Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2019 - Cardinals at 1

goldfishwars

29 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Embarrassed Exit Strategy GIF

If you got these 100% right every year, you'd be getting millions on either ESPN or for an NFL team. But also, besides the actual placement of the Giants draft, you weren't really egregiously wrong about anything you actually said about the draft or the picks. Maybe underrated Dexter's ceiling a bit, but that's it. It's just more players panned out then you'd normally expect.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If you got these 100% right every year, you'd be getting millions on either ESPN or for an NFL team. But also, besides the actual placement of the Giants draft, you weren't really egregiously wrong about anything you actually said about the draft or the picks. Maybe underrated Dexter's ceiling a bit, but that's it. It's just more players panned out then you'd normally expect.

Yeah, the write-up gets a few things right to be fair. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:17 AM, goldfishwars said:

16. New England Patriots

Image result for n'keal harry patriots

Selections

32. New England Patriots - N'Keal Harry  [ WR ] Arizona State

45. New England Patriots - Joejuan Williams  [ CB ] Vanderbilt

77. New England Patriots - Chase Winovich  [ DE ] Michigan

87. New England Patriots - Damien Harris  [ RB ] Alabama

101. New England Patriots - Yodny Cajuste  [ OT ] West Virginia

118. New England Patriots - Hjalte Froholdt  [ G ] Arkansas

133. New England Patriots - Jarrett Stidham  [ QB ] Auburn

159. New England Patriots - Byron Cowart  [ DT ] Maryland

163. New England Patriots - Jake Bailey  [ P ] Stanford

252. New England Patriots - Ken Webster  [ CB ] Ole Miss

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick

Chase Winovich – One of the best value picks in the whole draft down at 77 and another dude who seemed destined to play for a team Winovich was most matched to. He seemed to be an ascending quantity as the draft approached, so it was a surprise to see him still available in the 3rd round. He’s obviously not the most explosive or edge-bending pass-rusher in the draft, but he is craftsman at the position and can beat guys with hustle and a developed arsenal of hand moves. He probably isn’t a going to win any sack total awards, but he’s someone who’ll probably stick around for a good while.

Overview

Firstly, I know a lot of you really like the Patriots draft. This is a weird spot to be in as a fan of the Patriots, but whilst I’m really excited about aspects of our draft – I still have a few too many questions to put them any higher. Six picks in the first three rounds of the draft should have been a home-run. I do think we got good value at most of our spots and it’s really nice to see players with name recognition taken up high who aren’t former Lacrosse-playing special teamers from Rutgers. But man, 12 picks and we didn’t take a single Tight End when there is no obvious starting tight end on the roster? I thought we would draft two and now here we are without a single pick. And no Safety pick with a deep class and two ageing guys back there? Another running back in the 3rd? No Defensive Tackle pick until pick 159? Trading up to get a right-footed punter in the 5th? Life is extremely hard as a Patriots fan and I know you guys have my full sympathy on this. 

K’Neal Harry is another prospect I keep going back and forth on. He’s a bully of a receiver who can win at the catch point and has deceptive athleticism and great hands. But the lack of separation is a concern, one that we’ll probably mitigate by moving him around and scheming things up. There are shades (only shades) of the Aaron Dobson selection a few years ago, where he could just never get on the same page as Brady. To be fair, Harry is a more polished prospect coming out and I’ve probably been burned by Patriots receiver picks too often to be overly optimistic about this one. It’s not a skill-set I’m used to seeing doing well in our offense, but I do like the player.

I think the Joejuan Williams selection, who apparently they liked enough to take in the 1st, who the Pats traded up for in the second round is probably a match-up selection. He’s enormous for a cornerback, but Stephon Gilmore he is not. I think he’s a weapon to match up on big receivers and tight ends and you’ll see his snap count jump up and down from week to week, depending on who they face. He’s a great dude though and you can’t help rooting for him to do well. Damien Harris in the 3rd is only okay. I get that he’s probably insurance for Sony Michel who has had some durability concerns. He’s a little low on juice, but he’s a patient, intelligent runner who is built for a big workload whereas other backs on the team are not.

The Pats went back to back offensive line with the next two picks, in Yodny Cajuste and Danish Hjalte Froholdt. Cajuste got some 1st round attention early on in the process after an excellent season for West Virginia. He’s an enormous dude at 6’6 and 320 pounds, not the easiest mover – but powerful as hell and Scar can get to work on the refinements he needs. The two season ending knee surgeries in his past are a bit of a concern, but tackle was a need spot with Isaiah Wynn returning from injury with zero NFL snaps under his belt and questions about Marcus Cannon’s ongoing and long-term status. Froholdt is a decent athlete, who had a memorable matchup with Quinnen Williams. He’s a little green around the gills, but now gets to work with the best O-line coach in the league and is probably contract insurance for Joe Thuney.

Then we move onto four pretty unexciting picks. Jarrett Stidham looks every bit the part ofan NFL quarterback, but just couldn’t take that next step at a big program. He could absolutely develop into a decent back-up in this league, but I would bet good money that he both beats out Danny Etling and is not the long-term answer to Brady. Former five-star recruit Byron Cowart flamed out at Auburn, before slightly resurrecting himself at Missouri. He’s got some inside/outside ability on the defensive line, but needs to shed that underachiever tag to get a shot in New England. Jake Bailey in the 5th will be competition for Ryan Allen at punter, who is back on a one year deal and been more than serviceable here. Bailey had the best hang-time of any punter in college, so we’ll see how that competition plays out. Ken Webster had great workout numbers, but he’s up against it to make the team at a corner position which is really stacked right now. He might have to wait it out on a practice squad.  

Oof. I remember being excited about this class. Harris and Bailey were good for us, Cowart had a role for a while. Otherwise it's brutal.