Gerald McCoy released - Signs with Carolina

bucsfan333

11 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Have a feeling the organization and GMC kiss and make up.  At this point, they both need each. other.  Depth chart isn t great right.  GMC is nt getting 13 million from anyone else this yr.

interior dline minus GMC

Vea

Allen

Noches

Stevie T

Beckner

I m not even going to include any of the UDFAs

Yeah. It's a mess behind McCoy. We didn't do anything in the draft or free agency to replace him. Gotta think he stays now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah. It's a mess behind McCoy. We didn't do anything in the draft or free agency to replace him. Gotta think he stays now.

I m glad he s staying.  Will he be over paid for one year?  Yup, but this whole lack of cap space is a crock anyway.  

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

We're currently at $1.795M in cap space.

Cutting Ryan Smith frees up about $1.9M with some dead money.

Cutting Benenoch frees up about $1.9M with less dead money.

Cutting Gholston still frees up $3.75M with zero dead money.

Cutting Brice saves almost $1M with zero dead money.

Cutting Harris saves $700k with zero dead money.

That might get us enough to sign our draft picks. I have no idea what all these UDFA contracts counts as.

We could also cut Isaiah Johnson, Corey Nelson, Riley Bullough, Joe Callahan, Ellington, Bobo, and Liedtke and save $4.5M.

Cutting Stevie T and Auclair would free up about $1.2M with minimal dead money.

Cutting Evan Smith is a free $2M.

Cutting/trading McCoy is obviously a helluva lot easier than gutting the bottom of the roster. But there's a way to keep him and free up ~$16M.

Figured I'd move this to the relevant thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually get the Bucs and GMC sides in this stand off.  I m interested in the Cleveland factor to trade or not to trade.  If GMC eventually gets cut, he is free to sign anywhere.  Certainly Cleveland could outbid everyone and in most cases the highest bid wins.  Realistically, the offers will probably be pretty close, so do they risk losing out to a team like the Saints or Pats for GMC services?  

I still believe one way or another the GMC situation gets resolved right before the mandatory minicamp.

Just now, ravishingone said:

I actually get the Bucs and GMC sides in this stand off.  I m interested in the Cleveland factor to trade or not to trade.  If GMC eventually gets cut, he is free to sign anywhere.  Certainly Cleveland could outbid everyone and in most cases the highest bid wins.  Realistically, the offers will probably be pretty close, so do they risk losing out to a team like the Saints or Pats for GMC services?  

I still believe one way or another the GMC situation gets resolved right before the mandatory minicamp.

I wouldn't rule out the Colts. They barely spent any money in free agency and they've gotta be an appealing option as contenders.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I wouldn't rule out the Colts. They barely spent any money in free agency and they've gotta be an appealing option as contenders.

Sure, if a team doesn't trade for him, a team is just one of a possible 31 potentially vying for his services.  I thought there may have been a chance for a GMC reunion after the JPP injury, but nope this divorce is still imminent.  I do think the narrative that the Bucs are worried he 'll sign with another NFC South is just silly.  IMO, that s just a lazy narrative based not in reality.  I mean they could always just keep him because he is under contract for at least 2 more seasons.  Just silly.  😀

5 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Sure, if a team doesn't trade for him, a team is just one of a possible 31 potentially vying for his services.  I thought there may have been a chance for a GMC reunion after the JPP injury, but nope this divorce is still imminent.  I do think the narrative that the Bucs are worried he 'll sign with another NFC South is just silly.  IMO, that s just a lazy narrative based not in reality.  I mean they could always just keep him because he is under contract for at least 2 more seasons.  Just silly.  😀

Like I said before, if someone was gonna trade for him, I think it would've already happened. It's been a while since this whole mess started. And the draft has come and gone. Teams that have a hole McCoy could fill know it by now.

McCoy hitting free agency probably drops Suh's value too. I'd imagine he's looking for another payday, even if it's a one year deal. Once McCoy gets $7-9M, I'd imagine Suh settles for something in that ballpark too.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Like I said before, if someone was gonna trade for him, I think it would've already happened. It's been a while since this whole mess started. And the draft has come and gone. Teams that have a hole McCoy could fill know it by now.

McCoy hitting free agency probably drops Suh's value too. I'd imagine he's looking for another payday, even if it's a one year deal. Once McCoy gets $7-9M, I'd imagine Suh settles for something in that ballpark too.

Suh is interesting because I view him in the same light as Revis, always looking to maximize his value.  And I write this with respect and admiration.  Both were willing to play the negotiation game a little different then almost all other players.

Suh has now played for 3 different teams and has never played for less then 10 million in one season, I read.  That is a pretty incredible feat.  I wouldn t be shocked if to see Suh get the better deal in FA if GMC gets cut even though he has been in the market longer.  It would almost make sense for Suh to wait for the GMC situation to get settled before he signs at this point in the free agecy period.  Suh is a true mercinary whose allegiance is to his bottom line, and I have no issue with that at all.  He ll play his butt off between the white lines just like Revis.

I absolutely want Suh on this team when GMC is gone.