogged over tight end hungry Patriots to land Dawson Knox. Landing Ed Oliver at 9 is the key though, that's a potential franchise changing pick. He could be that good and they haven't had a defensive cornerstone of that talent on in Buffalo since they were going to Super Bowls. 

I like the Cody Ford selection at 38, it was weird to see him and Dalton Risner drift into the second round when other teams were out there reaching for guys. Ford is a huge guy at almost 330 pounds and moves incredibly well and has impressive functional strength. His desire to maul guys on every play leads to some balance concerns, but he has all the tools needed to succeed at the next level and the Bills could slot him in at guard or right tackle next year and be very happy. I came round on Devin Singletary about a week before the draft. He’s a weird evaluation, because his (bad) athletic profile makes no sense for what he’s obviously good at on film. In that, he’s got this weird sixth sense for what defenders are going to do. He’s already cutting in the other direction before they are committing to an angle and he’s making guys miss in literally no space at all. He was also wildly productive when his offensive line was overmatched and wasn’t blocking anyone, that says a lot about him. The fact he can contribute as a receiver as well, I think Beane has to view him as a potential starter to take him where they did. 

Dawson Knox was one of my draft crushes, my one ‘if there is a George Kittle in this class it’s this guy’ kinda players. And really he has to be George Kittle, because the production isn’t there. But when you watch him, the guy is consistently open and never getting the football due to the insanely weird and basic offense he played on. I think he’s got a lot of untapped potential to nail the starting tight end gig at Buffalo. He’s incredibly smart, highly athletic, separates quickly in the passing game and has great hands when the ball does finally reach him. I wasn’t overly excited about Vosean Joseph when he was being touted as an early day two type selection, but I think he’s very good value in the 5th here. He’s smaller than ideal, but moves laterally extremely well which is important for this defensive scheme. Not the most instinctive player, will over-pursue and hit the wrong channel – but could be good if you let him run and chase. 

Jaquan Johnson in the 6th is someone I really liked to see get drafted because he’s got such good film even if he tested out poorly. He’s smaller than ideal, but packs a punch well above his weight on and off the field, where he was a big-time leader at Miami. It would not be a surprise to see him do well at Buffalo, perhaps as a special teams ace. Darryl Johnson Jr. isn’t someone I know a lot about, but he’s a toolsy longer-limbed pass rusher. Tommy Sweeney I do know, because he’s exactly the tight end I expected the Patriots to draft late. He’s not a great athlete, but he has soft hands and can really get after it as a blocker in the run game. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him lining up as a second tight end next season. 

• Like 5

2. Washington Redskins

Related image

Selections
15. Dwayne Haskins  [ QB ] Ohio State
26. Montez Sweat  [ DE ] Mississippi State
76. Terry McLaurin  [ WR ] Ohio State
112. Bryce Love  [ RB ] Stanford
131. Wes Martin  [ G ] Indiana
153. Ross Pierschbacher  [ G ] Alabama
173. Cole Holcomb  [ LB ] North Carolina
206. Kelvin Harmon  [ WR ] NC State
227. Jimmy Moreland  [ CB ] James Madison
253. Jordan Brailford  [ DE ] Oklahoma State

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick 
Dwayne Haskins – To have the quarterback you wanted land in your laps at 15 never happens, just never happens. Teams panic and trade up for their quarterbacks all the time. Hell, the Bears panicked and traded up one spot for Mitch Trubisky with Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson in the same draft. That was weird and funny at the time, but it’s way funnier now. My guess is the Redskins probably only liked Haskins if he was there when they picked at 15 and that’s kind of fine, but also dumb luck if true. He’s a one year starter who played on a stacked team that walked into every game as a heavy favorite. But still, you’ve got to be impressed with the numbers he put up - that really isn’t automatic. I don't know how it would ever be. 

