The Nation vs Mayock

drfrey13

We all like to say we wanted this player or a year from now that we were pounding the table for that player.  We are lucky and get to use a little hindsight in this exercise but try to limit it by only thinking of the pick at hand and not who you know is available later on.  I want to get everyone on the record right after the draft what they would have done.  A couple rules first.

1. Do not go and look who is available for our next pick if you are having a hard time deciding between players.

2. You can not draft a different player at say 24 and then say that Jacobs would have still been there at 27.  

3. No trades except the trades already executed by Mayock in the real draft so those are the spots you have to make the choices at.

4.  I know the draft would have had a different trajectory if we select different players but for this exercise we will assume that the player we switch out would have been selected within 5 spots of our original spot and therefore limiting the butterfly effect. 

This is a fun exercise and only try to post your picks with a small explanation.  This is so we can bring it back up around draft time next year and eat some humble pie or puff up our chest and tell everyone else we really are better than Mayock and Gruden.

I will submit my picks when I get home from work this afternoon.

RD(PK) PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1(4) Devin White ILB LSU
1(24) Montez Sweat DE Miss St
1(27) Greedy Williams CB LSU
2(8) Zach Allen DE Boston C
4(4) Anthony Nelson DE Iowa
4(27) Deionte Thompson FS Bama
4(35) Foster Moreau TE LSU
5(11) Mack Wilson LB Bama
7(16) Alex Barnes RB Kansas St

1. Had a hard time deciding between Allen and White but the safer choice was White who still has room to grow since he is still learning the LB position.

2. No brainer without a DE at 4.

3. Who needs to tackle if you do not let them catch it.  A lot of teams are going to regret passing on him.

4. Here is a Base end I like.  Quick enough for the pros and built like a tank.  No more Jet sweeps.

5. Would have gone TE but to much value here plus he mitigates some of the risk in taking Sweat.  This is what I consider edge depth.

6. He had been falling since the championship game but good value in the 4th.  He is not a Joseph clone and should compliment Joseph.

7. We need a TE an although I called this the night before sarcastically he is not much of a reach and could develop into a starting TE.

8. I would have called you crazy if you told me I could get him in the 5th.  A player that started dropping during the post season for no reason.  Some added speed and youth at LB.

9. I really like this guy here.  This is my short yardage and 4 minute offense back.  Completely underrated and he will show up next year as soon as he gets some carries.

Feel free to bring this up in the future and tell me how stupid I am if I am wrong but right now I think Mayock's draft is a C/C+ and this is an A.

Edited by drfrey13

34 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

RD(PK) PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1(4) Ed Oliver  DT Houston
1(27) N’Keal Harry WR Az St
2(8) Greedy Williams  CB LSU
4(4) Maxx Crosby DE  E Mich
4(27) Michael Jordan OG Ohio st
4(35) Ben Burr-Kirvin LB Washington 
5(11) Joe Jackson DE Miami
7(16) Myles Gaskin RB Washington 

I was pretty happy with our draft overall.  This is closer to what I would have done with who was on the board, but I feel Mayock did a solid job, especially in the later rounds.

Going to preface this by saying I think we did a good job, just was a different line of prospects in general than I looked into and liked. I think I would have ended up with the following:

[edit: Apparently the formatting from your OP isn't posting for me]
1 (4) Josh Allen, DE Kansas
1 (24) Josh Jacobs, RB Alabama
1 (27) Dalton Risner, OL Kansas State
2 (8) Nasir Adderley, S Delaware
4 (4) Anthony Nelson, DL Iowa
4 (27) Mack Wilson, LB Alabama
4 (35) Charles Omenihu, DL Texas
5 (11) Daylon Mack, NT Texas A&M
7 (16) TreVon Coney, LB Notre Dame

With Gerald Willis, DT Miami; Khalil Hodge, LB Buffalo; Alec Ingold, FB Wisconsin; Emanuel Hall, WR Missouri as my priority UDFA on speed dial

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

Pretty happy with the Ferrell pick and the draft as a whole but I’d probably do something like this  

1 (4) Ed Oliver, DL Houston
1 (24) Montez Sweat, DE Miss State 
1 (27) DeAndre Baker, CB Georgia
2 (8) Dalton Risner, OL Kansas State
4 (4) Anthony Nelson, DL Iowa
4 (27) Drue Tranquill, LB Notre Dame
4 (35) Marvell Tell, S USC
5 (11) Rodney Anderson, RB Oklahoma
7 (16) Stanley Morgan Jr, Nebraska

UDFA

Lester Cotton

Keelan Doss

Porter Gustin

Kyle Shurmur 

LJ Scott

Mitch Hyatt

Gary Johnson

Edited by CaliforniaKid7

I really, really do like the draft we ended up with. But just to put down what I personally would have done.

1. Devin White - I have Oliver as a blue chip prospect, but I dont know that he and Hurst could co-exist, and I'm not ready to give up on Hall. White is another one of the blue chip prospects. 

1. Montez Sweat - My number one ranked pass rusher, I could have taken him at 4 and been happy. He has the ability to be an elite defensive end. 

1. Greedy Williams - My number one ranked CB. I believe he has the potential to be an all pro caliber, lockdown, corner. We would be coming away with my number 1 ranked LB, Edge, and Corner. 

