2020 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

TheRealMcCoy

19 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Meant to say day 3.

Hamler sucks btw, no idea why everyone is all over him. 

Early day 3 is fine for Tyler. He's a less athletic Justin Jefferson. I'd like those guys a lot more if we didn't need an outside WR, because I think both should stay in the slot.

Hamler is fast with yac skills. Nobody expects him to be a #1 WR, but he's a nice tool to have. He's a better version of Taylor Gabriel or maybe another Brandin Cooks.

Edited by Jeezla

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

What makes you say that lol? 

Tyler Johnson isn't the best WR on his team btw.

Hamler has speed - no doubt about it; but he's uber small, his hands are average at best and he is going to get absolutely bullied in the NFL - I know there's a lot of PSU guys here so this isn't an argument I expect to win.

I don't think being the best WR on your team has anything to do with being drafted in the fourth round (or being drafted anywhere tbh)?

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Hamler is fast with yac skills. Nobody expects him to be a #1 WR, but he's a nice tool to have. He's a better version of Taylor Gabriel.

Don't disagree with this at all, as I said above - but where are you drafting Taylor Gabriel? Certainly not in the second round. 

5 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Don't disagree with this at all, as I said above - but where are you drafting Taylor Gabriel? Certainly not in the second round. 

Brandin Cooks might be a better comp. Late 2nd/early 3rd is probably where he should go, but if your team has no deep threats, he might be worth a mid 2nd, since he can take the top off a D. Would I rather have Quez Watkins in round 5? Yes, but I could understand taking Hamler in the 2nd.

Edited by Jeezla

17 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Hamler has speed - no doubt about it; but he's uber small, his hands are average at best and he is going to get absolutely bullied in the NFL - I know there's a lot of PSU guys here so this isn't an argument I expect to win.

I don't think being the best WR on your team has anything to do with being drafted in the fourth round (or being drafted anywhere tbh)?

There aren't that many PSU guys here. Frankly there are more anti-PSU guys around here who simply discount someone because they're from PSU. Hamler isn't really any smaller than DeSean Jackson frankly, and I think his hands are just fine. They might not be a strong point, but the dude is wicked in open space.

22 minutes ago, Danger said:

There aren't that many PSU guys here. Frankly there are more anti-PSU guys around here who simply discount someone because they're from PSU. Hamler isn't really any smaller than DeSean Jackson frankly, and I think his hands are just fine. They might not be a strong point, but the dude is wicked in open space.

Like I said - I would never doubt his speed at all. He's electric - but what else are his strong points? His hands are average and it doesn't seem like he has "pure hands" (from a body catching perspective).

When i see KJ Hamler I can't help but see Tavon Austin or even like Jeezla pointed out Taylor Gabriel. He's just not a guy that I like given his current draft projection. 

25 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Like I said - I would never doubt his speed at all. He's electric - but what else are his strong points? His hands are average and it doesn't seem like he has "pure hands" (from a body catching perspective).

When i see KJ Hamler I can't help but see Tavon Austin or even like Jeezla pointed out Taylor Gabriel. He's just not a guy that I like given his current draft projection. 

I'd say Gabriel is his floor and Cooks/D jax is his ceiling. Don't think he ends up Tavon-level bad. Also don't think he ends up D Jax/Cooks level good. More like a Randall Cobb, but he is a little faster/twitchier than Cobb.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'd say Gabriel is his floor and Cooks/D jax is his ceiling. Don't think he ends up Tavon-level bad. Also don't think he ends up D Jax/Cooks level good. More like a Randall Cobb, but he is a little faster/twitchier than Cobb.

I'd say this is a very fair assessment, a lot of his success will come down to the level of talent around him as well as the system he's in actually utilizing his skillsets. If he ends up going to a bad team, he's gonna flop, if he goes to a good team, I think he'll turn out very well.

I am a PSU fan. Hamler is absolutely electric with the ball and would need to be used correctly by a coach. Hope he goes somewhere with a creative offensive mind who can get him in mismatches. Dude may never be a #1 but could thrive in a #2/3 role. Think he would be electric in New Orleans. 

And PSU has done pretty well with skill players translating to NFL recently - Barkley, Sanders, Godwin, even Geseki came on strong last year. 

I mentioned the Hamler drop issues a while back but I finally found an article outlining it. 

“The worrisome thing about Hamler at the moment is his ball skills. He has far too many drops on tape for a team to feel comfortable taking him ahead of the guys in the top tier of this class. Hamler dropped an astounding 12 balls on only 68 catchable throws last season — that’s an astounding 17.6%. We’ve seen guys clean up drops in the NFL, though, and you can’t coach a player to be as electric in space as Hamler.”

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2020-KJ-Hamler-highly-regarded-second-tier-wide-receivers-Penn-State-145174783/

44 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

so was jeudy or ruggs not the best receiver on his team and thus undraftable?

I didn't say Tyler Johnson was undraftable, I was simply pointing out a fact. Tyler Johnson is a late 4th-mid 5th round guy for me.