So how many 2019 starters did we pick up this draft?

2019:

#15: Dwayne Haskins =No way he doesn't start week 1, imo.

#26: Montez Sweat =Same as Haskins

#76: Terry McLaurin =Special Teams starter for sure as a Gunner. But I can seem him getting significant time at wr as well. Specially with the chemistry he & Haskins already have.

#112: Bryce Love

#131: Wes Martin

#153: Ross Pierschbacher

173: Cole Holcomb

206. Kelvin Harmon =I see him becoming a huge part of our passing game. No idea if he's our #1 or #2, but wouldn't be surprised if he's our top performer by the time the season ends. 

227: Jimmy Moreland =Agree with Tai here. This dude is fast & a ball hawk & ST's stud as well. He may be smallish, but the dude is a play maker. Those type of players get on the field & stay on it.

253: Jordan Brailford

I count at least 5 starters from this draft. Some may take longer than others to get the full time nod, but will be there by the time the season is over.

Wasn't too sure on Wes & Ross. I would like to think that one of them starts at LG immediately, but I need to see them a bit more for a better assumption that 1 or both can help solidify our line.

Terry & Kelvin are gonna play!

Our WR situation was ranked 31st going into the draft. I think they were being nice to us...

It absolutely sucked! Would anybody here really be that shocked if McLaurin & Harmon we're our starters of #1 & #2 eventually?

Doctson has 1 yr to prove he's not a bust, if it's not too late already. It would be HUGE if he proved the doubters wrong.

We could potentially go from 31st ranked to top ten at WR if he can get his head out of his ***. QB play will help too.

Bryce Love will have to wait a yr, but could be a true steal if he heals up.

I think Jordan & Cole are backups at best.

I think Sweat will start Week 1.  I'm going to guess with Haskins lack of experience the earliest he'll start is by midseason.  I doubt the rookie WRs crack the starting lineup this year unless there are injuries in front of them on the depth chart.  Same with the interior lineman.  Bryce Love will probably be rehabbing most of the year.  

I think the majority of our class other than Sweat will provide depth this year.  But I can see Sweat, Haskins, McLaurin, one of the Olinem, and possibly Harmon all starting the following season.  

• Like 5

I think it’s important not to set your expectations unreasonably high, or else you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Like with Kelvin Harmon, I think it was a great value pick also. But unless he’s the greatest 6th round WR of this millennium, he’s just not likely going to take over as an immediate contributor. 

Since 2000, only two 6th round WRs have had more than 25 receptions in their rookie season: David Gettis (37) and Brandon Gibson (34). If your response is “who??” — that’s the correct response. They were both low-ceiling slot WRs who stepped onto teams with atrocious receiving corps and QB situations and put up some numbers because someone had to catch the few passes that were completed. 

While I do believe our incumbent receiving corps is poor (arguably one of the league’s worst), they aren’t that bad. And Harmon is not the sort of plug-n-play hitch/slant/screen guy who will get on the field because he’s immediately reliable in an easy job. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think it’s important not to set your expectations unreasonably high, or else you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Like with Kelvin Harmon, I think it was a great value pick also. But unless he’s the greatest 6th round WR of this millennium, he’s just not likely going to take over as an immediate contributor. 

Since 2000, only two 6th round WRs have had more than 25 receptions in their rookie season: David Gettis (37) and Brandon Gibson (34). If your response is “who??” — that’s the correct response. They were both low-ceiling slot WRs who stepped onto teams with atrocious receiving corps and QB situations and put up some numbers because someone had to catch the few passes that were completed. 

While I do believe our incumbent receiving corps is poor (arguably one of the league’s worst), they aren’t that bad. And Harmon is not the sort of plug-n-play hitch/slant/screen guy who will get on the field because he’s immediately reliable in an easy job. 

Thank you. 👍

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

2 OL that def could play or even start. A smart ILB from UNC I don’t think he starts this year though but I believe we hear his name a lot on specials!!

We have both Fosters - unless Mason is cut, but he is a coaches fav Vet - and we have SDH who is also a smart ILB who flashed in the pros last year and is fast. Then, we have JHC who is a fast dime/coverage ILB. I'm not sure the guy Holcolmb makes the team unless we cut Mason, which we may do still but I kinda think we won't bc he's still on the team and it's almost May.

Bottom line, I think Holcomb is a practice squad player.

Edited by turtle28

To answer the thread question, I mostly agree with @MKnight82 and @turtle28: Sweat will start pretty much right away as long as he’s healthy, and we’ll see about the rest. 

I think McLaurin will probably start some games next season, whether due to injury or due to him overtaking one of the top three on the depth chart. One way or the other, I expect him to get a fair portion of the snaps/targets as a rookie. I also think there’s a likelihood that either Martin or Pierschbacher gets some starts at LG (or C). 

As for Haskins, I’d love for him to sit the whole season. Or at least most of it. But knowing the Redskins and the position they’re currently in (with a coach on the hottest of seats and a fanbase revolt only momentarily quelled), I think that’s pretty farfetched, unfortunately.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, e16bball said:

Agreed, but fingers crossed he significantly contributes to our team in year two a la Antonio Brown and Pierre Garcon, both 6th round WRs.  Although, he won't have a HOF QB throwing to him like those two... or maybe he will B|.

Edited by HTTRG3Dynasty
  • Like 2

Holcombe will not be a practice squad player. He's fast. Name the one slow player on the Skins on defense that is slow? If you guessed Mason Foster you are right. He is as good as gone. 4 ILB'S: Reuben, Hamilton, Clemmons, and Holcombe. I think we can bank on that one. Bye, Bye Mason aka: the Shawn Luvao of the defense 

26 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

Holcombe will not be a practice squad player. He's fast. Name the one slow player on the Skins on defense that is slow? If you guessed Mason Foster you are right. He is as good as gone. 4 ILB'S: Reuben, Hamilton, Clemmons, and Holcombe. I think we can bank on that one. Bye, Bye Mason aka: the Shawn Luvao of the defense 

Yeah, we drafted guys with some speed.