2. Miles Sanders - Another running back that hasnt been run into the ground in college. He's got power, speed, hes shifty. One of four backs in this draft I think can be at least a consistent starter. 

4. Austin Bryant - Edge is still a big need even after Sweat. A guy I think has potential to be a starter, but can also start off as a situational pass rusher. 

4. Isaiah Johnson - I'd keep this pick. I love his H/W/S and upside. 

4. Deionte Thompson - Definitely has some holes to his game, but I think his best football is still ahead of him. 

5. Mack Wilson - Back to the Alabama well. Has inconsistent tape, but a tom of episode here this late. 

Not sure where id go in the 7th. About to watch endgame lol. 

This is an interesting concept and something I hope we can look back on in future.

If I was on the clock this is what I would have done (probably :)😞

1.4 - Clelin Ferrell DE
1.24 - Montez Sweat DE (I would have taken him at 4 before the heart issue)
1.27 - DK Metcalf WR (might have picked Harry or Samuel here though honestly)
2.40 - Dalton Risner OT/OG
4.106 - Deionte Thompson S
4.129 - Blake Cashman LB
4.137 - Hunter Renfrow WR
5.149 - Andrew Van Ginkel LB
7.230 - Elijah Holyfield RB

Edited by Darbsk

• 4 weeks later...

As I put in my quick mock I wanted us to trade #4 and #24 to NYG for #6 and #17 and take Ferrell and Jacobs so I'm ecstatic with the first 2 picks.

RD(PK) PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1(4) Clelin Ferrell DE CU
1(24) Josh Jacobs RB ALA
1(27) Byron Murphy CB WAS
2(8) Jaylon Ferguson DE LT
4(4) Amani Hooker S IOWA
4(27) Mack Wilson LB ALA
4(35) Hunter Renfrow WR CU
5(11) Ulysees Gilbert LB Akron
7(16) Terronne Prescod OG NCST

I realize some of the guy's probably went later than where I would have picked them or even undrafted, but ultimately its how they perform which should determine the value of this mock draft.

Edited by raidr4life

On 4/28/2019 at 11:01 AM, drfrey13 said:

RD(PK) PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1(4) Devin White ILB LSU
1(27) Greedy Williams CB LSU
2(8) Zach Allen DE Boston C
4(4) Anthony Nelson DE Iowa
4(27) Deionte Thompson FS Bama
4(35) Foster Moreau TE LSU
5(11) Mack Wilson LB Bama
7(16) Alex Barnes RB Kansas St

I think I like yours better than mine but here is were I was drooling when on the clock.

4) DE/LB Josh Allen (Barr @LB floor, The FREAK Kearse at DE ceiling) hence drooling...

24) DE Montez Sweat  (Two 6'5 260lbers with athletic ability. I'm looking in the mirror and seeing Al's reflection LOL)

27) CB Greedy Williams (5th year option and at one time I wanted him at 4. I'd wait til 2nd in hindsight but if live it's what I would have done in a heart beat.)

2nd) WR DK Metcalf ( TO but without the drama learning from AB?!? sign me up and would have taken him 27 if not for Greedy)

4th) I might have went DE Bryant over Nelson but Thompson for sure. Moreau I didn't know til pick was made but liking TE there and like the blocking skills. Mack Wilson 100% and might have taken him above the TE in real time and a RB to finish the night.

Yep I like yours better. LOL

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, Rich7sena said:

This is what I would've done in real time.

1) Josh Allen

24) Josh Jacobs

27) DeAndre Baker

40) Anthony Nelson

106) Riley Ridley

I'm fine with the rest.

Everyone was way higher on ridley than me. I think he is good route runner but may have hard time finding amble separation in NFL. Speed doesnt bother me as much as his lack of real top ejd quickness.

Renfrow prob has more of an impact.

• 7 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:50 PM, G said:

I think I like yours better than mine but here is were I was drooling when on the clock.

4) DE/LB Josh Allen (Barr @LB floor, The FREAK Kearse at DE ceiling) hence drooling...

24) DE Montez Sweat  (Two 6'5 260lbers with athletic ability. I'm looking in the mirror and seeing Al's reflection LOL)

27) CB Greedy Williams (5th year option and at one time I wanted him at 4. I'd wait til 2nd in hindsight but if live it's what I would have done in a heart beat.)

2nd) WR DK Metcalf ( TO but without the drama learning from AB?!? sign me up and would have taken him 27 if not for Greedy)

4th) I might have went DE Bryant over Nelson but Thompson for sure. Moreau I didn't know til pick was made but liking TE there and like the blocking skills. Mack Wilson 100% and might have taken him above the TE in real time and a RB to finish the night.

Yep I like yours better. LOL

Might be fun to do this live during the draft. 

Allen was good but Sweat not so much. Basically the same we got with Crosby and Ferrell so MAYOCK WINS...

I didn't see Jacobs as worth a 1st...MAYOCK WINS...

Greedy looked really good early on but Mullen hasn't looked bad so a push.

I hit on DK Metcalf so a win for G as AB didn't work out

4th Mayock won because of Crosby. I went for bigger names while the 'Condor' was a small school stud find. 

Also got some UDFA players who made the team.

Still fun to obsess about but Mayock easily beat me.Looking forward to next draft with all the ammo and this years success gives me hope. :D