Jets select TE Trevon Wesco in round 4

jetskid007

6 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't mind it after they talked about him and how people wanted him pretty bad. They said he is the best all around TE in the draft that can catch, block, and run. 

Hockenson is definitely the best all around TE in the draft by a large margin.  But this kid is pretty damn good.  Good hands and moves better than his 40 time would make you think.  And as a blocker he straight up murders people.  He doesn't so much try to wall off and redirect defenders as he does tries to pancake them.  

I also didn’t understand the pick, but I hope Baldy is right and I respect his opinion. I would feel a lot better about the offseason had we signed Paradis. That would have been the glue the line needed to maybe be slightly above average. Hope the USC kid develops into a solid starter...I think saying LT is a pipe dream but a solid RT is absolutely the plan especially when Shell is going to be 28 already when his roomie contract is up. 

Am I thrilled about this draft...no and it seems like we just do things contrary to the successful teams in the league. That being said, I do also think this was probably Macs best draft top to bottom. I just think he’s had too many tries and he could have been better in this one. We have a new coaching staff and it already feels like this thing is going to completely explode. Finally the Giants are dominating the backpages with complete ineptitude and the Jets are behind the scenes a spark away from explosion. I was completely starting feel optimistic going into this draft after the offseason even with some holes. After the reports at the draft, the good feeling is starting dwindle. I hope we get it together one day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I also didn’t understand the pick, but I hope Baldy is right and I respect his opinion. I would feel a lot better about the offseason had we signed Paradis. That would have been the glue the line needed to maybe be slightly above average. Hope the USC kid develops into a solid starter...I think saying LT is a pipe dream but a solid RT is absolutely the plan especially when Shell is going to be 28 already when his roomie contract is up. 

Am I thrilled about this draft...no and it seems like we just do things contrary to the successful teams in the league. That being said, I do also think this was probably Macs best draft top to bottom. I just think he’s had too many tries and he could have been better in this one. We have a new coaching staff and it already feels like this thing is going to completely explode. Finally the Giants are dominating the backpages with complete ineptitude and the Jets are behind the scenes a spark away from explosion. I was completely starting feel optimistic going into this draft after the offseason even with some holes. After the reports at the draft, the good feeling is starting dwindle. I hope we get it together one day. 

I'm confused about this. You felt it was Macc's best draft, but you think the organization is on the verge of explosion?

I think it's become clear that while there was a rift, the reports of dysfunction were severely overblown. Gase is always going to be Gase, and those who know him say he's going to be a pain in the *** to team execs because he feels like he's the smartest guy in the room, knows he's the smartest guy in the room, and is willing to cross the line for power. I'm totally fine with that. Having two guys like that, then yes, there's a clash (see Harbaugh, Baalke). Maccagnan is not nearly as aggressive to a fault, so I think the two of them can find a happy medium - or the Jets will just give Gase more power/promote from within if Maccagnan can't work with Adam. 

As far as the draft, I'm so-so on it. My two favorite picks were Edoga and Wesco. I think Edoga will be a valuable piece. You don't find many big men with the kind of skills he has, and he's extremely intelligent. He's made some poor decisions, but this is the type of player that Gase will connect with; Edoga is almost like Jay Cutler, where he has a sense of arrogance about him - a me against the world, "I don't care" attitude. Edoga's is likely more do to his past (his father was murdered in front of him when they lived in Africa, no other details available). It sounds like he and Pollack also had a good bond/meeting of the minds, so I feel really good about them two working together. It won't surprise me if he wins a starting job somewhere on the line this year and becomes a long-term fixture, whether it be as a LT/RT or RG. Wesco is like Enunwa as a tight end. He's the type of guy that players will rally behind, and he has more potential than we saw in college. I honestly believe he and Herndon can develop into one of the best TE tandems in the NFL. 

Obviously am extremely comfortable with Quinnen Williams, but it would've been nice to move down. I remain indifferent on Polite. I saw the pass rush talent on tape but hoping he comes in, buys in, and works hard on Monday-Friday. We know he gives effort on game days, but he needs to be better at developing his game when no one is watching (studying film, perfecting his craft, keeping himself in shape, etc.). I don't feel one way or the other with the Blake Cashman or Blessuan Austin picks, but I realize that at this late in the draft, you're looking for specific "types" of players - and Cashman is a Gregg Williams player through and through. He's an athletic WLB with special teams chops, which I think isn't a coincidence; he's likely penciled in as Darron Lee's eventual replacement. 

Overall I'd give the draft a B. Quinnen is an A+ player regardless of position, but an A grade because I would've preferred trading down. Jachai Polite is a C+ for me, but hope I'm wrong. Chuma and Wesco get an A and A-. Blake Cashman and Blessuan get C grades (I would've preferred two of David Edwards/D'andre Walker/Kelvin Harmon/Isaiah Prince). 

32 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm confused about this. You felt it was Macc's best draft, but you think the organization is on the verge of explosion?

