> 2020 Draft Prospect Thread <

TheRealMcCoy

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

You'd avoid drafting a player you think highly of because you doubt your own teams ability to actually do the job? You'd take an inferior player because you don't believe in your own team? That by definition is a loser's mentality. 

Stay classy though.

Yeah bc I clearly said I think highly of him.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Like him a lot, but don't love him, yet. Sometimes he looks really good, sometimes he looks like Ronald Darby without all the tent visits. I think Gladney is more consistent. I'd take either one, tbh, but I'm mostly hoping CB is addressed in FA via Byron Jones and another signing.

Byron Jones + Gladney or Henderson wouldn't be bad either, but then we're missing out on a dope DL or WR or S. Until Schwartz is out of here, give me the DL, WR, or S, because our CB's are probably getting toasted regardless of who is back there with that crazy 11 yard cushion coverage we default to most of the time. So yea, hoping we don't go CB until like round 5. Just take someone who runs fast with a decent 3 cone and hope they pan out until the schwartz has left.

Yeah I really like both Henderson and Gladney and would be happy with either at 21, even if we signed Byron Jones or Bradberry. I'd actually be really pumped about that. Yeah I feel you on the Schwartz thing. I really hope some legit corners would pay dividends in his scheme.

24 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

I think everyone needs to slow their roll on Aiyuk.
I've seen almost every one of his games and he's not the 21st pick by any means.
That doesn't mean someone won't reach for him.
It shouldn't be the Eagles.

What's your reasoning? I like Aiyuk. He's not my first choice for 21, but I wouldn't be mad about it.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:56 AM, EAGLES 1977 said:

Just examples and I understand that it's hit or miss... teams had him lower also and didn't draft Metcalf...

What I really mean is that it's time to take a chance on players that have no route tree and maybe even players with red flags (Randy Moss)... what DK. has (Height, Size, and (SPEED)... you can't teach that... I know not every player with amazing attributes make it, but I definitely know we're scared off by a simple thing like learning to run more routes... give him a year or two to learn... We took a shot on CB Sidney Jones... Why not the same for other athlethes that possess what D.K. showed... 🤙

You're taking chances for the sake of taking chances.
"...it's time to take a chance on players that have no route tree..." based on what?  One guy?  What about all of the guys like him who didn't pan out?  Can the Eagles afford that?

You say the Eagles don't take chances and then cite one.
The Eagles can't go into a draft with 10 picks and just start taking chances.
Teams rarely do.

Here are the Eagles' last 10 "chances:"

Jordan Mailata  (new to football)  Why?  7th round risk
Sidney Jones  (injury)  Why?  Tremendous performance before the injury
Bryce Brown  (sketchy work history)  Why?  Good work performance in the past, 7th round risk
Danny Watkins  (spotty desire)  Why?  God know - This one falls into both categories.
Alex Henery  (mid round kicker)  Why?  Panic over the perceived demise of David Akers
Cornelius Ingram  (injury)  Why?  They were enamored with his physical skill set.  He is a lot like Metcalf minus the injury.
John Frank  (age)  Why?  LDS
Jermaine Mayberry  (level of competition)  Why?  Need
Bruce Walker  (injury)  Why?  Sixe and strength
Alonzo Johnson (known drug use)  Why?  Buddy Ryan didn't understand drugs and admitted it later.

The players above were "chances" with known issues, not just poor evaluations.
If you'll notice, there aren't many.
Teams don't just do that willy-nilly.

Mayberry was a serviceable player.
Jones may still pan out.
So may Mailata.
Of the rest, only Brown did anything in the league.

I get it, you like Metcalf.
But, "Oh, just take a chance" is a terrible policy with a terrible return on investment.

25 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

What's your reasoning? I like Aiyuk. He's not my first choice for 21, but I wouldn't be mad about it.

He is a very good, not great college receiver.

He does some things exceedingly well at the college level.
He's fast, but not that fast.
He is a game breaking punt returner, but much of what he's done required taking circuitous routes, the kind that end in a nine yard loss in the NFL.
He production was mediocre until this season.  Granted, he played opposite N'Keal Harry until this season.  But, he's nowhere near the prospect Harry was, and Harry went last in the 1st.
He has good hands, but nothing memorable, just decent.
I think he could be a top kick returner as soon as his first year.  However, that does not make him a first-rounder.

He only faced one of the top 10 CB's in college this year, Jaylon Johnson.
He had one catch for seven yards.
Also, he did square up versus Camryn Bynum from Cal.
Two catches for 31 yards.
He can be shut down.

Look, I like him, just not at 21.
I have him as the 9th best receiver, ahead of Henry Ruggs (who does not impress me).
If the Eagles trade 21 to Atlanta for 47 and 55, and the Eagles take him at 47, I'm OK, too.
21 would be a reach in my book.

I get that people feel this is a deep WR class, but it seems more and more that sounds like justification to many that we should reach for one. Not just Aiyuk, but we keep vaulting these guys up the draft boards for inexplicable reasons. The WR draft value is basically on a bubble right now. Aiyuk at 53 is debatable even frankly.

41 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

He is a very good, not great college receiver.