He should be a really nice fit for Jay Gruden’s offense, one that is going to ask him to work the intermediate areas because his accuracy is really good there and he seems to navigate from the pocket well. He’s obviously got room to grow as an accurate deep-ball thrower and his lack of mobility requires limits him to sink or swim within the pocket. If he and Gruden hit it off, then is unbelievable fortune for Washington. And man am I looking forward to the Redskins and Giants games next year and you can't say that very often. Especially if Haskins goes off, imagine the headlines in New York.  

Overview
There were two standout classes, way above the rest for me. One of them was Washington’s class, but how does that make any sense? Like, literally any sense? The Washington Redskins, with their starting quarterback who is not going to play football for the foreseeable future and their plethora of other needs they needed to resolve, and the fact they were picking at 15 which meant they would have to sell all of their draft picks to move up for Dwayne Haskins if they wanted him. Or they would have to just settle for whichever quarterback drifted their way and settle for purgatory forever. It was a bad situation and it was getting worse, their regularly insane owner was taking over the draft, it was reported hours before the actual draft. That could only mean one thing – something reckless and dumb was going to happen. Only something reckless and dumb did not happen, and what did happen was almost miraculous and we may never know for sure who was responsible for it. 

We were told, emphatically, that Montez Sweat’s heart condition was not a big deal and it might even be made up. Then he slips all the way to 26 and it was clear that it had spooked teams enough to think he wasn’t the nailed-on top 10 selection his absolutely insane combine performance made him seem like he had to be. His tape is interesting, he wins more with leverage and power off the edge than the sort of explosive athleticism his work out suggested. Obviously the testing does show there is a lot of untapped physical potential there and the Redskins were more than happy to spend picks on giving that a try. That’s a nice trio of outside rushers there now with Kerrigan steady as ever, and Ryan Anderson around to pick up more slack with Preston Smith’s departure. 

I love the Terry McLaurin selection in the third, who was getting some first round attention at points during the draft. That might have been a little rich, but he makes a lot of sense here and not just because of his links with Haskins. He’s an exemplary route-runner and should finally give this passing offense some much needed dynamism with his ability to get deep. He can give the return game a boost too. Bryce Love in the 4th could prove excellent value down the line, when he’s recovered from his injury. Adrian Peterson is probably in his last NFL season and Derrius Guice (who had some things to say about this selection) has yet to prove what he can do, so there’s a role for him at some point. As there should be, he’s a dynamic home-run hitter that can take it the distance on any play. Let’s hope he hasn’t lost any of that. 

I like the back-to-back selections on the interior line which was looking a little thin. Lance Zerlein was talking up Wes Martin prior to the draft as someone who might be drafted higher than media expectations. He’s a bit of an old fashioned road-grader, a blocker who can clear lanes in tight spaces. Ross Pierschbacher in the 5th is the epitome of a high-floor, low-ceiling prospect. You've just got to hope that ceiling wasn't playing at Alabama. He is a real student of the game and his ability to play guard or center gives the team some flexibility on the interior. Cole Holcomb is a fast linebacker with some range, special teams probably looks like his way into the 53 – but the Redskins are still looking to find the right starting combination there. 

There was always going to be some weird stuff at the receiver position given how deep it was, but Kelvin Harmon in the 6th round was another fall that was further than expected. Yes, he lacks an explosive gear and no, the first round hype probably wasn’t justified. But he is smart, has good size and has a natural feel for the position - unlike quite a few players taken ahead of him. That adds up to someone Jay Gruden would probably like a lot. There’s two further good picks to round off the haul, on Jimmy Moreland who looks like he needs a damn good meal before becoming the very serviceable slot corner he’s more than capable of becoming. Then they took Jordan Brailford at 253, who looked pretty good rushing the passer at Oklahoma State before they decided to not let him do that anymore. There’s some stuff to like about him too.  

• Like 2

Fully agree with the Redskins at 2 and Cardinals at 1. 

I’ll comment on the Cardinals when you post it but as for the Redskins,

- I feel they can be legit SB Contenders if they went out and got a QB. They did with Haskins. And they didn’t sacrifice picks moving up. I don’t think Haskins is anything too special but he’s better than Alex Smith at this point in his career and a lotttt better than Case Keenum. I expect Haskins to start Week 1 or 2. 3 at the latest. I think he’ll be more of a Carr, Dalton, Cousins kind of upper echelon game manager but that’s all the Skins need for SB Contention. 

