UDFAs?

Pandomonium

32 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree but the poster asked for 'constant starter'. He doesn't really fit the bill...

True. A little different with running backs and wide receivers with regards to "starters" in my view, but technically I would agree with you. 

Reading Barrows' info on the undrafted guys. Obviously, even for the biggest draftniks, a lot of these guys fall through the cracks. Personally, I don't know much about any of them. I know a little bit about Tyree Mayfield, because I looked up some info on him after we visited with him, and he's an appealing, possible Delanie Walker type to be groomed. But I wanted to go over some of the information that Barrows relayed for those who don't have a subscription. 

Ross Reynolds (OG, Iowa) and Brendan Moore (C, Maryland)

I grouped these guys together because both of them aren't going to make the roster, but honestly, I'm not so convinced that one of them can't knock Mags off the roster. Mags is on the last year of his deal (though he'll just be an RFA next year), and there's no indication that he's really all that good. He does offer some versatility, but if you're just looking at O-line #7/#8, it makes sense to try and stay as young and cheap as possible. 

Moore played all over the interior line at Maryland, though other than that, don't know much about him. Was a three year starter. Ross Reynolds was a guy that @struby3 was happy to sign. Obviously, Iowa teaches their guys how to block, so that's a plus. Another plus is that according to Barrows, some people view his NFL future at Center, which would mean he has the versatility across the interior line as well. Doesn't have a ton of experience regardless as he only started one year, but seems like a good fit for our scheme as well. 

Tyree Mayfield (TE, Wyoming)

Obviously, we hosted him on a visit, so we had interest. I think he's a lock for the PS if he doesn't completely ball out in the preseason, though I find that unlikely. As I said before, he's very Delanie Walker like, at least from a numbers stand point. Walker - 6'1", 240 pounds, 4.55 40, 36.5 Vert, 9'10" broad. Mayfield 6'2, 242, 4.59 - 4.67 40 time, 34.5 vert, 9'11 broad. According to Barrows, he's also a big special teams guy, which is important when guys like him try to make rosters. May take him a year or two to try and get things going, but he's one of the UDFAs who has a long term shot, in my opinion. 

Malik Henry (WR, West Georgia)

Honestly, had never heard of this guy, but apparently, he was one of our "crown jewels" of the UDFA class. He had less than 400 yards receiving last year, but we shelled out nearly 6 figures in guarantees to get him to sign here (which is a lot for a UDFA). Why? He runs in the high 4.3's / low 4.4s, 36 inch vert (kind of meh), nearly 11 foot broad. He's a bit of a stiff receiver (3 cone is kind of up there), but obviously that straight line speed could make him a very good deep threat. Barrows said the idea would be to put him at the X spot, so it's not far off to think that he's the guy that may one day replace Goodwin this year. 

Jamell Garcia-Williams (DE, UAB)

The dude is 6'7, 255. I think that kind of says it all. Oh, and he has 36 inch long arms. Not hard to see the appeal there. He only has one year of production in college, so that's never good, but again, he has features you can't teach. Definitely going to be a long while before he becomes anything, if at all. He also suffered a Jones fracture in his foot (never good) last year, so he seems ripe for one of those make believe IR placements if we don't want to stash him on the PS. 

Azeez Al-Shaair (LB, FAU)

A name to stash in your head. He tore his ACL last season, though he did run drills at the team's pro day, so that's a good sign, but unlikely to be on the field at any point this year. Still, the dude managed an invite to the combine, which is pretty impressive (means that the NFL teams felt that there was enough interest in him to be draftable even with the torn ACL), and he's a tackling machine. No idea on his athletic traits, obviously. 

Demetrius Flanagan-Fowled (S, Arizona) & Cameron Glenn (DB, Wake)

Putting these guys together because from the write ups, they appear to be in a similar boat as they are both slightly slower free safety types with questionable speed to cover the ground necessary to make it work at this level. DFF did manage 6 picks and 3 forced fumbles in his college career though, and there's something to be said for guys that can create turnovers. 

Kevin Givens, (DT, Penn St)

Seems to have had a draftable grade from a lot of people, but he's a tweener type stuck between 3t and 5t...which, let's be honest, is going to be a massive hill for him to climb. He's undersized and lacks some strength, and his overall size isn't ideal (barely 6'1). I think the idea for him would be to get him on the PS, work on his strength and see what develops a couple of years down the line potentially. 

Shawn Poindexter (WR, Arizona)

Huge dude at 6'5. Kind of feel like he's who we probably waived Dunbar for. He's actually not all that slow either (sub 4.6), which given his size, isn't all that awful. Only had one season of production for Arizona, but also played very well in the shrine game. We were noted as being a team that paid particular attention to him at his pro day. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Who is the last UDFA that has been a complete monster for our franchise? Someone that the 49ers picked up, and went on to have a stellar career? 

Joe Perry? lol. 

Really depends on your definition of "stellar" career. 

Jeff Garcia? A few pro bowls is nothing to sneeze at. Though he wasn't a traditional udfa given that we didn't sign him until after he put in a couple of seasons up in canada.  

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Joe Perry? lol. 

Really depends on your definition of "stellar" career. 

Jeff Garcia? A few pro bowls is nothing to sneeze at. Though he wasn't a traditional udfa given that we didn't sign him until after he put in a couple of seasons up in canada.  

Jeff Garcia fits the bill. A couple of Pro Bowls is fine. I think I may have asked this question not too long ago. Yet I can't think of any others.