Bostic released

3rivers

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Muncher is about as relevant as Vanilla Ice.

Artie Burns WILL NOT get a spo6 above Sutton, Layne, or anyone else for that matter.

I thought burns got into the doghouse last year, but then there were a few sightings on the field after that. I think it could have been since they had no other choice. This year, they are making sure they have choices and I agree with your view that burns won't be above anyone on the roster if he even makes it.  Does he have ANY trade value though? We know boswell doesn't , dupree doesn't, but burns price isn't that bad and he was " a former RD1 pick" xD

When it comes to who else might get released here's the thing and best case scenario I really believe Sutton Smith is a career special teams player. I think there's a real chance he probably lands on either special teams or the practice squad. I've also think Darwin gray plans on the practice squad I do not expect him to make the roster. I do not expect Zach Gentry to make the roster and I'm not even sure he's worth putting on the practice squad. Gilbert I definitely believe will make the roster he is really wrong he's going to need a lot of teaching before wherever they choose to play him but he can immediately help on special teams it has huge upside. When it comes to Isaiah Buggs I think there's a potential for him to make the roster as LT Walton replacement but I'm not sure he has a lot of upside. I know it's only happened twice but the whole Lowe's ceiling High floor draft picks out of Alabama's defensive line because of Karl Dunbar I kind of getting old

20 hours ago, 3rivers said:

after the season burns had last year, I doubt they will get anything for him. It's a split decision between burns and jarvis for the worst RD1 pick colbert has made.  Why waste a roster spot and risk the chance of him playing if you have someone else that's better? Did they try trading him during the draft? I never heard anything but if they do get a 6th consider it a steal

To be fair, Gilbert had showed literally nothing when we gave up a pick for him as well. Not saying we will get a pick, just saying it is a possibility someone will throw us a 6th to see if they can kick the tires on a former first round pick who has struggled with confidence.

I'm in the minority but I'm not ready to 100% give up on Burns just yet. Towards the end of 2017 he was showing signs of improvement but I just think he had a really bad start to the season last year and once he got benched there was no fixing his confidence. I bet people forget that he was Top 5(!!) in both CB yards per target allowed and CB yards per game allowed in 2017. Also we have asked him to play a ton of off man coverage which we know is not what he is best at.  

He has showed flashes of lockdown capabilities for short periods of time but then he just will get burnt badly twice in one game and start playing like crap. Again, I'm not trying to say Artie is a lockdown corner and should start for us this year, just saying I'm not ready to 100% give up yet and I don't think the coaches are either. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

18 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Artie Burns WILL NOT get a spo6 above Sutton, Layne, or anyone else for that matter.

why the hostility?

burns was a first round pick(tomlins guy) 

he was a starter

he finally got benched

they still said they believe in him

he knows the system

why do you think all these rookies and players behind him last year are all of a sudden going to pass him before anyone has a chance to prove themselves?

if the steelers were automatically going to give those spots to everyone else, why didnt they just cut him?

i think burns sucks, but as long as he isnt costing much, i am willing to let he compete in camp

2 hours ago, muncher said:

why the hostility?

burns was a first round pick(tomlins guy) 

he was a starter

he finally got benched

they still said they believe in him

he knows the system

why do you think all these rookies and players behind him last year are all of a sudden going to pass him before anyone has a chance to prove themselves?

if the steelers were automatically going to give those spots to everyone else, why didnt they just cut him?

i think burns sucks, but as long as he isnt costing much, i am willing to let he compete in camp

compete in camp, ok, make the team - better not. If they can't find a better alternative to burns, then rooney needs to find people that will. The FO needs to do their job and get better players rather than letting bad draft picks play out their deals.  They couldn't cut burns last year because they lacked CB's. This year could be different, wait and see as this will be covered by others here and I am sure labriola and co. will talk about it. We can all agree that burns hasn't played like a RD1 pick and last year he shouldn't have been on the field at all outside of ST. That is a regression, and coaching could be to blame for some that.  I still haven't figured out what burns was doing on that one TD vs the bungles - I could have covered better than that and lets just say I could lose a few poundsO.o

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, 3rivers said:

after the season burns had last year, I doubt they will get anything for him. It's a split decision between burns and jarvis for the worst RD1 pick colbert has made.  Why waste a roster spot and risk the chance of him playing if you have someone else that's better? Did they try trading him during the draft? I never heard anything but if they do get a 6th consider it a steal

Burns is easily the worst. At least JJ was expected to be taken in the first round.

