Bostic released

3rivers

I'd assume Ryan Switzer gets the axe but it won't happen til sometime in Preseason.  I think Dirty Red could be in danger for his roster spot depending on if Ola and/or Keion Adams can make the jump.  I understand that Tyler is an Inside guy but I'm talking from a sheer #'s standpoint. 

• Like 1

To add to that, I think Jordan Berry is as good as gone regardless of who takes his place.  I also think Artie Burns could be a cut casualty, yep, I just said that.

With the receiver selection, as mentioned above, I feel like Switzer could be cut, BUT instead, it could be Eli Rogers because Switzer at least gives us another good return option.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'd assume Ryan Switzer gets the axe but it won't happen til sometime in Preseason.  I think Dirty Red could be in danger for his roster spot depending on if Ola and/or Keion Adams can make the jump.  I understand that Tyler is an Inside guy but I'm talking from a sheer #'s standpoint. 

I'd release Eli Rogers before Switz, but that's me.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:
6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'd release Eli Rogers before Switz, but that's me.

+1... Switz seems more versitle and less injury prone.  I have to believe that Switz was the Rogers replacement last year.  I cannot forsee Johnson getting PR reps if they really seem him as a Rd.1 WR.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Good point about the OLBs. The only thing holding Red on the team is his ST value. If Adams and/or Ola can show something there, they'll cut Red. So many of our backup linebackers aren't really going to play on defense next year. It doesn't really matter if their ILB or OLB. May as well keep some kids that may have some sort of potential. We all know Matakevich doesn't have any of that.

34 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Good point about the OLBs. The only thing holding Red on the team is his ST value. If Adams and/or Ola can show something there, they'll cut Red. So many of our backup linebackers aren't really going to play on defense next year. It doesn't really matter if their ILB or OLB. May as well keep some kids that may have some sort of potential. We all know Matakevich doesn't have any of that.

I could see ILB, OLB, and OL being the emphasis next season for sure.

49 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I could see ILB, OLB, and OL being the emphasis next season for sure.

I'd say TE over OL. That's just nitpicky me, though.I also, don't see the need for ILB at all anymore. We just infused a ton of talent there. It would have to be a catastrophic breakdown for us to need anymore.

• Like 1

Just curious why so many see it as Switz > Rogers. 

I like Switz, but so far I think why I like him is an illusion rather than anything actual. I do think Rogers is a better pure receiver, and if Johnson takes over in the return game it makes Switz fairly redundant. 

I like the IDEA of Switz, but there is nothing that I have actually seen on Sundays to this point that lead me to believe he is an explosion waiting to happen with the ball in his hands. So if he isnt going to be explosive and he isnt going to be the returner, I'd take the better receiver. 

Edited by Dcash4

Rogers had a foot injury rookie year (stashed on IR) that never flared up again and tore his ACL getting tackles. I dont call that being injury prone. I just call that bad luck. Gilbert was injury prone, Rogers has just gotten injured. 

Welker was a YAC machine, and thats the biggest reason I call Switz an illusion at this point because he has really lacked any sort of big plays by creating something out of nothing. Rogers is actually better than Switz in that department, albeit with limited numbers for both. 

Switzer also ranked 13th and 12th in PR and KR average, respectively. Thats very blah, and something I see Johnson taking over since he was drafted in the 3rd. 

I actually think there is a good chance they both make the roster, but I am just curious as to why so many people are jumping on the Switz train when he really hasn't been great at anything. My opinion of either isnt very strong, but off the cuff I think Rogers is the better player. 

• Like 1

I guess that I see Switz as way more of a multiple use guy at this point.  I think that they must have high hopes for him as he was aquired in the preseason last year and yet managed to get all the returner snaps, slot and even some as a running back.  There must be something the coaching staff likes, and maybe it is more potential at the point, but with a full season in the program, I cannot see him going down.

Now, Rogers is a better pure WR.  We knew that when he came out and was a UDFA.  HIs slot work is top-notch.  Side by side, Rogers kills Switz as a WR.  I just think that the Steelers like diversity, and Switz is more diverse.