2020 Needs and Free Agent List

ChaRisMa

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

As @Packerraymond pointed out, I was wrong. We have 13 Mil in cap space at the moment. I had read 1.3 Mil. So 37 Mil in cap space at the moment.

Indeed, I didn't put Clark or RFA/ERFA on that list because it's a given.

We actually have about 9 Million after you account for the rookie class. 

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Let's just say we have 30 Million to spend for now and worry about it after the season.

Fair. Here's an article that explains the situation if anyone is interested. 

GB Salary Cap Space

We'll have $360,000 less because we selected Savage at #21 instead of 30. 

$215,000 "recouped" because we didn't select any players in the 4th. 

So far all intents and purposes, ~$150,000 more  in '19 cap hit devoted to the rookies than we originally anticipated. 

Therefore, 9 Million is probably the best number to work with. 

2 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Proving once again that no man is an island. 

Begging the question can we afjord him!

We want alpha males, not deltas. 

Isthmus be the year he earns his spot!

I see what you did there.

Very well done- Bravo!  

Edited by Dubz41

From my calcs, we'll have about $19.4m-32.1m to play with in 2020 (high number includes cutting Graham and Taylor)

(this assumes $8.9m rollover, $199.2m cap in 2020, includes 2019 & 2020 rookie classes w/ 2020 being in slot #32, $8m for Clark's 5th season)

----------

Of the UFA expirings, the main one I would re-sign is Martinez. Plus Crosby, unless they have another plan in place for kicker. 

Daniels and Bulaga: Not likely. Over 30. Bulaga injuries. DL depth can fill in for Daniels. 

Fackrell and Lowry: Not likely, especially for Fackrell. Even if they play well, the team now has a fair amount of depth at their positions. They'll get deals elsewhere like Ryan, Tretter, & Hyde. Only way Lowry might be back is if reasonably priced and the other DL flop.

Spriggs and Allison: Could probably be on the same tier as Fackrell and Lowry if they take another step. But they'd be more likely to be brought back due to the lack of other team options at their positions. I could see GB bringing Spriggs back on middling Lane-Taylor-type deal. 

--------------

2020 team needs: OL depth, TE, ILB

possible needs (if current players don't develop): RT, WR, & CB

Edited by TransientTexan

QB - Aaron Rodgers is under contract for the foreseeable future.  There needs to be some sort of jump from DeShone Kizer if there's any chance of him having a future in Green Bay.  He's still under contract for 2 more years, but the Y3 jump needs to happen otherwise the Packers are likely looking at drafting a developmental type next year.  Tim Boyle and Manny Wilkins will battle out for QB3 this year with the winner likely ending up on the PS.  I'd give the edge to Boyle right now, but I wouldn't count out Wilkins either.

RB - Aaron Jones needs to stay healthy if they want to find a feature for him, and Jamaal Williams is a nice complementary back.  I wouldn't be surprised if RB ended up being a bigger draft need come in 2020.  I'd give the odds of Dexter Williams winning RB3 by default, but it's open for competition.

WR - The Packers clearly like their WRs more than their fans do, as they didn't draft a single one and only brought in a couple as UDFA.  They're putting all their eggs in the basket of MVS, ESB, and Moore.  I'd imagine we'll find out pretty quickly whether or not they were right or wrong pretty early.  If they're wrong, they'll be back to drafting another WR relatively high.  Personally, I believe at least 2 of 3 of Moore, ESB, and MVS will prove their worth.  And they have Kumerow who could steal snaps from them as well.

TE - I'd anticipate a bounce back year for Jimmy Graham, but he's still likely to be a cap casualty at the end of the year.  The Packers save $8M by releasing Jimmy Graham, and a year in the offensive system hopefully will develop him a bit more.  I would have liked them put another draft pick to the position, but there's only a finite number of legitimate TEs available every year.  We're hoping that at least one of Sternberger or Tonyan develops.  I'm not a huge believer in Tonyan, or at least feel his hype is unsubstantiated.

