67. San Francisco 49ers - Jalen Hurd  [ WR ] Baylor
110. San Francisco 49ers - Mitch Wishnowsky  [ P ] Utah
148. San Francisco 49ers - Dre Greenlaw  [ LB ] Arkansas
176. San Francisco 49ers - Kaden Smith  [ TE ] Stanford
183. San Francisco 49ers - Justin Skule  [ OT ] Vanderbilt
198. San Francisco 49ers - Tim Harris  [ CB ] Virginia

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick
Deebo Samuel  - Assuming Nick Bosa at 2 was probably the biggest no-brainer in this year’s draft, I have to give kudos for the Samuel pick simply because he was my favorite receiver in this year’s class and I was really hoping the Patriots had drafted him. Potentially he could have got a little lost in the 2nd day receiver shuffle, but clearly the 49ers like his combination of technical skill and competiveness. He absolutely dominated the Senior Bowl week where he was the class of the field, showing off his smooth route running and there’s an extra gear to find in the NFL where he’ll finally have a half-way decent quarterback throwing to him. 

Overview
Firstly this was really hard, we are definitely getting into the realms of teams who still managed to make picks I really love so I’m having to think more about how well teams did against the draft capital they had at their disposal, what value they got at their picks and whether their needs were successfully addressed. I’m not sure the 49ers score that well on the last two points. Heading in they were expected to address the secondary which has suffered from poor health and inconsistent play. That did not happen until the 6th round and for a traitsy corner who has had his own health concerns. Safety was left unaddressed completely. Perhaps, it’s simply a reflection that they feel pretty good about the crop they have. 

Bosa was 3rd on my big board and the top edge in the class, I don’t need to waste too much time on his selection because I don’t have anything to add which hasn’t been said. It’s exactly what they need and teams are going to have their hands full handling what the Niners can throw at them next season. I heard Shanahan talking about the Jalen Hurd pick and it makes sense, he was kind of a wild card swiss-army prospect in this year’s class and he's landed on a team with the kind of creative mind who can help him the most. Time will tell if he proves to be worth the investment, but it’s worth noting that David Montgomery, Justin Layne, Terry McLaurin, Darrell Henderson, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Chase Winovich and Jace Sternberger who were all drafted after he was. 

Mitch Wishnowsky is a punter and he better be a damn good one to go in the 4th round. An Australian native, he now gets to punt-off against fellow countryman Michael Dickson twice per year which is cool. But seriously, he better be as good as Dickson who was taken in the 5th last year. Dre Greenlaw is a linebacker in a bad linebacker class, I honestly would not have questioned it if he had gone undrafted because those later round guys all merged into each other. Kaden Smith was very well liked until he tested very poorly indeed, but there’s stuff to like about what he put out. As ex-Stanford tight ends go, he’s probably more Jim Dray than Zach Ertz. I know nothing about Justin Skule other than his dad is really really high up in the FBI. Does anyone know anything about Justin Skule? I know every other tackle drafted in this damn class. 

Good solid write up sir.

So the feeling that we have on why we didn't address the secondary is the same for why they didn't address the pass rush when it was such a big need last season...The FO simply didn't like the secondary players in this class and didn't think they would beat out our current group. I think they will go into next offseason making it a big priority to address that area if it doesn't perform well this season. I will say though, our corners are not nearly as bad as people think. We had super inconsistent safety play and a bunch of coverage breakdowns, but the corners are fine. Witherspoon had a rough start to the season but by mid-season was our best corner on the team and Sherman was solid all year and should be better this season. We also drafted Moore last year and the team seems to be intrigued with him and obviously added Verrett who is a big question mark. To me, the big miss was not addressing the safety position. There were some really solid safeties to be had in the 3rd and even 4th rounds that the team bypassed. Definitely understand why the team would get knocked for not adding a safety in the draft. 

• Like 1

Pretty much spot on. Allen was awesome, Taylor was risky but all things considered is an incredible fit and could be an amazing value or he could flame out. The rest is underwhelming. Oliver has tools but drafting the other Q Williams in round 3 bc you weren’t sure he’d last til round 5 is moronic. You mean he was higher than everyone else? Sounds like you knew he was a 4th/5th round guy but you took him late 3...which isnt smart. I’m fine with the later stuff as how many 6/7 rounders stick?

