Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2019 - Cardinals at 1

goldfishwars

Looking at Atlanta's draft...I think I would have put them in my top 5-10. I really like their draft class. McGary and Lindstrom are both sure-fire studs. Ollison is my favorite RB in this draft class and my ultimate steal. John Cominsky is going to be a very good player as a base LDE for them.

First of all, I’d like to say that I appreciate the time and effort that goes into these every year. I enjoy reading them, even though grading a draft after two days is an exercise in futility.

Secondly, I’d like to defend the Giants draft and Gettleman a bit. It’s amazing how much crap Gettleman is getting considering his resume. He’s been a part of 6 teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Last year he nailed the draft. Saquon Barkley is the best RB in the NFL, Hernandez and Hill both started as rookies and In a redraft I saw recently both were 1st round picks. Lorenzo Carter is slated to start at edge. A+ draft in his first draft. And his best move was the one he was criticized for the most - passing on Darnold, Allen and Rosen and taking Barkley. He may be brash and say things that make him an easy target, but his resume holds up and he earned the benefit of the doubt. He knows how to build a team.

In addition to having Saquon and our new franchise QB, The Giants have accumulated a lot of young defensive talent moving forward : BJ Hill, Dexter Lawrence, Dalvin Tomlinson, Lorenzo Carter, Oshane Ximines, Deandre Baker, Sam Beal, Jabrill Peppers. There’s a lot to look forward to in Giants land

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 4

28. Detroit Lions

Image result for hockenson lions

Selections
8. Detroit Lions - T.J. Hockenson [ TE ] Iowa
43. Detroit Lions - Jahlani Tavai [ LB ] Hawaii
117. Detroit Lions - Austin Bryant [ EDGE ] Clemson
146. Detroit Lions - Amani Oruwariye [ CB ] Penn State
184. Detroit Lions - Travis Fulgham [ TE ] Old Dominion
186. Detroit Lions - Ty Johnson [ RB ] Maryland
224. Detroit Lions - Isaac Nautu [ TE ] Georgia
229. Detroit Lions - PJ Johnson [ DT ] Arizona

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick
Amani Oruwariye – Was passed over when the run on corners started in round 2 and I thought he would garner day two attention. He’s big and versatile, so should fit what Matt Patricia likes his defensive backs to do, play a combination of man and zone. The Lions needed help at cornerback and might have sneaked a potential starter in the 4th round if there aren’t any glaring reasons why he fell a little way. 

Overview

Did anyone tell you the Lions are trying to copy the Patriots? I’ve not heard it for almost ten seconds in the off-season. So, like the Patriots – we’ve seen the Lions come out of the draft heading in a direction which is a little different to the one it seemed like they were heading for. It’s a high(ish)-floor, kinda low ceiling draft from top to bottom – with little in terms of generating excitement and little in the way which points to a coherent plan. It’s the draft of a team that wants to make themselves difficult to beat, rather than one which has the confidence to blow teams out. That’s not a criticism, just a reflection of where they are. Like their head coach, who was shown in the war room with a fresh haircut and ironed shirt. People will put up with your eccentric appearance if you’re winning and Detroit did not win last year. 

So let’s address the Hockenson pick at 8. I love Hock – I don’t necessarily love drafting tight ends in the top ten. I mean kudos to the Lions, of all franchises, for going there with the ghost of Eric Ebron still lingering and he genuinely seems like the kind of high floor talent that’s unlikely to flame out. He should boost the run game and give them passing options over the middle. I’m just not blown away from a positional value perspective given the longer than normal development time for tight ends and there’s little to point to in terms of recent highly drafted success stories there. 

The Jahlani Tavai and Austin Bryant selections didn’t really move the needle in a big way. There were plenty of rumors Tavai was going to be drafted high prior to the draft, but there was very little buzz about him in media and draftnik circles to that point. He was used in a number of roles at Hawaii, in coverage, rushing off the edge and as a blitzer – so I can see why Patricia would like him from a size and versatility viewpoint. Bryant was distant fourth talent on that Clemson front four, has some natural ability as a pass-rusher – but also seemed a little leggy and awkward to me. The fact he wasn’t great against the run makes this a surprise selection – there is stuff to like from a length and flexibility viewpoint, but he’s going to have the improve in that facet to get on the field. 

Will Harris at safety, picked before Bryant, is kind of smart and steady at the back end. I didn’t get to see Fulgham, who is enormous and has a receiver or move tight end physical profile. He sounds a little like Kenny Golladay, long and kind of linear with some deceptive deep speed. The tiny school might put him back developmentally for the short term. Ty Johnson is really fast, has some home run ability at running back - but doesn’t really have a natural feel for the position. Isaac Nauta was well liked early on in the process, but measured out much smaller and tested out far worse which was a poor combination. He doesn’t look small or unathletic on film, which is something to note. PJ Johnson is just a lane clogging load up the middle, Patricia loves his unmoveable monsters inside.

