Jets select TE Trevon Wesco in round 4

jetskid007

I didn't like this pick at first because I didn't know much about Wesco and couldn't see the reason for taking a TE so early, but after watching him man he is a MEAN run blocker. He's a road grader and will finally give us that blocking tight end we've so badly wanted.

6 hours ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Every podcast I listen to draft guys love this pick.

What's not to love.  Guy was arguably the best run blocking TE and caught everything thrown his way when finally targeted his senior season.  Our TE duo is going to be special.  No not good, special.

• Like 3

It's quite telling when a coach who never utilizes TEs says his TE is the best player on the entire team. I don't think Wesco will be a top-notch pass catcher, but I do think he can be an Anthony Fasano-like player, possibly better. I'd say his ceiling is Chris Cooley, floor is Rhett Ellison. 

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It's quite telling when a coach who never utilizes TEs says his TE is the best player on the entire team. I don't think Wesco will be a top-notch pass catcher, but I do think he can be an Anthony Fasano-like player, possibly better. I'd say his ceiling is Chris Cooley, floor is Rhett Ellison. 

I agree. It is kinda odd they praised him but didn’t use him. I assume he might be just a really good guy and did whatever the coaches asked him to do. And that’s why they are high on him. Otherwise the WVU staff needs to get fired if they praise him the way they did and barely used him.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. It is kinda odd they praised him but didn’t use him. I assume he might be just a really good guy and did whatever the coaches asked him to do. And that’s why they are high on him. Otherwise the WVU staff needs to get fired if they praise him the way they did and barely used him.

I meant it in a good way. Holgorsen obviously knows talent, but he's totally dedicated to his scheme. He utilized him as a blocker, but clearly sees a player who can be an in-line tight end; they just don't use those types of players in his version of the air raid. 

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I meant it in a good way. Holgorsen obviously knows talent, but he's totally dedicated to his scheme. He utilized him as a blocker, but clearly sees a player who can be an in-line tight end; they just don't use those types of players in his version of the air raid. 

I agree with that. But still something doesn’t add up. They either big time didn’t utilize him or he actually isn’t as good as they’re praising him.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with that. But still something doesn’t add up. They either big time didn’t utilize him or he actually isn’t as good as they’re praising him.

That’s when your evaluation comes in. Never rely on someone else’s opinion. 

What I see: a sneaky athlete who is more brawn than a finesse. We know he’s a terrific blocker, so I’ll leave that be. As a pass catcher: has really good potential to be a reliable hands catcher. Doesn’t body balls often and is capable of  plucking the ball out of the air. Small sample size, but also made a sick 1 handed catch reminiscent of Herndon’s this past season. His route running is raw from what we know, but you saw a player who understood coverages and sought to find holes in coverage, which is important for a guy who isn’t that fast. Kind of like a the old version of Jason Witten does. His biggest strength is his ability to make yards after the catch. Constantly breaking tackles and dragging defenders for extra yardage. Most important quality: he plays with a lot of balance - arguably the most crucial trait in offensive football. 

For me, I think the Jets found a diamond in the rough. Reserving judgment on Polite, Cashman, and Austin, but feel really good about Edoga, Wesco as reliable role players with starting potential.

• Like 1