My top 3 best and worst drafts.

Suffering_Bills

I want to say the titans had a bottom 3 draft but i cant. First 2 picks were good value. Simmons character concerns to me sound overblown just bc it happened in HS and we didn’t heat from him since but the video didn’t help him(never does) 

Simmons is the type of player you can justify on letting fall bc the explosiveness in his game might not ever be the same but at the same time you really wish you dont have to play him twice a year if he comes back 100%

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Thanks for the praise @Suffering_Bills

At the end of the day, Oakland added four starters. No one else can say that in this draft. 

Ferrell is way better than people give him credit for. His tape is better than Sweat, Allen, Oliver, Gary, and Burns imho. Ferrells tape is spectacular. He gets hate cause of the combine and also not running the 40 or doing any explosion drills. People also don’t like him cause he’s not flashy. I think he’ll be an even better version of Brandon Graham, and that’s no knock on Graham. 

Jacobs is a three down back which Gruden wrote on his Christmas Wishlist. 

As for Washington, man what a draft. They get a Top 10 player in Sweat, Haskins probably starts Week 1, and I love Terry McLaurin and it also gives Haskins a familiar weapon. And Bryce Love will be the 2nd best RB in this draft if he returns to pre injury form. His vision and speed are unreal. 

Actually, the Cardinals can, but they added more like 6 starters than four.

Top 3 Drafts:

1. Redskins: Haskins is my favorite QB in the draft and being able to stand pat at 15 and get him was a bold move. Montez Sweat was an even better value as I had him as a top 10 and nearly top 5 player in the draft. They got two franchise changing players in the first round in my opinion. I also think they did a great job of addressing their biggest need by grabbing two WR's. While I don't think either will develop into a true #1 guy, McLaurin and Harmon are both going to be solid targets for Haskins. They set up their RB situation for next year when Peterson leaves nicely by taking Love. He'll be a great complement to Guice. They had some solid OL picks as well as some decent late round selections with upside. All in all I think the Redskins got great value throughout the draft and picked some guys with decent to high upside.

2. Patriots: As much as I hate to admit it, the Patriots knocked it out of the park with this draft. N'Keal Harry is going to thrive with Brady throwing him the ball. Joejuan Williams and Chase Winovich were two of my favorite day-two caliber guys and I think both will fit perfectly in the Patriots defense. They also got good value with picks like Harris, Cajuste, and Webster. Cajuste and Froholdt are two nice additions to the OL. Stidham I think was an interesting pick. He's a pretty boom/bust guy so only time will tell.

3. Titans: I kind of shuffled between a couple of teams for this spot before ultimately settling upon the Titans. It makes sense that Simmons fell a bit due to the injury and the off-field stuff but by this time next year I don't think either will be a concern and the Titans will just have a great player. AJ Brown was another steal by the Titans. Him and Corey Davis will provide a great tandem for Mariota. There should be little to no excuses left for Mariota in what is probably a make or break year for him. Amani Hooker and David Long were also huge steals for the Titans. Overall I just feel like the Titans got some of the highest value out of their few picks which lands them the third spot.

Others considered: Chargers, Broncos, Colts

Bottom 3 Drafts:

1. Texans: I am not a fan of Howard or Scharping, so their two selections at their biggest area of need already fall flat to me. Even despite my dislike of them as prospects I think that the Texans got horrible value, reaching on both. Lonnie Johnson was an ok at best pick. Johnson is a decent prospect but there were better corners available. Out of the rest of the Texans picks, the only one I liked was Charles Omenihu. He's a solid player that could become a contributor. Other than him I just don't think the Texans are going to get much production out of this draft.

2. New York Giants: The Giants got some decent players in this draft but their first round really tanked their spot in my rankings. The Giants got horrible value with every single pick in the first round. Daniel Jones could've easily been had at 17 and potentially even at the 30th pick that the Giants traded up for. The Giants front office got clowned by the Redskins, which is particularly embarrassing. Dexter Lawrence was another reach by New York. He should probably be a solid NT for them but they definitely could've gotten him later. The trade up for Deandre Baker was unnecessary as there were better CB options on the board and Baker probably would've been available at their next pick anyways. They grabbed some good players and got good value later in the draft with guys like Oshane Ximines, Julian Love, and Corey Ballentine but it just wasn't enough to make up for their abysmal first round.