OT - Bakh is a stud, but Jason Spriggs and Bryan Bulaga are pending FAs.  If Spriggs make a jump, he's going to get a second contract from Green Bay.  If not, he's going to get a second contract from someone else.  Bryan Bulaga's injury history probably prevents him from getting another contract from Green Bay, someone else is going to overpay him.  Not sure who OT4 is, but maybe they get someone to make a jump.  I think this position is dependent heavily on Jason Spriggs.  He's the player to watch.

OG - The Packers just gave Billy Turner $7M/year, and Lane Taylor just signed a multi-year deal and they drafted Elgton Jenkins in the second round.  That was the earliest they've drafted an IOL since 1996 when they took Mike Flanagan at 90.  It's hard to tell if this is a departure from previous regime, or if this was more of a belief that Jenkins is capable of playing anywhere on the OL.  He played 4 out of 5 positions at Mississippi State, but his future appears to be on the IOL.  I think he ends up getting the LG gig sooner rather than later, which would make Lane Taylor a cap casualty next offseason.

C - Jenkins played center his last two years at Mississippi State, but they announced him as an OG.  Plus, Corey Linsley is under contract for 2 more years.  He'll be their starting C as long as he's under contract, so I don't imagine they'll move Jenkins to C only to replace Linsley who was a capable starting C.  He could move there long term, but I'd imagine in the near future Jenkins finds a spot at guard.  Finally, we have some IOL depth.

DL - Going to lump the entire group together.  Kenny Clark is a stud, and he's going to be a very rich man soon.  Beyond that, Mike Daniels and Dean Lowry have their contracts up soon.  IF they'll be re-signed seems to be up for debate, and probably depends on how the upcoming season goes.  I'm not sure that Mike Daniels gets re-signed especially since the Packers usually don't give out 3rd contracts to their former draft picks.  Dean Lowry probably has a better chance of being re-signed, but if he gets too expensive they'll let him walk.  Rashan Gary probably gets some snaps here, but this position could probably jump in terms of priority.

EDGE - After giving Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith $110M+, and then drafting Rashan Gary in the first round, I'd put the odds of Kyler Fackrell being back in a Green Bay uniform after next season at around 1%.  If he regresses and can't replicate the production, someone's going to give him more money than he's worth.  If he is able to post another double-digit sack season, someone's going to give him stupid money and it won't be Green Bay.  I'd imagine we'll draft another EDGE or 2 for life after Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith whom both possibly could become cap casualties.  I'm interested to see if Kendall Donnerson makes a jump with a full offseason, but the tools are there.

ILB - Blake Martinez is probably the only "must sign" for the Packers, and I think most of it goes based on how much money he wants.  If he wants top money, it's not coming from Green Bay.  The Packers have had an opportunity to take an ILB early, and they've opted not to.  This seems like a philosophical stance.  Possibly Josh Jones make a jump here, because we've seen glimpses of it.

CB - The Packers have invested a TON into this position.  They took Kevin King in the 2nd round of the 2017 draft, and they took Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson in the first two rounds of the 2018 draft.  They clearly still like those 3 quite a bit, but we need Kevin King to stay healthy and Josh Jackson to rebound in a big way.  Otherwise, we might be back in the market for a CB.  Fortunately, Kevin King has looked really good and Josh Jackson still has a ton of talent.  And they've actually got some solid depth behind them with Tony Brown and they took a gamble on Ka'Dar Hollman who has the tools, but lacks the exposure.

S - Talk about a complete changing of the position.  Last year' starters HHCD and Tramon Williams both likely end up on the bench, or in the case of HHCD on another team.  The Packers threw good money at Adrian Amos, and traded up for Dantrell Savage using a FRP on him.  Josh Jones likely returns in that hybrid LB/S role, which probably fits his skillset a little bit better.  But in terms of need, this position went from being a major need to an afterthought.

Overall, I see OT and DL as obvious needs going into the 2020 draft.  WR, TE, ILB, and CB as potential needs depending on how things go.  QB and EDGE as potential developmental looks.

• Like 1