2020 Needs and Free Agent List

ChaRisMa

On 5/7/2019 at 2:17 PM, CWood21 said:

Assuming he's healthy and productive (which is a big assumption), he's going to get a good sized contract.  Not Trent Brown big, but he'd still easily get $8M+ on the FA market IMO.  That would possibly get a 4th round pick if he were to walk as a FA.  Now if he gets a smaller contract than we're looking at a worse pick, but if he's healthy and productive he's going to get paid.  Preferably by someone else.

If Russel Brokung can get a decent LT contract, Bulaga can get a halfway decent RT deal somewhere 

Seems clear to me that Bulaga will get a pretty lucrative deal from someone. Question is will it be us, or another team.  But the man is going to get paid.  It's not like we just had a stellar draft class of OTs restocking the league.  If anything teams will be desperate for guys that can fend off some of those defensive stars that will be entering their second years. 

2 hours ago, British said:

Seems clear to me that Bulaga will get a pretty lucrative deal from someone. Question is will it be us, or another team.  But the man is going to get paid.  It's not like we just had a stellar draft class of OTs restocking the league.  If anything teams will be desperate for guys that can fend off some of those defensive stars that will be entering their second years. 

If he plays close to 16 games, I could agree with this. His injury history, more to the point, serious injury history makes me question how much he has left in the tank. I think this will come down to, for us, letting him walk a year too soon rather than a year too late. 

I don't see us paying him next year to be honest. 

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I feel like I'm the only person on here who would be happy to see Bulaga extended this year.

Happy isn't what I would call myself, but I am open to the idea.  Let the season play out.  There are too many variables right now for anyone to take a hard stance on that position (I know, that is what this thread is about). Does Bulaga play well, and all season? What does Spriggs look like? Is Turner able to play RT? Does Gerhard de Beer do ALL THE STEROIDS and take over the job? Where will we be picking in the draft, and what does the incoming tackle class look like?

Right now, my preference would be Spriggs puts it all together this season and we extend him for about 4 years.  He is probably cheaper than Bulaga, and we don't use any additional draft capital to obtain him.  If Bulaga is healthy and still playing well, I have zero hesitation with bringing him back.