Nice work GFW

• Like 2

I always like this topic. Good work. I will say that this year, more than most years, I felt like there were very few teams that straight messed up (Giants) and few teams that clearly did great (Redskins, who'd have thunk it?). There is a lot of legitimate debate you could have from like 4-28 or whatever in terms of what teams ranked where.

• Like 1

17. Philadelphia Eagles

Image result for dillard draft texans eagles

Selections
22. Philadelphia Eagles - Andre Dillard  [ OT ] Washington State
53. Philadelphia Eagles - Miles Sanders  [ RB ] Penn State
57. Philadelphia Eagles - JJ Arcega-Whiteside  [ WR ] Stanford
138. Philadelphia Eagles - Shareef Miller  [ DE ] Penn State
167. Philadelphia Eagles - Clayton Thorson  [ QB ] Northwestern

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick 
Andre Dillard  - Howie loves his trenches picks and gave up a 4th and 6th round picks to go up three spots and break Houston hearts to secure their franchise left tackle of the future. That's quite a move considering how critical that spot has become for them. Jason Peters is 37 and the fact he’s willing to come back at all this year is a minor miracle given the injuries he’s had late in his great career. We don’t know what he has left, but Dillard is a pretty nice succession plan to have in-house. Offensive tackles come in Andre Dillard sized packages and whilst he’s already been groomed with countless NFL pass-sets at Washington State, his run blocking is more of a projection – but one that looks promising thanks to an impressive athletic profile. 

Overview

The Eagles ended up making five selections, the three at the top are certainly all capable of making early contributions. The trade up to get Dillard was the headline act even if it might be a redshirt year for 1st rounder. Which is kind of how it should be, but often isn’t for less well-stocked teams. And the Eagles are well-stocked at most positions, that's still an impressive looking depth chart and they supplemented most of the weaker areas here. Perhaps depth on the interior offensive line was one area left unchecked they might have looked at if they had held onto the number of picks they had heading in. 

I liked Miles Sanders as prospect, he’s someone who seemed to ‘rise’ throughout the process – answering more questions than other running back prospects could answer. He’s got a well-rounded skill-set and obviously there’s not a huge amount of tread on the tyres being Saquon Barkley’s back-up until this past year. Like Barkley, he can be factor in the run and passing game which gives any team a big tactical advantage. He’s obviously smart and operates well in space. I think I might have been tempted to take a slightly more physical runner if I were the Eagles, given their recent issues in filling the role – but there are few qualms with this selection.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside also has a lot to like about his game, namely his ability to box out defenders and make contested catches by utilising his impressive body control. I kind of go back and forth with him. He’s a little bit of an enigma because his best traits may or may not succeed in the NFL, but this does feel like a really good landing spot for him. The Eagles have put together a real basketball team at the receiver positions and they’re going to be a really tough team to match up on if they can stay healthy there. 

Then you get to Shareef Miller and Clayton Thorson with the final two picks in four and five. The hometown boy Miller in the 4th is okay, he was probably a little overlooked because there’s stuff to like about his size and get-off. Thorson was many people’s poster boy later round quarterback to take a chance on. He’s a rhythmic west-coast thrower who might develop into a decent backup. He’ll have long-time back-up Nate Sudfeld and recent AAF employee and Luis Perez to compete with for roster spots. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I’m definitely not on board with the Abrams pick but i think the Jacobs pick catches a lot of crap bc it was part of the Mack trade and people make it look like a 1 for 1 trade. Ferrell wasnt great value imo and thats the bigger issue people have moreso than the player himself. Its not Tyson Alualu bad but people make it seem that way bc its the Raiders. He’s very talented and definitely wasn’t falling to 24 and trading down was a tough spot to be in after Bosa and Q were gone

I saw Abrams literally cover Jerry Jeudy in man coverage against Bama and people say "he can't cover". I literally don't understand. His play strength is phenomenal. I saw him toss hockenson in the run game and show stack and shed ability consistently. I'm not saying he's an elite prospect, but we're going to run 3 safety looks and he'll allow joyner to play a lot of slot and Joseph to play his natural free safety role where he excelled last year. Abram will cover tight ends and clean things up in the box.

