128. Dallas Cowboys Tony Pollard  [ RB ] Memphis

158. Dallas Cowboys Michael Jackson  [ CB ] Miami

165. Dallas Cowboys Joe Jackson  [ DE ] Miami

213. Dallas Cowboys Donovan Wilson  [ S ] Texas A&M

218. Dallas Cowboys Mike Weber  [ RB ] Ohio State

241. Dallas Cowboys Jalen Jelks  [ DE ] Oregon

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick

Connor McGovern – With the caveat that I’m probably a lot higher on McGovern than most. With uncertainty at Travis Frederick’s return from his condition and Connor Williams potentially replacing La’el Collins at right tackle this year or next, his versatility at guard and center gives them some flexibility for the future. McGovern gives the Cowboys the natural power and athleticism to flourish as a run blocker which is still a staple of this offense.

Overview

The Cowboys have been a good team with a kinda thin roster for a while now and yet keep heading into drafts needing to find players who can contribute right away. That was always going to be a challenge with no first round pick this year. Still, whoever actually is running their drafts these days did well converting 6 picks into 8 selections and they managed to get pretty good value at key spots with most of their picks.

Trysten Hill was rumored to be their first pick target, and apparently the Cowboys had done a lot of work on him, and that proved to the case. He’s not particularly refined and has some off-field questions, but has a rare size and movement for a man of his size. It was like watching a linebacker when he was going through his drills at the combine. I like the Tony Pollard pick at 128, but it might be a little high for me. He’s got the skillset to become a nice satellite back and dynamic return man to compliment the skillset on offense.

The Jacksons at 158 and 165 give the team depth at slot corner and along the edge. Both are talented enough to become decent role players. Of the three players selected at the end of the draft, Mike Weber and Jalen Jelks were well known early on in the process as potential risers. Weber felt like an early day two pick to me, has some wiggle and physicality to his game. Jelks has the length and movement to be a contender at the edge spot, but really needs to develop as a run defender. If the Cowboys were looking for potential starters at safety, I’m not sure they’ve found one in Donovan Wilson who’ll need some refinement.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 1

25. Cincinnati Bengals

Image result for jonah williams bengals

Selections
11. Cincinnati Bengals - Jonah Williams  [ OT ] Alabama
52. Cincinnati Bengals - Drew Sample  [ TE ] Washington
72. Cincinnati Bengals - Germaine Pratt  [ LB ] NC State
104. Cincinnati Bengals - Ryan Finley  [ QB ] NC State
125. Cincinnati Bengals - Renell Wren  [ DT ] Arizona State
136. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Jordan  [ G ] Ohio State
182. Cincinnati Bengals - Trayveon Williams  [ RB ] Texas A&M
210. Cincinnati Bengals - Deshaun Davis  [ LB ] Auburn
211. Cincinnati Bengals - Rodney Anderson  [ RB ] Oklahoma
223. Cincinnati Bengals - Jordan Brown  [ CB ] South Dakota State

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick
Obviously their best move was taking Stanley Morgan as a UDFA, but as we’re not including those…
Jonah Williams – It seemed pretty obvious the Bengals had to do a little re-thinking when the Steelers came up to 10 to grab Devin Bush, but Williams was a very good plan B. The Bengals line is still working things out after the succession plan for a once top-tier offensive line turned into a minor disaster for the team. Williams is a technician who could solidify a spot either at guard or tackle, there are shades of Andrew Whitworth about his game and if the Bengals could get anything close to that there again it could be a transformative move.

Overview
A lot of picks, ten in total and a little bit of shuffling around to land a string of players that are a bit of a mixed-bag concoction, some which come with questionable associated value. Again there doesn’t seem to have been an obvious draft plan, hence why the Steelers were able to jump them so easily – but they’ve never had the most agile of front offices. The roster had a bunch of needs heading in and they’ve tried to fill them with a crop of ‘maybe’ players, outside of the first pick. It could pay off really well and this class will probably draw a range of reviews, but there’s a real chance it could deliver more of a whimper than a bang. 

Drew Sample was mostly pegged in a late day three range by media and draftnik analysts. He’s certainly someone who looks every bit the part at tight end, but played in a very strange multiple tight end offense that honed his skills as a blocker more than anything else. He did test pretty well, which is perhaps encouraging. There’s a chance he has a Will Dissly-like impact on the offense (his former teammate at Washington), where the run game gets a bit of a boost. Germaine Pratt was kind in that very much second/third tier behind the Devins and the Bengals and their consolation prize for not drafting one of those guys. He also certainly looks the part, but plays the position like he’s still learning it – which he is after only playing linebacker for one year. He might have to develop very quickly.

