Draft Grades and Thoughts?

Johnny Nix

Just now, theJ said:

Yeah that's what i was going to respond to @SmittyBacall with.  I think the success of some of those other players being drafted later is contributing the rise in guys like Sample being drafted earlier.  It's how these things tend to go.  

Considering Dawson Knox - who profiles similar to Sample - went in the 3rd, maybe you're right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Um, he's considered a blocking TE because he wasn't much of a pass catcher in college. If he was an NFL caliber receiving TE, his college would have thrown to him more. The issue isn't his hands or catch radius, it's that he isn't much of a route runner. 

False.  I don't have a link, but someone posted a ton of plays where Sample was WIDE open and Browning simply didn't see him, didn't go through his progressions, or simply chose to force the ball for a chance at a much bigger play.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

False.  I don't have a link, but someone posted a ton of plays where Sample was WIDE open and Browning simply didn't see him, didn't go through his progressions, or simply chose to force the ball for a chance at a much bigger play.  

100% what I saw in the 2-3 games I watched.  Not trying to make it up to support Sample, it's plain as day when watching that Browning is just awful...

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I wonder how the draft would have played out if Pittsburgh didn't trade up...

My guess is Bush is the pick at 11, and we would have likely executed the rumored trade up to grab Taylor, Ford or Risner at the top of the 2nd - which would have likely cost a 3rd and any chance at Pratt or Sample. A draft in which I prefer to be honest.

Still happy with the Jonah pick though. 

Not to nitpick, but I would prefer what we actually did.

Bush with Risner/Taylor/Ford<<<<<<< Williams, Sample, Pratt and Wren

54 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Considering Dawson Knox - who profiles similar to Sample - went in the 3rd, maybe you're right.

Dawson Know was the exact comparison I was going to throw in.  He didn't have much production with the trio of Brown, Metcalf and whoever, plus a decent running game.  

Here's the thing blocking is very important, and it's not 100% on just the OL.  TEs and sometimes WRs, and RBs are vital.  Taking a look at this cut up for Drew Sample, you can see he's not just "good for a TE" at blocking, he can legit be left one-on-one against EDGE defenders in run or pass blocking and hold his own:

Then you have a TE like Jace Sternberger, who a lot of Bengal fans (myself included) were saying they wanted in the 3rd round, who can't do that.  Plays more of the Eifert role, but we re-signed Eifert already...

3 hours ago, theJ said:

So SF must have some magic in a bottle or something right, because otherwise George Kittle's college would have thrown to him more?  There are other examples too.  It's why you've seen numerous TE's go late in the draft and turn into stud receivers as soon as they hit the NFL.

The issue is that college's just don't throw to TE's much.  Their offenses just aren't predicated on getting pass production out of their TE's, generally.

Kittle is from the well known TE factory of Iowa. You're basically arguing that Chris Peterson is a bad coach if he couldn't get the ball to Sample. 

12 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Jamie Collins, Ziggy Ansah, Suh, Liuget, Shane Ray, all sitting out there...

Bengals aren't going to sing any high profile guys like Berry or Suh.  But we could sign useful guys like Manti Teo or Zach Brown, or Dontrelle Inman, or Joe Barksdale or Brandon Fusco. We could have re-signed Josh Shaw cheap or Jake Ryan but they're now with other teams on cheap deals. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Kittle is from the well known TE factory of Iowa. You're basically arguing that Chris Peterson is a bad coach if he couldn't get the ball to Sample. 

No, that Browning is a bad QB who couldn't get through his progressions to find the open receiver and that the Washington offense often had the TE as the 3rd read or later in pass plays which is problematic when the QB doesn't come off the first read all that often.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

No, that Browning is a bad QB who couldn't get through his progressions to find the open receiver and that the Washington offense often had the TE as the 3rd read or later in pass plays which is problematic when the QB doesn't come off the first read all that often.

IOW, Peterson is a bad coach if he can't get his QB to throw to the open receiver.