And I agree that Ferrell was overdrafted at 4, but I also think he was a top 15 prospect, who fit a need, and has better hand usage/pass rush moves/strength/speed to power than Burns/Allen, who people wanted the Raiders to take at 4. Plus no character/injury red flags.

If Jacobs has a Zeke/Kamara like impact for Oakland, will this class grade change?

He will run legit routes for us and catch a lot of balls in addition to being our bell cow.

Edited by MrOaktown_56

via Bob McGinn's Draft series, here's the write up on Abram

JOHNATHAN ABRAM, Mississippi State (5-11 ½, 210, 4.44, 1-2): Physical presence and vocal leader for the Bulldogs. “He’s just a (bleep) hammer,” said one scout. “He can run but he’s more of a run-down player. Not that he stinks against the pass, but if you’re drafting him you’re drafting him to be an enforcer.” Played quarterback and was valedictorian of his high-school class in Columbia, Miss. Wonderlic of 23. “Potential tone-setter,” said a second scout. “He trusts his eyes and he wants to knock the (bleep) out of you. Watching him fly around and hit people is awesome.”
Starter at Georgia as a freshman but clashed with coach Kirby Smart and played 2016 at a junior college. Two-year starter for Mississippi State, finishing with 195 tackles (15 ½ for loss), two picks and 10 PBUs. “He’s probably the best (defensive back in the draft),” a third scout said. “He’ll hit you. Really good blitzer. Plays over the slot. The negative is you don’t see him play over the deep part of the field. He plays underneath. Really aggressive. At times he needs to slow it down.” Added a fourth scout: “He can cover well enough for how he’s going to be used. He’s going to be a run-support guy first.”

20 hours ago, The LBC said:

Thing is, I consider "covering TE's" to be part of the duty of an "in-box safety".  Not necessarily carrying them deep without passing them off, but you don't often get a ton of teams sending the TE's on corner, post, and flag routes, let alone sending them on 9-routes unless they're split off into the slot pre-snap.  And the issue for me with Abram is where his shows the most fluidity when covering routes is when guys try to take him deep and he can utilize his long-speed by just flipping his hips and running alongside a receiver.  I've watched good TE's (which he's going to find, at minimum in every AFC West game, if not most NFL games) regularly find separation from him working intermediate and crossing routes that he wasn't able to pass off to a linebacker.

Range, or lack thereof, is the trait that I don't see a great deal of in Abram, which I believe is what @goldfishwars is referring to. He's an extremely linear player.  Oh, he'll absolutely get downhill in a hurry, but his sideline to sideline range is something I'm not even sure I'd describe as average, he's not terribly instinctive (and instincts, for me personally, are an absolute MUST for taking any safety in the first two rounds), and, at least from what we've seen on tape, his ball skills are non-existent.  To me, he's a Calvin Pryor clone with lesser instincts and I felt Pryor was overhyped and the league has tended to pass safeties like that by.

Tell me how this 2nd play (:10) isn't showing range? When you said Abram has below average range sideline to sideline, you lost all credibility. Especially considering he ran a 4.45. 

5:45 watch the coverage on Jeudy and tell me he can't change direction.

He's closer to Jamal Adams than Pryor. I don't see the "lack of instincts" you're talking about. I've seen him blow up plenty of screens where he recognizes the play before it begins and gets in there. 

We don't need a rangy safety. We already have that in Joseph, who did his best work in deep coverage last year, as evidenced by his work on Tyreek Hill/Mahomes' deep ball last year.

Abram is a good football player. Maybe he doesn't mean your abritrary safety criteria, but this was definitely a good range to pick him in and I think he'll fill a much needed role on the team. 

