Now what....

soflbillsfan

Now that the draft is over and the bills stayed pat at their positions in the draft they are now around 23 mil in cap space once the draft class signs. Who is likely cut? Ducasse and bodine have to be on the chopping block after acquiring 7 olineman this offseason plus Teller and Dawkins I can see that those 2 will be gone clearing $4 mil. After the Singletary pick I thought for sure Shady was gone but after thinking about it, it doesnt make sense to let him go stick with the 4 Rbs, maybe 5 with murphy and head in to the season with that. Gore and Shady will be gone next year and both Yeldon and Singletary will get some great learning experience by 2 future HoF Rbs. I still think pass rusher is a need and with that money I could see them offering Ansah a 1 year prove it deal or make a splash by trading for someone. Outside of Pass rusher what else needs to be addressed?

Ansah makes sense. Clowney maybe if the asking price (assuming a 1st) comes down. 

Since we can bring 90 to camp I wonder if Ducasse and Bodine stick around for a little while. We currently have 5 guards, 3 centers and 6 tackles on the roster. Perfect numbers to run 3 groups during camp.

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Ansah makes sense. Clowney maybe if the asking price (assuming a 1st) comes down. 

Since we can bring 90 to camp I wonder if Ducasse and Bodine stick around for a little while. We currently have 5 guards, 3 centers and 6 tackles on the roster. Perfect numbers to run 3 groups during camp.

This defense with Clowney

MV5BOTQ2N2I5MDgtODA0NC00M2NmLWIyNzAtNjNl

Beane said this morning they are still in talks with Ansah but seem not comfortable signing him just yet. 

As for clowney would people be made giving up 2020 1st round pick for him now? I think the team is set and would put them in playoff contention by adding clowney now. That means texans would be getting a pick in the 20s if it worked out in bills favor, which is what the chiefs got for Clarke.

40 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Beane said this morning they are still in talks with Ansah but seem not comfortable signing him just yet. 

As for clowney would people be made giving up 2020 1st round pick for him now? I think the team is set and would put them in playoff contention by adding clowney now. That means texans would be getting a pick in the 20s if it worked out in bills favor, which is what the chiefs got for Clarke.

Here's the wording of what Beane said. 

As for Clowney, I'm still on the fence. I don't think he's worth a first. He's not Khalil Mack. If we could do a 2020 2nd + a player, I'd be on board for sure. What scares me is the massive contract we'd have to give him right away. With his injury history, I'm hesitant to do that. Plus, with how loaded next years class is at WR, arguably our biggest need, we could use that 1st.

The thought of having a DL of Shaq/Jerry - Oliver - Star - Clowney is pretty damn exciting though. 

59 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

A first seems a little rich for him but I trust Beane so if he did it I likely wouldn't complain. That would leave us very thin next year with just 5 picks though.

I agree with what Nick said, if we could find a way to give them a 2nd and a player (Teller, or even Dawkins tbh) would makes sense. 

I dont get the whole WR thing. They had an opportunity to land any of those wrs outside of Harry in the 2nd rd, and they didnt even draft one which to me seems like they are happy with the players they have. As I have stated before you do not need to have a #1 Wr to win a championship getting a group of consistent wr around is what matters. Yes the highlight reel is cool to watch with Julio or OBJ but honestly its not worth preventing you from getting a stud pass rusher which is a bigger impact then a stud wr is.

Sacks need to be more often, especially when mcdermott doesnt blitz as much, having the front 4 impact the passer is a huge need and between the 3 DE they only had 15 sacks which there are several players in the league who get that by themselves. Lawson and Murphy are mere rotational guys at best and neither should be starting at this point. 

As for paying clowney the bills have a ton of space and they are losing minimal starter next year of importance. With $27+ mil (after ducasse and bodine are cut) in cap space you can pay him 20 mil this year and bills have 70+ mil next offseason before this move so they would likely be at 50+  mil next offseason after paying clowney. So the money isnt a factor as they have plenty of space to invest in someone like clowney. 

Hughes, Shady, Gore, Lawson, Lorenzo (retiring), Jordan Phillips and haushka are free agents next year. Spain Waddle and Ej Gaines signed 1 year deals who can all be back if they are worth it. So realistically depending on how the oline lines up your losing a LG, on def your losing Hughes and shaq projected starters this year, kicker, and SLB. Your telling me you cant fill those holes with 50+ mil? 

To me if the deal was available i say take it and you will have upgraded your defense who is coming off a year that ranks them in 2nd against the run 1st against the pass. It will then fix the greatest weakness on the defense which ranked 26th in the league with sacks.