My top 3 best and worst drafts.

Suffering_Bills

YES, I know we can't truly judge any draft until about three years down the road, but we can go by what we see on paper, to whatever extent, right? There were some tough choices to be made here, for sure, but I went with which teams I thought had the best hauls of talent.

#1. ARIZONA.

Kyler Murray at #1 starts off the entire draft, and I can't fault the Cardinals at all. Sucks for them that they got peanuts for Rosen, but they now have a true face for their franchise. Just a dynamic talent. Murphy in the 2nd was a bit of a mini-steal, as he might be the best all-around corner in the draft. Totally sensible pick, as another quality cover-man was needed opposite Peterson. And, since the new QB needs weapons, they did exactly that, starting with slot nightmare Andy Isabella in the second round. He will be an absolute pain to try and cover. Zach Allen in the 3rd was solid, if not spectacular. Their next two selections were just pure larceny, what with Hakeem Butler in the 4th, and Deionte Thompson in the 5th. I see six starters, even if not all immediately, with their first six picks. Awesome job.

#2. OAKLAND.

I'll admit Clelin Ferrell was a bit of a reach, but he was still a 1st-round talent all day, so the Raiders picked him over Gary, Allen, and whomever else. They got the guy they wanted, and he will help their pass-rush, so there's that. Jacobs will be their feature back right out of the gate, and he's a good one. True 3-down, bell-cow type of back. Abram will provide an intimidating presence at safety. Mullen has the look of an eventual starting cornerback, and quite possibly a pretty good one. Maxx Crosby is more of a developmental prospect, but all the tools are there to work with. Isaiah Johnson adds more depth at CB. Foster Moreau could develop into a starting TE. Renfrow is an interesting slot WR prospect, who should get opportunities with Brown and Williams split wide. Very solid draft, in all.

#3. WASHINGTON.

It wasn't even so much the fact that they got Haskins; it's more that they didn't even need to trade up to select him. This draft will probably be forever tied to the QB's that the NFC east rivals selected, with the Giants and Redskins drafting whom they did. Time will surely tell. The trading up for Montez Sweat move was a gamble that could pay off hugely down the road. Well worth the risk, in my humble opinion. Terry McLaurin adds legitimate speed to the WR corps, and his familiarity with Haskins can't hurt a bit. Bryce Love, when fully recovered from his injury, could be a dynamic 3rd-down/change-of-pace RB. I have absolutely NO idea why Kelvin Harmon fell to the 6th, but he has the look of an eventual starter. They got some quality depth with their other selections. Quite nicely done, on all levels.

Okay; and now for the three that I thought sucked the most. Apologies in advance to those who may be offended, but it's how I see it.

#1. HOUSTON.

Well, they got the needs part right, far as O-line help goes, but they chose, I believe, the entirely wrong players. Tytus Howard was a classic reach, by any standard. And they expect him to play what, left tackle?? Coming from his level of competition? High hopes. He seemed more like a project... -at RIGHT tackle. They should have traded up and selected Andre Dillard, like the Eagles DID, one pick ahead of them. Speaking of right tackles, they drafted another one in the second round, and it was once again a reach, based on pre-draft projections.... -by again at least a full round, in Max Scharping. I guess they think these two guys will be their bookends, but I'm skeptical as heck about that ever coming to fruition. Lonnie Johnson in the 2nd is an interesting cornerback prospect, who might be a better fit at safety. Charles Omenihu has size, but not much speed, at defensive end. They should have done things so much differently that it isn't even funny. If I'm Deshaun Watson, I can't be thrilled with this at all.

#2. N.Y. GIANTS.

Daniel Jones at #6 overall. Nothing else to add.

#3. TENNESSEE.

When you're picking inside the top-twenty, you don't draft a guy that isn't even going to help you THIS YEAR. Will Simmons come back from his injury in 2020 and be the same caliber of player that he was before? Stay tuned, and we'll find out.... -around 16 months from now. You know who they SHOULD have taken?? Noah Fant, that's who.... -y'know, the guy who went ONE pick later, to the Denver Broncos? A. J. Brown was a solid selection in the 2nd. Nate Davis could compete for a starting guard spot. Whatever. The common theme with all three of these teams, though, is what they did with their FIRST selection. These.... -are the picks where you get instant, impact starters. Guys who help you win games RIGHT NOW. Not reaches who will ride the bench for at least a year or two, guys who are injured and will give you nothing in the year you drafted them, or extreme projects that you reached for out of desperate need. These are selections that get guys fired.