16. New England Patriots

Image result for n'keal harry patriots

Selections

32. New England Patriots - N'Keal Harry  [ WR ] Arizona State

45. New England Patriots - Joejuan Williams  [ CB ] Vanderbilt

77. New England Patriots - Chase Winovich  [ DE ] Michigan

87. New England Patriots - Damien Harris  [ RB ] Alabama

101. New England Patriots - Yodny Cajuste  [ OT ] West Virginia

118. New England Patriots - Hjalte Froholdt  [ G ] Arkansas

133. New England Patriots - Jarrett Stidham  [ QB ] Auburn

159. New England Patriots - Byron Cowart  [ DT ] Maryland

163. New England Patriots - Jake Bailey  [ P ] Stanford

252. New England Patriots - Ken Webster  [ CB ] Ole Miss

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick

Chase Winovich – One of the best value picks in the whole draft down at 77 and another dude who seemed destined to play for a team Winovich was most matched to. He seemed to be an ascending quantity as the draft approached, so it was a surprise to see him still available in the 3rd round. He’s obviously not the most explosive or edge-bending pass-rusher in the draft, but he is craftsman at the position and can beat guys with hustle and a developed arsenal of hand moves. He probably isn’t a going to win any sack total awards, but he’s someone who’ll probably stick around for a good while.

Overview

Firstly, I know a lot of you really like the Patriots draft. This is a weird spot to be in as a fan of the Patriots, but whilst I’m really excited about aspects of our draft – I still have a few too many questions to put them any higher. Six picks in the first three rounds of the draft should have been a home-run. I do think we got good value at most of our spots and it’s really nice to see players with name recognition taken up high who aren’t former Lacrosse-playing special teamers from Rutgers. But man, 12 picks and we didn’t take a single Tight End when there is no obvious starting tight end on the roster? I thought we would draft two and now here we are without a single pick. And no Safety pick with a deep class and two ageing guys back there? Another running back in the 3rd? No Defensive Tackle pick until pick 159? Trading up to get a right-footed punter in the 5th? Life is extremely hard as a Patriots fan and I know you guys have my full sympathy on this. 

K’Neal Harry is another prospect I keep going back and forth on. He’s a bully of a receiver who can win at the catch point and has deceptive athleticism and great hands. But the lack of separation is a concern, one that we’ll probably mitigate by moving him around and scheming things up. There are shades (only shades) of the Aaron Dobson selection a few years ago, where he could just never get on the same page as Brady. To be fair, Harry is a more polished prospect coming out and I’ve probably been burned by Patriots receiver picks too often to be overly optimistic about this one. It’s not a skill-set I’m used to seeing doing well in our offense, but I do like the player.

I think the Joejuan Williams selection, who apparently they liked enough to take in the 1st, who the Pats traded up for in the second round is probably a match-up selection. He’s enormous for a cornerback, but Stephon Gilmore he is not. I think he’s a weapon to match up on big receivers and tight ends and you’ll see his snap count jump up and down from week to week, depending on who they face. He’s a great dude though and you can’t help rooting for him to do well. Damien Harris in the 3rd is only okay. I get that he’s probably insurance for Sony Michel who has had some durability concerns. He’s a little low on juice, but he’s a patient, intelligent runner who is built for a big workload whereas other backs on the team are not.

The Pats went back to back offensive line with the next two picks, in Yodny Cajuste and Danish Hjalte Froholdt. Cajuste got some 1st round attention early on in the process after an excellent season for West Virginia. He’s an enormous dude at 6’6 and 320 pounds, not the easiest mover – but powerful as hell and Scar can get to work on the refinements he needs. The two season ending knee surgeries in his past are a bit of a concern, but tackle was a need spot with Isaiah Wynn returning from injury with zero NFL snaps under his belt and questions about Marcus Cannon’s ongoing and long-term status. Froholdt is a decent athlete, who had a memorable matchup with Quinnen Williams. He’s a little green around the gills, but now gets to work with the best O-line coach in the league and is probably contract insurance for Joe Thuney.