- Montez Sweat is good value at 26 and I always said his best fit is a 3-4 EDGE. Kerrigan/Sweat duo is straight up nasty. 

- Bryce Love is my 2nd favorite RB in the entire draft if he returns to pre injury form. He was RB2 to Barkley in 2017 and a Late 1st Round Pick if he came out that year. Love is amazing. Reminds me of Barry Sanders, Darren McFadden hybrid. Little dash of CJ2K as well. 

- McLaurin was one of my sleeper picks for WR. He could be one of the best of this class if he develops well. Plus a familiar target for Haskins. 

- Harmon was one of my favorite WRs as well and shocked he fell to the 6th. He’s a straight up dog and catches everything. I think he mostly resembles Davante Adams. Probably won’t be as good as Adams but he’s gonna be a good player. 

- Moreland is my 2nd favorite nickel corner in this draft class behind Julian Love. 

Great draft for the Redskins. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown – I think I watched his tape before the draft season and put it towards the back of my mind with his injury impacting his ability to test out. Man, you go back to what he put out last year and it’s crazy how good it is. He creates instant separation on his vertical routes like he’s a different species, that’s the first thing you notice about him. The other is his ability to do everything at an insane speed, cuts, carries and changes in direction – there’s nothing wasted. The foot injury is mild concern and I hope it doesn’t hold him out for too long as to cut into his crucial early development. The weight, or lack of, is also something to keep an eye on but it's difficult to point to moments on tape where that seems to really hold him back.

Completely agree on this. Hollywood was the single prospect I was hoping for the Ravens to get and it was because his tape is ridiculously good. Honestly, I only watched a few draft prospects closely before the draft, but did closely look at the top receivers for obvious reasons. After doing so, I got into a few debates about how in the world Hollywood was being projected/graded in the same group as DK Metcalf or any other WR prospect. It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen a receiver prospect that looked that dominant against top college competition. The size may be a concern along with the foot injury, especially given a foot injury really set our top pick back last year, but I also see those as the only reasons Brown didn't go much higher in the draft. If that guy had a chance to workout...

Jaylon Ferguson is similar in a way because if you just watched what he did on tape, you'd think he would be gone much much higher. He also didn't get to work out at the combine, because of an old off the field issue. He did have a pro day workout, but it wasn't great. He looked much more explosive on the field than he timed for in his workouts.

The next two picks Boykin and Hill tested out really great so they don't really fit the pattern of buying low on great tape and ignoring the offseason so much, but I think the top two picks will define the draft and I'm really excited about both.

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Overview
There were two standout classes, way above the rest for me. One of them was Washington’s class, but how does that make any sense? Like, literally any sense? The Washington Redskins

tumblr_oyy1jwpCip1s0hxxao3_250.gif

You've had us ranked 9th, 6th and 9th in 2016, 2017 and 2018, respectively. Now 2nd.  I guess you kinda like us ;).

In all seriousness, while Bruce Allen is making his rounds to the national media outlets the last few weeks trying to soak up the credit, the biggest reason for our success in the draft the past few years has been due to our 34-year-old Director of College Scouting, Kyle Smith, son of former Chargers GM, A.J. Smith.  He's running the show in all things draft-related.  The guy is a stud, and has put up a string of very solid drafts since he took over.  We need to promote him to GM soon, and kick Bruce to the curb.  I'd be disgusted if we let another McVay situation happen and watched him get promoted to GM elsewhere.  Probably would completely give up on the team tbh.

• Like 3

Of the Final four, the remaining team would have been my #4. No problem with the first pick, but they are supposed to draft the best player, so no bonus points either. The rest of the draft is solid but no OMG value like the Bills and Redskins have.

Also, if Miami gets credit for Rosen (they shouldn;t) Arizona should be slapped for the value they got back. Be consistent and treat draft day palyer trades like pre-draft day trades.

J