3. Falcons: There is a big gap between my bottom two drafts and this next one. However, I still don't think the Falcons did a great job of getting value in this draft. I do like Lindstrom as a player but he was taken a bit early. The more egregious pick was Kaleb McGary. I think this pick was just about as bad as the Tytus Howard one. Not only was McGary a huge reach but they traded up for him as well. I have a hard time seeing him pan out as anything special. Their two fourth rounders were solid picks but then I don't see a single other selection of theirs ever really contributing.

Others considered: Chiefs

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 11:52 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

QBs of teams with good OLs usually are

i do feel like there were several options in round 2 for them to help out Kyler and DJ and while you cant fill all your needs, if the biggest concern about your new QB is his health despite no prior concerns in college, you need to protect him

He's never faced a real defense 

On 4/29/2019 at 12:30 PM, BayRaider said:

At the end of the day, Oakland added four starters. No one else can say that in this draft. 

In fairness, you also were the only team with 4 picks in the top 40 or whatever and finished with a bottom 5 record in the league. For a team as bad as the Raiders were, with that many picks that early, they should be adding 4 starters regardless of how well they actually draft. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, you also were the only team with 4 picks in the top 40 or whatever and finished with a bottom 5 record in the league. For a team as bad as the Raiders were, with that many picks that early, they should be adding 4 starters regardless of how well they actually draft. 

Exactly. When you have bad players all over the roster, it's easier to acquire immediate starters because it doesn't take much to start. Other teams could get the same players and they still would not start. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

True point but getting four starters is easier said than done and getting the right scheme fits as well. For example, everyone seems to think we should of taken Josh Allen who is the worst scheme fit possible. Allen is a a pure 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 scheme that uses a standing edge. Allen relies on his agility to get around his defender and is not a power player by any means. He would not set a physical edge for the run as a 4-3 DE and does not have power in his pass rush to consistently get off his blocker. Only 15% or so of our forum actually wanted him. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/30/2019 at 1:56 AM, NudeTayne said:

Cincinnati presumably got jumped by Pitt for Bush and then made a decent if unspectacular pick with the (reportedly going to play guard) Jonah Williams.

By what report is Jonah playing guard? The team sees him as a tackle, and that's where he'll likely play.

Then they get a TE in the 2nd who many expected to go late or undrafted.

Sample, who I agree was a round or two overdrafted, was never in any danger of going undrafted. Not sure what brought you to that far-off conclusion. 

Most everyone else seem like UDFA.  Not sure why they grabbed two RB unless Mixon is in trouble, but at least it was late.

We grabbed two RBs to compete for the 3rd RB spot. Williams can play right away and Rodney Anderson, who has huge upside, can redshirt his rookie year if need be.

EDIT: I just realized where the hate is coming from. Cleveland top 3 draft, rest of AFCN bottom 3. Alrighty then.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

By what report is Jonah playing guard? The team sees him as a tackle, and that's where he'll likely play.

Sample, who I agree was a round or two overdrafted, was never in any danger of going undrafted. Not sure what brought you to that far-off conclusion. 

We grabbed two RBs to compete for the 3rd RB spot. Williams can play right away and Rodney Anderson, who has huge upside, can redshirt his rookie year if need be.

tl;dr Cleveland top 3 draft, rest of AFCN bottom 3. Alrighty then.

Jonah Williams dying a hero's death:

7d91e00477ee93e64290691d0979e0af.jpg

Fair enough point about Drew Sample--pretty much guaranteed to go by round 7:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/tight-ends/

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php

Go ahead and put Rodney Anderson on the practice squad to redshirt--promise it'll be chill.

tl;dr Cleveland top 3 draft, rest of AFCN bottom 3. Alrighty then.

Edited by NudeTayne
Pitt 31 draft, Balt 32

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I had a 7th round grade on him. I was shocked he went in the 2nd round in such a deep TE class. I don't think that was a good pick at all.

Rodney Anderson was an absolute steal.

I thought the Browns draft was average. Amazing if you factor in landing OBJ, but I don't really consider that. Without it, we got some very solid players but I thought for the most part, we could have gotten better players. 

Pittsburgh had an awesome draft. Baltimore had a very good one. To me, Cincinnati's draft was pretty meh. I thought Jonah Williams was overrated. I'd have taken Haskins or Dillard. He's not terrible, but very meh to be spending a top 15 pick on. That being said, it is a massive upgrade over the hodge podge of poo that you had on the OL. The Drew Sample pick was gross. I liked Germaine Pratt and Renell Wren. Both will help add athleticism to a defense that needed a boost in that area. Then the rest of your draft was just kinda meh. Nothing that stood out to me. If anything, I thought some guys were slightly overdrafted late, but nothing outrageous or anything. Just average, right around where I'd place the Browns sans the OBJ trade.