I think it's become clear that while there was a rift, the reports of dysfunction were severely overblown. Gase is always going to be Gase, and those who know him say he's going to be a pain in the *** to team execs because he feels like he's the smartest guy in the room, knows he's the smartest guy in the room, and is willing to cross the line for power. I'm totally fine with that. Having two guys like that, then yes, there's a clash (see Harbaugh, Baalke). Maccagnan is not nearly as aggressive to a fault, so I think the two of them can find a happy medium - or the Jets will just give Gase more power/promote from within if Maccagnan can't work with Adam. 

As far as the draft, I'm so-so on it. My two favorite picks were Edoga and Wesco. I think Edoga will be a valuable piece. You don't find many big men with the kind of skills he has, and he's extremely intelligent. He's made some poor decisions, but this is the type of player that Gase will connect with; Edoga is almost like Jay Cutler, where he has a sense of arrogance about him - a me against the world, "I don't care" attitude. Edoga's is likely more do to his past (his father was murdered in front of him when they lived in Africa, no other details available). It sounds like he and Pollack also had a good bond/meeting of the minds, so I feel really good about them two working together. It won't surprise me if he wins a starting job somewhere on the line this year and becomes a long-term fixture, whether it be as a LT/RT or RG. Wesco is like Enunwa as a tight end. He's the type of guy that players will rally behind, and he has more potential than we saw in college. I honestly believe he and Herndon can develop into one of the best TE tandems in the NFL. 

Obviously am extremely comfortable with Quinnen Williams, but it would've been nice to move down. I remain indifferent on Polite. I saw the pass rush talent on tape but hoping he comes in, buys in, and works hard on Monday-Friday. We know he gives effort on game days, but he needs to be better at developing his game when no one is watching (studying film, perfecting his craft, keeping himself in shape, etc.). I don't feel one way or the other with the Blake Cashman or Blessuan Austin picks, but I realize that at this late in the draft, you're looking for specific "types" of players - and Cashman is a Gregg Williams player through and through. He's an athletic WLB with special teams chops, which I think isn't a coincidence; he's likely penciled in as Darron Lee's eventual replacement. 

Overall I'd give the draft a B. Quinnen is an A+ player regardless of position, but an A grade because I would've preferred trading down. Jachai Polite is a C+ for me, but hope I'm wrong. Chuma and Wesco get an A and A-. Blake Cashman and Blessuan get C grades (I would've preferred two of David Edwards/D'andre Walker/Kelvin Harmon/Isaiah Prince). 

I think it was Macs best draft in terms of guys that will likely make and impact and I still am also like you, so-so in the drafts I say we on verge of explosion because the reports coming out were awful and to see a GM by himself in a war room is a horrible look. Obviously huge hot take here but I dont feel as optimistic as I did a few weeks ago. 

I'm with ekill on this. If little mac has lost his scouting department or the owners trust then I definitely don't feel as confident as I did a few weeks ago.

Agree on this being his best draft top to bottom. But I still dont think it was very good. I guess well see what happens. I didnt hate this pick but if hes truly an elite blocking talent then itll make sense for Leveon. I fear we do a lot of two tight end sets which usually leads to a more conservative offense. Of course, it could be just the opposite, but I guess well see what Gase likes to run as the season progresses.

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I think it was Macs best draft in terms of guys that will likely make and impact and I still am also like you, so-so in the drafts I say we on verge of explosion because the reports coming out were awful and to see a GM by himself in a war room is a horrible look. Obviously huge hot take here but I dont feel as optimistic as I did a few weeks ago. 

Apparently Gase did the same thing in Miami. No draft pressers, no phone calls. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Apparently Gase did the same thing in Miami. No draft pressers, no phone calls. 

Which is fine, but did the GM draft in a room designed for a team, all alone? Something just seems very odd here. Why the Jets can't just seem to operate like a well oiled machine is beyond me. I have never felt as confident about our QB as I do now, but I few the absolute contrary to everything else inside the organization. 

I think the biggest issue that continues to both me is the eagerness of involvement by the owner. Owners being hands on in making coaching decisions and who the coaches they want to hire should hire. This coming from the owners that needed Charlie Casserly's advice on who they should hire as a GM. We will see how this plays out, but something at 1 Jets Drive needs to start changing and being way more conventional or this team will continue to be a failure. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

IMO this guy is getting overhyped already. I hope I'm wrong... but I see nothing special about him.

I trust Baldinger’s opinion over most. If I had to guess, he’s a blocking TE who likely puts up 200-300 yards per year, a few TD’s,  and serves as an FB in short yardage situations. If we get that out of him, he’s fine for a 4th round pick. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I trust Baldinger’s opinion over most. If I had to guess, he’s a blocking TE who likely puts up 200-300 yards per year, a few TD’s,  and serves as an FB in short yardage situations. If we get that out of him, he’s fine for a 4th round pick. 

If that's what he does that's fine. But baby Gronk is quite a darn comparison. That's why I say overhyped.

• Like 2