What I would've done

Magnus-Viktor

Given how the draft fell, this is what I would've done.  A trade up when Greedy fell to the mid 2nd would've been tempting if not for DK Metcalf also being available.

1.  Montez Sweat, OLB, Mississippi State - too much potential to pass up here & frees up cap space by allowing you to cut Dupree next year.  Greedy Williams was tempting here, but I like a few mid round CBs more than I like the other OLBs.

2.  DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss - same as with sweat (Juan Thornhill was temping here)

3.  Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State - athletic linebacker, without giving up so many picks

3.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida - a S/CB that can cover in the slot as well.  Very dynamic athlete with lots of quick twitch. (Dawson Knox, Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin were tempting)

4.  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston - my favorite CB prospect in the draft.  raw, but checks every box unlike everyone else who lacks size or athleticism

5.  Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama - getting another coverage linebacker here

6.  Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn - he checks all the boxes as a nickel corner or to match up against smaller, shiftier WRs.  Sutton Smith was a bit tempting.

6.  Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma - an athletic RB that is injury prone, but as a situational/rotational guy that's not as bad

6.  Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon - another developmental prospect here.  I think he has the quickness and length to develop into a good one

7.  Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia - If they want a 4.9 TE, might as well go with this guy.  I liked him when I saw him play.  

UDFA:  Emmanuel Hall, WR, Mizzou - I can't believe he went undrafted.  He's basically Mike Wallace 2.0

UDFA:  Drew Lewis, LB, Colorado - Undersized but very athletic LB that ran a 4.52 at his pro day. He flashed with big play ability. 

UDFA:  Chris Johnson, S, Northern Alabama - a small school safety with a high ceiling. 6'3" 200, 4.40 speed

UDFA: Beau Benzschawel, OL, Wisconsin - depth that needs more strength

UDFA:  Brandon Knight, OL, Indiana - same as Beua

UDFA:  David Sills V, WR, West Virginia - red zone jump ball target

UDFA:  Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State - athletic QB that could develop into a 3rd stringer

UDFA:  Chase Hansen, S/LB, Utah - a tweener for subpackages

UDFA:  Evan Worthington, S/LB, Colorado - he really impressed me at times with flashes.

UDFA:  Elijah Holyfield, RB, Georgia - a very violent runner for the tough yards

UDFA:  Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech - a long, lanky WR that absolutely dominated the only Tech game I watched live

UDFA:  Gerald Willis, DT, Miami - good DL coach can get him to play to his strengths

UDFA:  Mitch Hyatt, OG, Clemson - depth

• Like 1

I would have made the trade with the Broncos and drafted the following:

1. Devin Bush ILB Michigan

3a. Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State

3b. Justin Layne CB Michigan State

4. Foster Moreau TE LSU 

5. Marvell Tell III S USC

6a. Mike Weber RB Ohio State

6b. Isaiah Buggs DT Alabama

6c. Cole Tracy K LSU

7. Jamal Davis, Edge, Akron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 95lloyd said:

Yeah it is much easier drafting in hindsight.  Did you take Pratt above Mack because you had him rated higher or because you knew Mack would be available in the 5th unlike the rest of the world knew?

I took them as late as I could get them.  Mack was a throw-in.  I almost didn't take him there either to be honest.  I thought about Vosean Joseph, the Penn State corner instead, Matt Gay, Ben Burr-Kirven, and Darius Slayton as well.  

Teams typically pass on guys that much for a reason (that we don't typically know about).  Mack Wilson doesn't impress me much, and Pratt was taller, faster, just as heavy, and as a former S he should cover better.  That was my thought process.  Getting a coverage guy at ILB with more range and speed.  

As far as total hindsite, these were guys I liked prior to the draft, and this just shuffles around the draft order.  I still don't know if I'm OTC if I could pass on Greedy Williams though.  That would be tough.  But supply and demand.  No more elite OLB prospects after Sweat, but there were a few CBs with the same or better potential than Greedy.  

3 hours ago, DR43 said:

I would have made the trade with the Broncos and drafted the following:

1. Devin Bush ILB Michigan

3a. Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State

3b. Justin Layne CB Michigan State

4. Foster Moreau TE LSU 

5. Marvell Tell III S USC

6a. Mike Weber RB Ohio State

6b. Isaiah Buggs DT Alabama

6c. Cole Tracy K LSU

7. Jamal Davis, Edge, Akron

This would be quite a haul. But I like my guys just fine. 

2 hours ago, Craigjo21 said:

No trade 

1 Darnell Savage S

2 JJ Whiteside WR 

3 Chase  Winovich Edge

3 Justin Layne CB 

4 Diontae Johnson WR

5 Kingsley Keke DE 

6 Sutton Smith Edge 

6 Uylesee Gilbert LB

6 Mike Weber RB 

7 Caleb Wilson TE

do you think Smith will get some snaps in pass rushing situations later in the season? 

There is a couple things personally I would have done. First and foremost I would have traded up using late picks to get Foster Moreau instead of a tight end we took. I would have used some draft picks probably to move up to get a different Corner rather than Justin Lane but then again we might not have gotten Deonte Johnson as a result. With those moves I probably would have been sacrificing bugs Sutton Smith and gray. If all three of those guys turn out to be bussed I guess it wouldn't have mattered but if any of those guys to not to be decent players it would have made me look like the fool

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

do you think Smith will get some snaps in pass rushing situations later in the season? 

I don't think Sutton is going to ever be an edge rusher. He's tiny and got routinely handled at the Senior Bowl. There is no chance he rushes off the edge consistently in the NFL. He'll be a hybrid safety/off-ball LB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think Sutton is going to ever be an edge rusher. He's tiny and got routinely handled at the Senior Bowl. There is no chance he rushes off the edge consistently in the NFL. He'll be a hybrid safety/off-ball LB. 

Sounds like someone else that the Steelers drafted ...