Then we move onto four pretty unexciting picks. Jarrett Stidham looks every bit the part ofan NFL quarterback, but just couldn’t take that next step at a big program. He could absolutely develop into a decent back-up in this league, but I would bet good money that he both beats out Danny Etling and is not the long-term answer to Brady. Former five-star recruit Byron Cowart flamed out at Auburn, before slightly resurrecting himself at Missouri. He’s got some inside/outside ability on the defensive line, but needs to shed that underachiever tag to get a shot in New England. Jake Bailey in the 5th will be competition for Ryan Allen at punter, who is back on a one year deal and been more than serviceable here. Bailey had the best hang-time of any punter in college, so we’ll see how that competition plays out. Ken Webster had great workout numbers, but he’s up against it to make the team at a corner position which is really stacked right now. He might have to wait it out on a practice squad.  

I mean, one of the reasons I am a big fan of the Pats' draft (not that I want them to continue to do well, they have done well enough for some time now IMO)  is that Cajuste and Froholdt are guys with a ton of potential, but also need a fair bit of work and there's really no one better to get that work done than Scarnecchia, who is perhaps the 2nd most important person in the entire New England Patriots organization now.

I'm not as high on Winnovich, Harry, and Williams as many are but they had as good an OL draft as anyone.  Points deducted for drafting a punter though ;p (a right footed one no less!)

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Tell me how this 2nd play (:10) isn't showing range? When you said Abram has below average range sideline to sideline, you lost all credibility. Especially considering he ran a 4.45. 

5:45 watch the coverage on Jeudy and tell me he can't change direction.

He's closer to Jamal Adams than Pryor. I don't see the "lack of instincts" you're talking about. I've seen him blow up plenty of screens where he recognizes the play before it begins and gets in there. 

We don't need a rangy safety. We already have that in Joseph, who did his best work in deep coverage last year, as evidenced by his work on Tyreek Hill/Mahomes' deep ball last year.

Abram is a good football player. Maybe he doesn't mean your abritrary safety criteria, but this was definitely a good range to pick him in and I think he'll fill a much needed role on the team. 

We're really going to have to do this again (not specifically you, but I feel like I've had this conversation with people on this site close to 10x by now)?  Straight line speed =/= sideline-to-sideline speed.  It just plain doesn't.

He's not Jamal Adams.  You genuinely should feel bad for making that comp because it's a really bad comp.  Adams had both scheme and safety-assignment versatility that Abram hasn't shown.

Look, I'm not saying you can't feel good about your pick, I'm saying the value was questionable-at-best because traits I listed, particularly demonstrated plus-instincts are the single greatest indicator of success in translation from college to the pros for a DB.  Higher combination of ceiling AND floor equates to greater value, that's basic math.

You're cherrypicking single plays to make illustrations.  I could easily do that as well.  Hockenson ate him alive in terms of getting consistent separation on intermediate and crossing route.

51 minutes ago, The LBC said:

We're really going to have to do this again (not specifically you, but I feel like I've had this conversation with people on this site close to 10x by now)?  Straight line speed =/= sideline-to-sideline speed.  It just plain doesn't.

He's not Jamal Adams.  You genuinely should feel bad for making that comp because it's a really bad comp.  Adams had both scheme and safety-assignment versatility that Abram hasn't shown.

Look, I'm not saying you can't feel good about your pick, I'm saying the value was questionable-at-best because traits I listed, particularly demonstrated plus-instincts are the single greatest indicator of success in translation from college to the pros for a DB.  Higher combination of ceiling AND floor equates to greater value, that's basic math.

You're cherrypicking single plays to make illustrations.  I could easily do that as well.  Hockenson ate him alive in terms of getting consistent separation on intermediate and crossing route.

Ok but sideline to sideline speed is a physical trait. You have it or you don't. He has it. Did he not cover a ton of ground there to make that tackle? I don't understand what you're getting at. I haven't seen him struggle to make plays along the sideline because his pursuit speed is quite good. Are you talking about speed when the ball is in the air? When I think of range, I think of covering a lot of ground to make a pbu/tackle and he clearly can do that. He's not a linear athlete. 

I said he's closer to Jamal Adams physically than Calvin Pryor. I never said he's Jamal Adams. I actually can't find a good comp for abrams based on play style and physical profile.

They're similar in terms of HWS. That doesn't make a safety, but you act like guys who excel/thrive in the box don't have value and Adams went top 10. 

Obviously Adams is a better prospect and had more responsibility. No one is debating that.  

