2020 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

TheRealMcCoy

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The JJAW pick was so bad. Not just because he seemingly just isn't very good, but because we drafted more of what we already have when we have glaring needs for someone with speed.... 

Really hope they can improve on this in the offseason. Howie is a great gm when it comes to making good deals and signing free agents, but the draft has to be figured out at this point.

JJAW is an ideal #4 WR. Definitely the kind of guy you take in round 2 when you really need speed, and Metcalf and McLaurin (Who our scouts saw multiple times up close at the Senior Bowl, where he dominated all week, and the Combine, where he also lit it up) are there for the taking. Instead we took a textbook 4th WR, and a RB that dances more than Michael Flatley. Miles Sanders is currently the 2nd best WR on our team until D Jax gets back, so I'll cut him slack, but he needs to do his main job better instead of just being a taller Tarik Cohen. JJAW though...christ did Howie and Doug (I guarantee he has some input on these picks) whiff on that one. Hated the pick when we made it. Hate it even more now, especially since the guys I wanted us to draft are looking like current and future #1's.

I still think JJ will eventually be a good #2 and will replace Alshon when we get rid of Alshon in a year or two, but he helps this team very little right now, and We already have big bodies in Ertz and Goedert moving forward regardless. There's just no fit, and there were plenty of other guys available.

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

but sometimes it seems like Howie just gets players and is like “go nuts” (Goedert and Tate) or doesn’t account for whats most important and doubling down on it. (JJAW and not taking a safety in good classes the last couple years)

The funny part is that in the second round I was arguing Adderley and a couple of my buddies were arguing Metcalf (who I guess I would have been fine with since he had fallen pretty far)...we got neither.

Not that Adderley would be cracking the line-up but...meh. I hate when I try and justify picks after they're made.

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Is that what he was drafted to do though? Because I don't think it is and as a receiver he's very underwhelming. 

Well we did draft him as a TE and not a WR so I'll say the answer to that is yes. Personally, he's being underutilized, especially when compared to out other pass catchers but when you have Ertz setting NFL records last season, it's kinda hard to break through at the same position.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

Well we did draft him as a TE and not a WR so I'll say the answer to that is yes. Personally, he's being underutilized, especially when compared to out other pass catchers but when you have Ertz setting NFL records last season, it's kinda hard to break through at the same position.

Fair point - it's still a wasted pick right now whether it be because of reps, talent, or both.

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

Fair point - it's still a wasted pick right now whether it be because of reps, talent, or both.

Eh. I'd agree with the "wasted pick" assessment when we're talking about Clayton Thorson who literally wouldn't see the field unless Wentz got hurt or Donnell Pumphrey who is literally too small to play in the NFL (do yourself a favor and don't look at the 2017 RB class, it's painful). Goedert is at least contributing week in and week out for a team that runs a base 12 personnel.

I’d say when dissecting Howie draft strategy and philosophy, the Goedert Pick is something we don’t have the full picture on yet and he’s at least a good player....which is way more than you can say about most of the picks.

like if we move on from Ertz in the next two years, it begins to make a more sense. Especially when that compensation would likely be a lower 1st to 2nd value at least.

There are way bigger problems, we at least got a good player. But it does add to the “questionable priorities” narrative for sure. 

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

as a receiver he's very underwhelming. 

I really disagree. We're not utilizing him often enough. He's had... 2 drops? But to say he's been "very underwhelming" seems to be just trying to fit to your preconceived feelings about a player from before they were drafted. No he hasn't been a superstar, but we need to get him more involved.

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

I really disagree. We're not utilizing him often enough. He's had... 2 drops? But to say he's been "very underwhelming" seems to be just trying to fit to your preconceived feelings about a player from before they were drafted. No he hasn't been a superstar, but we need to get him more involved.

I expect most folks to disagree but I just don't see it. He could turn out to prove me wrong but as of right now he's just a mediocre tight end. There's TEs all over the league that can do what he does and that did not cost a second round pick. Maybe I was expecting more from him and that's why I'm so disappointed, idk. 

Why is it every year with some of you guys if a Rookie instantly isn't an All Pro, he's a bust, wasted draft pick? I get some of you had your favorites, a wish list of who You wanted but it appears Howie was trying to make Doug happy.

The Eagles attempted to find suitable replacements for 3 players in Pedersons offense. 

An athletic LT Dillard to replace Peters.

A WR who's NFL Comp by most experts is Alshon Jeffery with younger, faster JJ Whiteside. 

A RB whose skill set I guarantee you reminds Pederson of a young Bryan Westbrook. Something he covets and hasn't had ever as the HC.

Just because none of these players have instantly shown you through 6 games they are those replacements doesnt mean they won't or can't be. Regardless of whatever your Favorites are doing with other teams it doesnt mean they were a bad pick.

Just like it wasn't when people bashed Ertz because they wanted Eifert.

Just like it wasn't when people bashed Wentz because he didn't play at a Div I school , so he must suck!

Just like it wasn't when people bashed Jason Kelce because he was an undersized Center.

Just give it a season or two before jumping off a cliff and barking at the moon. 6 games showing you all you need to know, is rediculous!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why is it every year with some of you guys if a Rookie instantly isn't an All Pro, he's a bust, wasted draft pick? I get some of you had your favorites, a wish list of who You wanted but it appears Howie was trying to make Doug happy.

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a bust

Just arguing that the archetype of player he is was perhaps a misguided position to target. Especially for a team full of possession type receivers and two tight ends that operate in that space. Would have made more sense if they were getting rid of Alshon. But they reworked his contract.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

The Eagles attempted to find suitable replacements for 3 players in Pedersons offense. 

An athletic LT Dillard to replace Peters.

A WR who's NFL Comp by most experts is Alshon Jeffery with younger, faster JJ Whiteside. 

A RB whose skill set I guarantee you reminds Pederson of a young Bryan Westbrook. Something he covets and hasn't had ever as the HC.

Just because none of these players have instantly shown you through 6 games they are those replacements doesnt mean they won't or can't be. Regardless of whatever your Favorites are doing with other teams it doesnt mean they were a bad pick.

Just like it wasn't when people bashed Ertz because they wanted Eifert.

Just like it wasn't when people bashed Wentz because he didn't play at a Div I school , so he must suck!

Just like it wasn't when people bashed Jason Kelce because he was an undersized Center.

Just give it a season or two before jumping off a cliff and barking at the moon. 6 games showing you all you need to know, is rediculous!!

Our recent draft success leads all of us to believe all 3 players from this years draft will suck. And there's nothing you can say to disprove that. 

Just now, Scalamania said:

Our recent draft success leads all of us to believe all 3 players from this years draft will suck. And there's nothing you can say to disprove that. 

If you trade away all of your draft assets, it's like guaranteeing you're going to have your house foreclosed on because "well I can't make good money at my job, I may as well go out and buy all the things I like."