I was kind of hoping the Bengals would draft a quarterback who could put the heat on Dalton’s vice grip on the starting job, I’m not sure that is Ryan Finley. I like Finley and think his ceiling is high-end NFL back-up which is probably what the Bengals want him to be. He should be an upgrade over Jeff Driskell at least. At 125, I love Renell Wren’s first step without always being in love with what came after that. He’s another player who will need to develop in the NFL, but absolutely worth a shot at this spot. Michael Jordan is a long and tenacious interior, kind of miscast at center for Ohio State but showed some things at guard. He looks like he needs to fill out a little and play a little lower, or he’s going to get uprooted on a regular basis. At 21, he’s got plenty of room for growth.

After that, Trayveon Williams was a draftable running back after a very productive year at Texas A & M who loved him there. He’s a consistent home-run threat, but looks slightly underpowered to me. The Bengals probably needed to double-dip at linebacker and Deshaun Davis is probably as good a linebacker you could have got at the range he went in, in this class. I love the Rodney Anderson selection, with the caveat that I really hope he can play football again. Perhaps he gets a red shirt year in here as it’s looking like a crowded backfield around him. The Bengals waited until their last pick to select their requisite cornerback and that came in the form of Jordan Brown, who has a few things to like from a size and athleticism viewpoint. 

13 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Again there doesn’t seem to have been an obvious draft plan

I disagree. I think this was the plan, which is why they made moves like taking Sample in the 2nd. They wanted to solidify the trenches and build the run game/play action. It’s not the sexiest draft, but I think it I’ll show production. 

Awesome job by the way 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

I disagree. I think this was the plan, which is why they made moves like taking Sample in the 2nd. They wanted to solidify the trenches and build the run game/play action. It’s not the sexiest draft, but I think it I’ll show production. 

Awesome job by the way 

Thanks!

Yeah you’re right, I think they knew exactly what they wanted – but the execution of a draft plan to deliver that didn’t provide them with the best value they could have got. 

15 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

25. Cincinnati Bengals

Image result for jonah williams bengals

Selections
11. Cincinnati Bengals - Jonah Williams  [ OT ] Alabama
52. Cincinnati Bengals - Drew Sample  [ TE ] Washington
72. Cincinnati Bengals - Germaine Pratt  [ LB ] NC State
104. Cincinnati Bengals - Ryan Finley  [ QB ] NC State
125. Cincinnati Bengals - Renell Wren  [ DT ] Arizona State
136. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Jordan  [ G ] Ohio State
182. Cincinnati Bengals - Trayveon Williams  [ RB ] Texas A&M
210. Cincinnati Bengals - Deshaun Davis  [ LB ] Auburn
211. Cincinnati Bengals - Rodney Anderson  [ RB ] Oklahoma
223. Cincinnati Bengals - Jordan Brown  [ CB ] South Dakota State

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick
Obviously their best move was taking Stanley Morgan as a UDFA, but as we’re not including those…
Jonah Williams – It seemed pretty obvious the Bengals had to do a little re-thinking when the Steelers came up to 10 to grab Devin Bush, but Williams was a very good plan B. The Bengals line is still working things out after the succession plan for a once top-tier offensive line turned into a minor disaster for the team. Williams is a technician who could solidify a spot either at guard or tackle, there are shades of Andrew Whitworth about his game and if the Bengals could get anything close to that there again it could be a transformative move.

Overview
A lot of picks, ten in total and a little bit of shuffling around to land a string of players that are a bit of a mixed-bag concoction, some which come with questionable associated value. Again there doesn’t seem to have been an obvious draft plan, hence why the Steelers were able to jump them so easily – but they’ve never had the most agile of front offices. The roster had a bunch of needs heading in and they’ve tried to fill them with a crop of ‘maybe’ players, outside of the first pick. It could pay off really well and this class will probably draw a range of reviews, but there’s a real chance it could deliver more of a whimper than a bang. 

