Draft Grades and Thoughts?

Johnny Nix

Last comment on Sample. The Bengals are obviously going to play him a lot, and they're going to throw him the ball. Hes not just going to block. So we'll find out fairly quickly if he was worth the pick or not. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, theJ said:

Last comment on Sample. The Bengals are obviously going to play him a lot, and they're going to throw him the ball. Hes not just going to block. So we'll find out fairly quickly if he was worth the pick or not. 

It really depends how similar Taylor’s offense is to McVay’s. If he runs 11 personnel (3 WR, 1RB, 1TE) 50-60% of the time there aren’t going to be many opportunities for snaps with Uzomah and Eifert already in the fold.

We’ll see though. We have no idea what this offense will look like. The preseason will be interesting.

46 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It really depends how similar Taylor’s offense is to McVay’s. If he runs 11 personnel (3 WR, 1RB, 1TE) 50-60% of the time there aren’t going to be many opportunities for snaps with Uzomah and Eifert already in the fold.

We’ll see though. We have no idea what this offense will look like. The preseason will be interesting.

Yeah it comes down to usage. If they use him and he can perform everyone will forget about this 2nd round tag. 

I think they are going to take it easy on Eifert workload. Also making sure they have a plan in case he gets hurt again. What’s done is done. I’m rooting for Sample to prove all the doubters wrong and make us look like geniuses for grabbing him in the second. I might even get a Sample Jersey 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think they are going to take it easy on Eifert workload. Also making sure they have a plan in case he gets hurt again. What’s done is done. I’m rooting for Sample to prove all the doubters wrong and make us look like geniuses for grabbing him in the second. I might even get a Sample Jersey 

I would suspect we don't see him much between the 20's, if at all.  95% of the TE offense goes through Sample and Uzomah, and Eifert becomes a touchdown vulture of sorts in the redzone.

Imagine lining up against an offense with AJ Green, CJ Uzomah, Tyler Eifert, John Ross and Joe Mixon at the skill positions.  Lots of touchdown potential there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I would suspect we don't see him much between the 20's, if at all.  95% of the TE offense goes through Sample and Uzomah, and Eifert becomes a touchdown vulture of sorts in the redzone.

Imagine lining up against an offense with AJ Green, CJ Uzomah, Tyler Eifert, John Ross and Joe Mixon at the skill positions.  Lots of touchdown potential there.

I agree to some degree, but I also think that plan goes out the window when we need help moving the ball and Uzomah/Sample aren’t cutting it. They will be tempted to use Eifert more than be should be used 

22 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I agree to some degree, but I also think that plan goes out the window when we need help moving the ball and Uzomah/Sample aren’t cutting it. They will be tempted to use Eifert more than be should be used 

If they aren't cutting it, then yeah they'll pull Eifert in more.  But that won't be the plan going into the season, and if Sample can do what they think he can do, we'll only see Eifert in select packages.

24 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm still clinging on to the concept that Eifert isn't injury prone as much as he is extremely unlucky. It seems like all his injuries have been unrelated freak accidents.

I agree.  It's not the same thing over and over,  but there's still got to be something to it.

I expect Sample to get more snaps than either Eifert or Uzomah.  I won't be surprised if Eifert is lineup up out wide with Boyd in the slot and Green on the opposite side with Sample in line quite a bit.  Try to match Eifert up out wide against shorter corners.  Sample inline can either block, be used in play action, hit the flats or attack the middle.

If Ryan Finley ever gets a chance he’s gonna be a Top 10 QB. I’m afraid he may never get a shot cause Bengals might just draft a QB in the 1st next year. Finley has the best intelligence, accuracy, touch, pocket poise, ability to read coverages, and release of this entire class. Well, 2nd best release to Murray, Murrays just pops out like a rocket and very quick. Finley is head and shoulders a better prospect than Daniel Jones. 

He'll have a chance to get some good tape in the preseason.  If it's not here, someone will give him a chance.  I think the goal now, is for him to backup for a few years and potentially take over when  Andy is done. I don't think we're much more likely to draft qb next year as we were this one.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:07 AM, theJ said:

Just made a similar point to JoeGoodberry when discussing Sample.  We have plenty of pass catchers, so I'm not concerned about Sample turning into Travis Kelce as a receiver to justify a 2nd round pick on him.  What I saw from Sample is an elite level of blocking prowess, and an ability to exploit open zones in defenses.  He'll be the guy that does all the little things that doesn't show up in the stat sheet but should allow our other Stars to shine...