Edited by Suffering_Bills
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

My problem was with the Arizona draft their lack of attention to Oline. I know there is still time in FA but seemed strange with last years performance. 

Would be interested in reading your thoughts beyond the first three.

Well, nobody can get everything, right? O-line needs gave way to BPA picks. If you're picking first in the draft, there's obviously a LOT of holes, so you have to start somewhere. I'll elaborate on only one other pick for the Cards: Hakeem Butler. Potential steal of the entire draft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ha, I had TEN having a top 5 draft. 

Good drafts; WAS, BUF, IND, NE, TEN, DEN, LAC, LAR

Overall, most teams drafted well. I'm low on NYG, HOU.

Yeah.  If you think you're going to fix your team with this year's draft, you're probably dreaming.  The 2019 draft will have a way bigger impact on the 2020 season than the 2019 one, and the 2018 draft will matter more this season than the 2019 draft.  You don't reach for talent because they might help you more immediately, you take the best player available to get the most talent on your team.  Plus the reports are that Simmons will probably play this year, so he'll be in the rotation the last few games when, if the Titans are similar to last year in terms of W/L, they'll need him the most for a playoff push.

The second, third, and fourth round selections were generally considered good value picks, and will help immediately.  Hard for me to see how it was a bad draft, unless you just really think Simmons isn't all he's hyped up to be.  Even then, they did well on day 2 and 3.

23 hours ago, mountainpd said:

My problem was with the Arizona draft their lack of attention to Oline. I know there is still time in FA but seemed strange with last years performance. 

That's why I gave Arizona a bad grade, and for also passing on Bosa or Williams 

On 4/28/2019 at 6:51 AM, Suffering_Bills said:

#3. TENNESSEE.

When you're picking inside the top-twenty, you don't draft a guy that isn't even going to help you THIS YEAR. Will Simmons come back from his injury in 2020 and be the same caliber of player that he was before? Stay tuned, and we'll find out.... -around 16 months from now. You know who they SHOULD have taken?? Noah Fant, that's who.... -y'know, the guy who went ONE pick later, to the Denver Broncos? A. J. Brown was a solid selection in the 2nd. Nate Davis could compete for a starting guard spot. Whatever. The common theme with all three of these teams, though, is what they did with their FIRST selection. These.... -are the picks where you get instant, impact starters. Guys who help you win games RIGHT NOW. Not reaches who will ride the bench for at least a year or two, guys who are injured and will give you nothing in the year you drafted them, or extreme projects that you reached for out of desperate need. These are selections that get guys fired.

Does your brain really think and function like this? You poor poor soul. I wish you the best, its gotta be hard for you.

When a top 5/10 talent slides to you, and is the best player on your board, AND still could potentially contribute, why would you pass on that?

Regardless, I'm sure from a Bills fan's perspective football ends in December, but if Tennessee can continue to build upon what we've done over the last 3 years, there's a chance we are making a playoff push. And if that's the case, he'll be around to help. If we are not, moot point. We effectively get two first rounders next year then.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:58 AM, mountainpd said:

This is clearly the year DJ Humphries to the leap from average injury-prone tackle to Walter Jones. xD

59 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Does your brain really think and function like this? You poor poor soul. I wish you the best, its gotta be hard for you.

When a top 5/10 talent slides to you, and is the best player on your board, AND still could potentially contribute, why would you pass on that?

Regardless, I'm sure from a Bills fan's perspective football ends in December, but if Tennessee can continue to build upon what we've done over the last 3 years, there's a chance we are making a playoff push. And if that's the case, he'll be around to help. If we are not, moot point. We effectively get two first rounders next year then.

I appreciate your pity, but it's not needed. Thank you anyways, sub-genius.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Well, at least you agree on 2 out of the 3. Titans having a top-5 draft?? Can't see it.

So, the first pick is probably a top 5 talent that may well play this year. If not, they've added a ridiculously destructive DL to their roster....what did they leave out there? Well, they could have gone for one of the top OLs, but....

with their 3rd pick they drafted probably their new starting RG. Mauler, wasn't really beaten at senior bowl, I think it's really good value here.

2nd pick was most people's best WR in draft

4th - Amani Hooker, a versatile piece that can play safety and nickel and can learn from Byard, subbing in when needed. Again, good value, most had him 2nd round

5th - D'Andre Walker - arguably their best pick. Great value here and fills their biggest need. Home run.

Yeah, it's a good one.