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Image result for devin white buccaneers

Selections

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Devin White  [ LB ] LSU

39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Sean Bunting  [ CB ] Central Michigan

94. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Jamel Dean  [ CB ] Auburn

99. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Mike Edwards  [ S ] Kentucky

107. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Anthony Nelson  [ DE ] Iowa

145. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Matt Gay  [ K ] Utah

208. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Scott Miller  [ WR ] Bowling Green

215. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Terry Beckner  [ DT ] Missouri

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick

Devin White - I’m not all the way in on taking an off-ball linebacker at 5, there’s an argument to be had about the positional value you get and whether it was worth the high investment with pressing needs elsewhere. There’s little doubt that Devin White is one of the premier talents in this draft, someone who is a rare athlete with a fully-rounded modern-day skillset. With the Kwon Alexander departure in FA, this became a heavily tipped move and so it came to pass. There’s no doubt the Buccs upgraded, rather than simply replaced Alexander. Off the field, White is an absolute joy if you have seen or heard him in interviews. I hope the league doesn’t take those eccentric edges off, because it’s a cherished thing to have genuine personalities playing the NFL.

Overview

It’s difficult to know how much of this draft is merely supplementing what the Buccs already have and how much of it is Licht hedging against previous mistakes because these positions look kind of familiar. One of the biggest surprises is the lack of offensive line additions, because that’s one of the weaker looking lines in the NFL and the addition of an Arians offense is going to put further stress on it. The team did address pass-rusher, but one 4th round investment is probably less than what had been anticipated.

Sean Bunting was the dark horse cornerback in this year’s class, a real size and athletic specimen. It was a mild surprise to see him drafted ahead of more heralded prospects, especially Greedy Williams who was there for the Buccs if they wanted him at 39. The Buccs followed up that trick by taking Combine star Jamel Dean at 94. I’m surprised Licht went back to the Auburn well, because whatever they teach their defensive backs – you can’t replicate it in the NFL and Dean needs that grabiness taking out of his game. Their third defensive back in a row, Mike Edwards, was closely linked with the Patriots who might have been considering him at 101. He’s got some versatility to like at the back end and somehow managed to get away without testing athletically in the off-season despite his speed being a mild concern.

Of the remaining selections, Nelson is a huge presence at defensive end and had a very productive year at Iowa. He’s got an intriguing size and athletic profile off the edge, but needs to get stronger at the POA. Kind of looks and plays a little like Carl Nassib, who played above expectations after his trade last year. Matt Gay is the best kicker in the draft, so if that’s worth a 5th round pick and you want to do down that route again, then why not? Scott Miller, who I have never heard of, going in the 6th is an odd one considering the depth of the class which left several draftable names slipping into the UDFA pool. Perhaps he’s really good. Beckner feels like a last shot on a former 5 star recruit who never lived up to his billing at Missouri.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 11:37 AM, goldfishwars said:

Ryan Pace rolled the dice several times in 2018 to save his career and it paid off hugely for him and Chicago, vaulting them from nowhere to contenders.

Such as weird GM to rank.  On the one hand hiring Matt Nagy, and trading for Khalil Mack were home runs.  On the other he's had some head scratching first round picks, and missed big time in drafting Turbisky over Watson/Mahomes...

12 hours ago, Gmen said:

First of all, I’d like to say that I appreciate the time and effort that goes into these every year. I enjoy reading them, even though grading a draft after two days is an exercise in futility.

Secondly, I’d like to defend the Giants draft and Gettleman a bit. It’s amazing how much crap Gettleman is getting considering his resume. He’s been a part of 6 teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Last year he nailed the draft. Saquon Barkley is the best RB in the NFL, Hernandez and Hill both started as rookies and In a redraft I saw recently both were 1st round picks. Lorenzo Carter is slated to start at edge. A+ draft in his first draft. And his best move was the one he was criticized for the most - passing on Darnold, Allen and Rosen and taking Barkley. He may be brash and say things that make him an easy target, but his resume holds up and he earned the benefit of the doubt. He knows how to build a team.

In addition to having Saquon and our new franchise QB, The Giants have accumulated a lot of young defensive talent moving forward : BJ Hill, Dexter Lawrence, Dalvin Tomlinson, Lorenzo Carter, Oshane Ximines, Deandre Baker, Sam Beal, Jabrill Peppers. There’s a lot to look forward to in Giants land

You don’t say. 