He does some things exceedingly well at the college level.
He's fast, but not that fast.
He is a game breaking punt returner, but much of what he's done required taking circuitous routes, the kind that end in a nine yard loss in the NFL.
He production was mediocre until this season.  Granted, he played opposite N'Keal Harry until this season.  But, he's nowhere near the prospect Harry was, and Harry went last in the 1st.
He has good hands, but nothing memorable, just decent.
I think he could be a top kick returner as soon as his first year.  However, that does not make him a first-rounder.

He only faced one of the top 10 CB's in college this year, Jaylon Johnson.
He had one catch for seven yards.
Also, he did square up versus Camryn Bynum from Cal.
Two catches for 31 yards.
He can be shut down.

Look, I like him, just not at 21.
I have him as the 9th best receiver, ahead of Henry Ruggs (who does not impress me).
If the Eagles trade 21 to Atlanta for 47 and 55, and the Eagles take him at 47, I'm OK, too.
21 would be a reach in my book.

If Aiyuk and Ruggs are your 9 and 10 respectively, I'd like to see your top 8. I'm curious.

2 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

You're taking chances for the sake of taking chances.
"...it's time to take a chance on players that have no route tree..." based on what?  One guy?  What about all of the guys like him who didn't pan out?  Can the Eagles afford that?

You say the Eagles don't take chances and then cite one.
The Eagles can't go into a draft with 10 picks and just start taking chances.
Teams rarely do.

Here are the Eagles' last 10 "chances:"

Jordan Mailata  (new to football)  Why?  7th round risk
Sidney Jones  (injury)  Why?  Tremendous performance before the injury
Bryce Brown  (sketchy work history)  Why?  Good work performance in the past, 7th round risk
Danny Watkins  (spotty desire)  Why?  God know - This one falls into both categories.
Alex Henery  (mid round kicker)  Why?  Panic over the perceived demise of David Akers
Cornelius Ingram  (injury)  Why?  They were enamored with his physical skill set.  He is a lot like Metcalf minus the injury.
John Frank  (age)  Why?  LDS
Jermaine Mayberry  (level of competition)  Why?  Need
Bruce Walker  (injury)  Why?  Sixe and strength
Alonzo Johnson (known drug use)  Why?  Buddy Ryan didn't understand drugs and admitted it later.

The players above were "chances" with known issues, not just poor evaluations.
If you'll notice, there aren't many.
Teams don't just do that willy-nilly.

Mayberry was a serviceable player.
Jones may still pan out.
So may Mailata.
Of the rest, only Brown did anything in the league.

I get it, you like Metcalf.
But, "Oh, just take a chance" is a terrible policy with a terrible return on investment.

Thanks for all the info on players listed... take one chance not all of our picks... it's a crapshoot I understand... all I'm saying is we had the chance for Metcalf, but were scared off by his route tree... Arcega Whiteside was similar to Jeffery... we didn't need that at this time... I also know our division rival the Cowgirls take chances way more then we do... look at some of there recent draft picks... it worked out for them... thanks 🤙🤙🤙

8 hours ago, Danger said:

I get that people feel this is a deep WR class, but it seems more and more that sounds like justification to many that we should reach for one. Not just Aiyuk, but we keep vaulting these guys up the draft boards for inexplicable reasons. The WR draft value is basically on a bubble right now. Aiyuk at 53 is debatable even frankly.

For me, from what I've seen (granted it's only 20-30 min of game footage on each) I'd rank them:

Jeudy -- top 10

Lamb -- top 15

Ruggs -- top 15-20

Higgins, Shenault, Jefferson -- late first 15-32

Reagor would be early to mid 2nd, Hamler and Aiyuk late 2nd/early 3rd

Looking at all of the mocks and big boards is only a guide, as none of them match what the Eagles board will actually look like.  If I'm Howie Roseman on draft night I'd wait to see if it gets to pick #12 with only Jeudy off the board, then if so, trade up for Ceedee Lamb.  I don't see Henry Ruggs as a trade-up target, but I'm sure many Eagles fans do.  It could be that Howie will evaluate the Higgins/Shenault/Jefferson group as a minimal drop-off, and he'll stay put at #21 and draft one of them instead. 

.... or perhaps we end up with Javon Kinlaw .....   

10 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

If Aiyuk and Ruggs are your 9 and 10 respectively, I'd like to see your top 8. I'm curious.

There are three tiers or WR's at the top.

Jerry Jeudy
Laviska Shenault
CeeDee Lamb

Tee Higgins
Justin Jefferson
Jalen Reagor
Michael Pittman

Bryan Edwards
Brandon Aiyuk
Henry Ruggs
Tyler Johnson 
KJ Hamler 

Really, you could make either Aiyuk or Ruggs number eight in my book.
Or you could drop them a spot or two.
It doesn't matter.  They're just not in the top groups.
This should come as no surprise as I declared Reagor better than Aiyuk a month ago when I touted Aiyuk as a second-rounder.
Also no mystery is my love for Shenault.
I think Jeudy is 1 and Shenault is 1A.
I've seen a lot of Aiyuk, Shenault and Pittman.

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I will be kind of shocked if Kinlaw is available at 21, he can play 3-4 DE or DT in an even front. 

Yeah He shouldn’t be there...but with at least 4 QBs going and all these OTs probably going as well....it’s a possibility he drops. 

He should go 5-12 but probably will go later teens. Think Oakland, Jags and Dallas would like to get him.