Drew Sample was mostly pegged in a late day three range by media and draftnik analysts. He’s certainly someone who looks every bit the part at tight end, but played in a very strange multiple tight end offense that honed his skills as a blocker more than anything else. He did test pretty well, which is perhaps encouraging. There’s a chance he has a Will Dissly-like impact on the offense (his former teammate at Washington), where the run game gets a bit of a boost. Germaine Pratt was kind in that very much second/third tier behind the Devins and the Bengals and their consolation prize for not drafting one of those guys. He also certainly looks the part, but plays the position like he’s still learning it – which he is after only playing linebacker for one year. He might have to develop very quickly.

I was kind of hoping the Bengals would draft a quarterback who could put the heat on Dalton’s vice grip on the starting job, I’m not sure that is Ryan Finley. I like Finley and think his ceiling is high-end NFL back-up which is probably what the Bengals want him to be. He should be an upgrade over Jeff Driskell at least. At 125, I love Renell Wren’s first step without always being in love with what came after that. He’s another player who will need to develop in the NFL, but absolutely worth a shot at this spot. Michael Jordan is a long and tenacious interior, kind of miscast at center for Ohio State but showed some things at guard. He looks like he needs to fill out a little and play a little lower, or he’s going to get uprooted on a regular basis. At 21, he’s got plenty of room for growth.

After that, Trayveon Williams was a draftable running back after a very productive year at Texas A & M who loved him there. He’s a consistent home-run threat, but looks slightly underpowered to me. The Bengals probably needed to double-dip at linebacker and Deshaun Davis is probably as good a linebacker you could have got at the range he went in, in this class. I love the Rodney Anderson selection, with the caveat that I really hope he can play football again. Perhaps he gets a red shirt year in here as it’s looking like a crowded backfield around him. The Bengals waited until their last pick to select their requisite cornerback and that came in the form of Jordan Brown, who has a few things to like from a size and athleticism viewpoint. 

How do you have the Bengals so low?  I would say they easily had one of the best drafts of anyone.  Sure not true super star but they were solid across the board.  Great OL pickup and a huge need in Jonah Williams, could play OG or OT.  Sample sure some might not like but is arguably the best blocking TE in the draft and anyone that did not see that last year in college was not paying attention.  Guy is elite at it and helps protect the QB and run the ball better obviously , is developing as a receiver but blocking is where he is at his best.  Pratt was a great pickup at that late spot, good speed and is an elite level athlete who has size and can run, should be a great fit at LB.  Then they steal Finely who arguably could have been a late 1st or 2nd round pick, could be their QB for the future.  Wren should just do great especially in that system and he has chance to develop as a pass rushing DT.  Then Jordan is another good get on the OL, could play OG or C and has a lot of ability and has started at a high level for a long time at a elite program.  Then two steals very late at RB with Williams and Anderson, both could hit but all they need is one of them too.  Williams is speedy with good vision and toughness, Anderson has 1st round potential when healthy, injuries is the biggest reason he dropped but is a good value that late.  Deshaun Davis I like as well in terms of how smart he is on the field and how instinctive he is, good leader and plays with good energy and production.  Then grab a CB late in Brown who is a project but sure but still.  

Great draft overall, easily one of the best if you look at every single pick, they hit on them all and got a good player at every pick I feel.  Sure maybe could have went DL more or CB but the players they got all of them can play arguably and they fit a role.  I agree Morgan is a great pickup as a UDFA, and yes fills that WR void easily considering they still have AJ Green and Boyd who really came on strong last year, along with Erickson, Ross and Tate as well in the wings.  

Could they have picked a CB, sure but Dennard, Kirkpatrick and Jackson are not awful, and Phillips and Harris have potential.  Safety was upgraded last year with Bates who I really liked, then they also have Shawn Williams and Fejedelem.  LB was a huge need and Pratt fills some of that need, I expect Jefferson to show up a lot more this season he is a talented player.  If they get more production out of Lawson, Hubbard or Willis they will be improved on the DL as well.  

• Like 1

I wonder how the draft would have played out if Pittsburgh didn't trade up...

My guess is Bush is the pick at 11, and we would have likely executed the rumored trade up to grab Taylor, Ford or Risner at the top of the 2nd - which would have likely cost a 3rd and any chance at Pratt or Sample. A draft in which I prefer to be honest.

Still happy with the Jonah pick though. 

• Like 2

@goldfishwars Next year you may want to consider adding a UDFA spot for one player you like in particular. It seems every year someone from that group makes an NFL impact. And while not officially part of a teams draft class, they are an extension of it.