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Image result for devin white buccaneers

Selections

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Devin White  [ LB ] LSU

39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Sean Bunting  [ CB ] Central Michigan

94. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Jamel Dean  [ CB ] Auburn

99. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Mike Edwards  [ S ] Kentucky

107. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Anthony Nelson  [ DE ] Iowa

145. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Matt Gay  [ K ] Utah

208. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Scott Miller  [ WR ] Bowling Green

215. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  -  Terry Beckner  [ DT ] Missouri

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick

Devin White - I’m not all the way in on taking an off-ball linebacker at 5, there’s an argument to be had about the positional value you get and whether it was worth the high investment with pressing needs elsewhere. There’s little doubt that Devin White is one of the premier talents in this draft, someone who is a rare athlete with a fully-rounded modern-day skillset. With the Kwon Alexander departure in FA, this became a heavily tipped move and so it came to pass. There’s no doubt the Buccs upgraded, rather than simply replaced Alexander. Off the field, White is an absolute joy if you have seen or heard him in interviews. I hope the league doesn’t take those eccentric edges off, because it’s a cherished thing to have genuine personalities playing the NFL.

Overview

It’s difficult to know how much of this draft is merely supplementing what the Buccs already have and how much of it is Licht hedging against previous mistakes because these positions look kind of familiar. One of the biggest surprises is the lack of offensive line additions, because that’s one of the weaker looking lines in the NFL and the addition of an Arians offense is going to put further stress on it. The team did address pass-rusher, but one 4th round investment is probably less than what had been anticipated.

Sean Bunting was the dark horse cornerback in this year’s class, a real size and athletic specimen. It was a mild surprise to see him drafted ahead of more heralded prospects, especially Greedy Williams who was there for the Buccs if they wanted him at 39. The Buccs followed up that trick by taking Combine star Jamel Dean at 94. I’m surprised Licht went back to the Auburn well, because whatever they teach their defensive backs – you can’t replicate it in the NFL and Dean needs that grabiness taking out of his game. Their third defensive back in a row, Mike Edwards, was closely linked with the Patriots who might have been considering him at 101. He’s got some versatility to like at the back end and somehow managed to get away without testing athletically in the off-season despite his speed being a mild concern.

Of the remaining selections, Nelson is a huge presence at defensive end and had a very productive year at Iowa. He’s got an intriguing size and athletic profile off the edge, but needs to get stronger at the POA. Kind of looks and plays a little like Carl Nassib, who played above expectations after his trade last year. Matt Gay is the best kicker in the draft, so if that’s worth a 5th round pick and you want to do down that route again, then why not? Scott Miller, who I have never heard of, going in the 6th is an odd one considering the depth of the class which left several draftable names slipping into the UDFA pool. Perhaps he’s really good. Beckner feels like a last shot on a former 5 star recruit who never lived up to his billing at Missouri.

100% 

Bucs are really banking on Shaq Barrett to be REALLY good to pass on Allen. OL will be a problem again. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Looking at Atlanta's draft...I think I would have put them in my top 5-10. I really like their draft class. McGary and Lindstrom are both sure-fire studs. Ollison is my favorite RB in this draft class and my ultimate steal. John Cominsky is going to be a very good player as a base LDE for them.

Nice to hear coming from you Bleed i value yours and GFW's opinions quite a bit on this.  Little sad to see ole fishy boy isn't a big fan of it but i can understand why he wouldn't.  I think this draft will be similar to the Neal and Jones draft where people sorta jumped all on us in the media because we were said to have reached a full round each for both players and then they turned out being 2 of the best players in that entire draft and pro bowl studs.   I had Lindstrom as one of my favorite O-lineman in the entire draft and for sure my #1 OG in the draft.  I wasn't as high on Kaleb as a few of the OT's like Dillard, Ford, Taylor, and Williams.  But i had him pretty close to them and actually think he pairs with Lindstrom when it comes to playing style and scheme fit working off each other better than all of them but Dillard and Williams.   With the run on OT's that was going on and me already saying RT was one of our top 3 needs im more than ok with going to getting him.    This might be the 1st time outside of 2016 that i can say ryan has a legit potential O-line in front of him.  He really has never had one for any long period of time since he has been in the league and any time he has he put up mvp type numbers.  I also am glad to see how high you are on Ollison he was my #3 RB in this class and i have no clue why he dropped as far as he did.  The guy has great vision and is almost impossible to bring down on 1st contact and don't even try to arm tackle him.  But where he impressed me the most was his pass blocking which i thought was phenomenal.  He also has deceptive speed for his size and solid hands when recieving.  I thought compared to most guys coming out he was one of the most complete all around 4 down guys i viewed.   Cominsky i have heard we are going to try and bulk him up a little more to be around 295 to 300 and play a michael bennett type of role.  Which i could see him succeeding in as i don't see him as a legit pass rusher off the edge every down.  But more of a slide inside on pass downs at DT and base LDE on run downs type of guy who can still use smoe athleticism like Bennett did to atleast get after the QB at times.