Additionally, Burns was a knee-jerk reaction to Jackson being taken ahead of us. Colbert strayed from the BPA model and went to fill a need instead.

Burns is the poster child to the saying, "... I trust the GM to know more then the draftniks / fans / media-types.

Just go to any post on a team's forum where their team 'reached' for a prospect, and I guarantee you will see no less then 3 posts ascribing to that theory. Yet, we see it every year. I'm not saying those types are the only ones to bust, but they are definitely a higher percentage of the busts from the 1st round, especially. Day 3 picks?? Sure, not a problem. If a team takes the prospect that is graded out as being a seventh-round pick in the fourth round, is that a reach? Yeah, possibly, but it's not nearly as egregious as picking a third-round talent in the first round.

• Like 1

On 2019-04-30 at 7:48 PM, wwhickok said:

fast forward to 4:50, this play (and many others) are why I doubt he makes the team unless major injuries occur.  Some people here could have covered better on that play, it' that bad.

Edited by 3rivers

One tidbit on Main I don't know if anybody is checked out his college stats but in his final year in to me this is mind-blowing he had 72 tackles and 15 Pass Deflections. 72 tackles  for a corner is really good  it shows a willingness to be  in the play  inability to get to the ball-carrier  and he just not shy away from contact . He didnt have many Ints, 1 i think? Because he doesnt go for the Int, he goes for the breakup. I think this is a coaching issue imo. He is a former WR so he likely has at least half decent hands for getting ints. I suspect Layne will open the season as the #4 - #5 CB because he is the rookie. Hilton i expect though to get more time at Safety.

Sutton will initially be above Layne because of experience imo.

0 chance in hell Burns gets a spot above any of those guys.

They benched Burns for Sensabaugh and he also isnt on the roster anymore. Just sayin.

Edited by wwhickok

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

fast forward to 4:50, this play (and many others) are why I doubt he makes the team unless major injuries occur.  Some people here could have covered better on that play, it' that bad.

I wanted him cut immediately after that play. I think he was benched tho. 

Tackles are a terrible statistic to judge corners off of. Yes, a high tackle count can show that he was involved in the run game but it can also mean that they were picked on and gave up a lot of easy receptions. Not judging Layne either way, just pointing out that you have to watch the tape to know what kind of tackles he was racking up.

On Burns,

He reminds be a lot of Morris Claiborne. Super talented in man coverage and had a good first year under Rob Ryan playing mostly man. The next year after Ryan was gone and they switched to Tampa 2 D is when people started labeling him as a bust. He got an opportunity to move back towards a man coverage scheme and revived his career.

Scheme is really important to the cornerbacks. You’ve got to set them up for success. Don’t try and put a round peg into a square hole. That’s why versatile corners who can excel in both zone and man are so valuable. Remember what happened to Nnamdi Asomugha when he switched to the Eagles late in his career?

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

On Burns,

He reminds be a lot of Morris Claiborne. Super talented in man coverage and had a good first year under Rob Ryan playing mostly man. The next year after Ryan was gone and they switched to Tampa 2 D is when people started labeling him as a bust. He got an opportunity to move back towards a man coverage scheme and revived his career.

Scheme is really important to the cornerbacks. You’ve got to set them up for success. Don’t try and put a round peg into a square hole. That’s why versatile corners who can excel in both zone and man are so valuable. Remember what happened to Nnamdi Asomugha when he switched to the Eagles late in his career?

Ahhh the Crushed Dream Team. Simpler times...

• Like 2

There is nothing and I do mean nothing that anyone could say that would make me believe is that Artie Burns will ever or should ever play another defensive snap for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Yeah he will get a chance to compete in training camp but I don't think he survived the first round of cuts