Plus by everything I've heard Stanley Morgan Jr. would have bumped our grade up a letter score. ;) He's got a real good shot of making the squad. I need to watch more of his. The three games I picked I thought he looked pretty pedestrian. But he tested relatively well and has some flashes on tape. Good job and thanks for the effort.

• Like 4

Dallas was  solid I thought. But I'm very high on Joe Jackson, lower on McGovern.

I don't mind them giving up a FRP. That was the only first rounder trade I remember ever liking. Average draft on paper that can be great if they hit on their picks. Decent for not having a FRP.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How do you have the Bengals so low?  I would say they easily had one of the best drafts of anyone.  Sure not true super star but they were solid across the board.  Great OL pickup and a huge need in Jonah Williams, could play OG or OT.  Sample sure some might not like but is arguably the best blocking TE in the draft and anyone that did not see that last year in college was not paying attention.  Guy is elite at it and helps protect the QB and run the ball better obviously , is developing as a receiver but blocking is where he is at his best.  Pratt was a great pickup at that late spot, good speed and is an elite level athlete who has size and can run, should be a great fit at LB.  Then they steal Finely who arguably could have been a late 1st or 2nd round pick, could be their QB for the future.  Wren should just do great especially in that system and he has chance to develop as a pass rushing DT.  Then Jordan is another good get on the OL, could play OG or C and has a lot of ability and has started at a high level for a long time at a elite program.  Then two steals very late at RB with Williams and Anderson, both could hit but all they need is one of them too.  Williams is speedy with good vision and toughness, Anderson has 1st round potential when healthy, injuries is the biggest reason he dropped but is a good value that late.  Deshaun Davis I like as well in terms of how smart he is on the field and how instinctive he is, good leader and plays with good energy and production.  Then grab a CB late in Brown who is a project but sure but still.  

Great draft overall, easily one of the best if you look at every single pick, they hit on them all and got a good player at every pick I feel.  Sure maybe could have went DL more or CB but the players they got all of them can play arguably and they fit a role.  I agree Morgan is a great pickup as a UDFA, and yes fills that WR void easily considering they still have AJ Green and Boyd who really came on strong last year, along with Erickson, Ross and Tate as well in the wings.  

Could they have picked a CB, sure but Dennard, Kirkpatrick and Jackson are not awful, and Phillips and Harris have potential.  Safety was upgraded last year with Bates who I really liked, then they also have Shawn Williams and Fejedelem.  LB was a huge need and Pratt fills some of that need, I expect Jefferson to show up a lot more this season he is a talented player.  If they get more production out of Lawson, Hubbard or Willis they will be improved on the DL as well.  

Because it's his opinion and also because no team really had an awful draft. When you do these rankings somebody has to be 32 and someone 1 and it's just a personal opinion of GFW who does a great job. The Sample pick really dropped them hard because other than that they had a pretty good draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Kind of spent a while writing that out

It's my fault, didn't send the check this year prior to grading.  As for the Bengals not having a plan, I do disagree.  This is the first year that I can recall where the Bengals traded up multiple times for the guy they wanted.

I do however, agree with the grade/rank.  Looking at the draft class there's maybe 1 pro bowl player potential and the rest are guys.  That said, I liked the draft and will die on the Drew Sample hill, lol.  Zac Taylor knew what he needed to implement his system, and drafted accordingly.  There's only so much you can do in one draft though...

• Like 2

On 2019-04-29 at 6:29 AM, Gmen said:

First of all, I’d like to say that I appreciate the time and effort that goes into these every year. I enjoy reading them, even though grading a draft after two days is an exercise in futility.

Secondly, I’d like to defend the Giants draft and Gettleman a bit. It’s amazing how much crap Gettleman is getting considering his resume. He’s been a part of 6 teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Last year he nailed the draft. Saquon Barkley is the best RB in the NFL, Hernandez and Hill both started as rookies and In a redraft I saw recently both were 1st round picks. Lorenzo Carter is slated to start at edge. A+ draft in his first draft. And his best move was the one he was criticized for the most - passing on Darnold, Allen and Rosen and taking Barkley. He may be brash and say things that make him an easy target, but his resume holds up and he earned the benefit of the doubt. He knows how to build a team.

In addition to having Saquon and our new franchise QB, The Giants have accumulated a lot of young defensive talent moving forward : BJ Hill, Dexter Lawrence, Dalvin Tomlinson, Lorenzo Carter, Oshane Ximines, Deandre Baker, Sam Beal, Jabrill Peppers. There’s a lot to look forward to in Giants land

Lol