But what traits are questionable exactly? His physical profile? 

Hockenson is one of the best tight end prospects I've ever seen. If he had a good game on Abram, that means he's a really good player. Doesn't mean Abram can't cover. That's like saying if a corner got burned on a go route by Jeudy, that he's slow. Not really. Just means Jeudy is fast.

Feels like we have the same conversation about "blow up" safeties versus coverage guys every year.  I'm just not sure if the highly touted "blow up" guy has ever really hit in recent memory but there's a first time for everything.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

19 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

19. Jacksonville Jaguars

Image result for josh allen jaguars

Selections
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Josh Allen  [ DE ] Kentucky
35. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jawaan Taylor  [ OT ] Florida
69. Jacksonville Jaguars - Josh Oliver  [ TE ] San Jose State
98. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quincy Williams  [ LB ] Murray State
140. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ryquell Armstead  [ RB ] Temple
178. Jacksonville Jaguars - Gardner Minshew  [ QB ] Washington State
235. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dontavius Russell  [ DT ] Auburn

Picks Heading In

Favorite Pick 
Josh Allen – I mean, not a no-brainer pick because not many brains were predicting Josh Allen to land at their feet. But the fact he was and the fact they did not stick with their (apparent) plan to select TJ Hockenson means the Jaguars land themselves a really good first round pick which is something that hasn’t happened very often. I love what Allen could be on this Jags scheme which will give him the opportunity to line up in quirky alignments, drop into coverage and do a bunch of stuff that his almost unfathomable skill-set can deliver. Getting an extra pass-rusher was a sneaky need for the Jags and they’ve landed an exceptional, flexible talent here.

Overview
Man, the party kind of ran out of steam early on this haul. This was heading for a potential all-timer, but instead it’s kind of really great at the top and a little ‘I’m not sure about this’ after there. But still, if those top two pan out, then everyone should be happy. I was personally mocking Jawaan Taylor to the Jags at 7, I love that fit for this offense – just get a long-armed man mover on the right side and let him maul dudes. It’s rare to land a guy your team needs exactly. You’ve got to take the fall and knee situation into consideration, apparently it could be as bad as a one contract deal. We kind of heard that with Myles Jack, so we will see. 

A lot of people liked Josh Oliver as a prospect, personally I wouldn’t have drafted him over the next three tight ends off the board and the last one of those (Dawson Knox) went almost 30 picks later. That’s not to say he wasn’t expected to go in this kind of range, there was always that chance because he’s a naturally gifted athlete who can consistently threaten the seam which is always nice to have at that position. I’m surprised the Jags like him, because he doesn’t block anybody and plays the position very much like the wide receiver convert he is. The Quincy Williams pick, I mean – has anyone found out who this guy is? The linebacker class was very much pick-your-poison after the Devins were off the board, but this might be taking that a little far. I know he’s 5’11 and 220, which light for a linebacker and that he’s Quinnen Williams’ older brother, but really none of this stuff is makes any sense especially that last part.   

Man, Ryquell Armstead was the most Jags running back they could have possibly selected. A chunky chain-moving back who probably isn’t a factor in the passing game, I feel like we’ve seen this movie before. He’s a nice fit as a one-cut runner, decisive and has good contact balance. There’s not a lot of subtlety to his game, but that’s obviously not a requirement there in Jacksonville. Gardner Minshew is a kind of a weird prospect at QB, a jittery playmaker who is kind of the Hunter Renfrow of quarterbacks in that if you were to draw a quarterback he would not look anything like Gardner Minshew, and you would not name the dude in that drawing Gardner Minshew. I like the Dontavius Russell pick late, there’s nothing subtle about his game either – just a difficult guy to move on the middle of a defense. 

Feel like this is the right spot for a ranking immediately after.

Amazing top two, the rest is a huge question mark. I think Oliver was DeFlippos guy and makes a lot of sense for what Foles likes in his TE's. If he ends up being a strong presence in the passing game this draft will be great looking back.

Quincy I have zero idea about, but since the draft we've started to get some "he deserved to go where he was drafted" and considering the school it feels like he could have some sneaky upside.

• Like 1