2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's likely got two playoff games left.

No need to say he's dipping out on his teammates.

Ahh true. Yeah I'd be pretty shocked if he didnt make the leap. I vote leave school literally any time you get a 1st round grade.

I dont understand brand loyalty for players though. Get drafted to a bad team, if **** hasnt changed in 4-5 years move on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Ahh true. Yeah I'd be pretty shocked if he didnt make the leap. I vote leave school literally any time you get a 1st round grade.

I dont understand brand loyalty for players though. Get drafted to a bad team, if **** hasnt changed in 4-5 years move on.

or do what Minkah did: get your agent to leverage a trade.

If I'm Chase Young and my options are Redskins, Bengals, and Dolphins, I'm messing up my combine interviews and winking at teams like the Rams, Cardinals, Falcons, and everyone else in that pick 10-15 range. Anyone remember Brandon Thompson? Dude played for Clemson about a decade ago and could've easily been a Kenny Clark-esque 3-4 NT. Problem is that he didn't want to be that player and demanded to play in a 4-3. What'd that do for him? His draft stock fell, he was a 2nd round pick IIRC, and he wound up with Cincy - a 4-3 team...

1 hour ago, Joe said:

or do what Minkah did: get your agent to leverage a trade.

If I'm Chase Young and my options are Redskins, Bengals, and Dolphins, I'm messing up my combine interviews and winking at teams like the Rams, Cardinals, Falcons, and everyone else in that pick 10-15 range. Anyone remember Brandon Thompson? Dude played for Clemson about a decade ago and could've easily been a Kenny Clark-esque 3-4 NT. Problem is that he didn't want to be that player and demanded to play in a 4-3. What'd that do for him? His draft stock fell, he was a 2nd round pick IIRC, and he wound up with Cincy - a 4-3 team...

Nobody's going to set that money on fire

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I think you very much overestimate how ready a 20 year old is to forego millions of dollars as part of a vague plan that would hopefully see him drafted by a more desireable team.  To say nothing of how likely his agent would be to go along with it.  Aside from any of that, the G-men are currently slotted at #2.  I hope nobody is trying to convince me that Young doesn't want to play for the Giants, because that is exactly where Young would be picked if the Giants remain at #2.  With very few exceptions, these things always come down to the money. I fully expect Young to enter the draft, and to publicly stake his claim as the #1 overall prospect.

BTW: Thompson was drafted at the end of RD3, not RD2.  He never did much of anything in the league.  That kind of prospect tanking the combine and interviews is a much different thing than a prospect like Young.  Just ask ask Jachai Polite.  It seems to me that Thompson is a perfect example of why a player would not want to sabotage their one chance to be taken with a high pick.

Edited by Mazrimiv

54 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think you very much overestimate how ready a 20 year old is to forego millions of dollars as part of a vague plan that would hopefully see him drafted by a more desireable team.  To say nothing of how likely his agent would be to go along with it.  Aside from any of that, the G-men are currently slotted at #2.  I hope nobody is trying to convince me that Young doesn't want to play for the Giants, because that is exactly where Young would be picked if the Giants remain at #2.  With very few exceptions, these things always come down to the money. I fully expect Young to enter the draft, and to publicly stake his claim as the #1 overall prospect.

BTW: Thompson was drafted at the end of RD3, not RD2.  He never did much of anything in the league.  That kind of prospect tanking the combine and interviews is a much different thing than a prospect like Young.  Just ask ask Jachai Polite.  It seems to me that Thompson is a perfect example of why a player would not want to sabotage their one chance to be taken with a high pick.

I totally understand the first point as well as @AlexGreen#20's as well. I keep forgetting the Giants are probably going to be at #2 and if they are then yes, Young should lobby HARD to wind up in NY where he would be a far greater fit compared to the other three teams irregardless of any personal interest.

As for Polite, I don't think he intentionally bombed his interviews. He had some character concerns heading into the combine so I wasn't all too surprised when he floundered in the interviews. My bad on Thompson. I just remember he had a first round grade on him and once he opened up about only wanting to play for a 4-3 team his stock dropped though I forgot he fell that far. 

My greater point in tanking the combine was to avoid being drafted by a team where you'd be a poor fit or you'd be in a quagmire like the Redskins or Dolphins. You look at a guy like Robert Woods who wallowed away in Buffalo until the Rams resurrected his career. You'd hate to see a kid like Young go through the same thing. Polite however...

It's the nature of the beast. Barring trade ups, few top organizations / teams select the elite talent which year in year out goes to the weaker organizations / teams. Used to be those top drafting teams needed to "earn" that top pick by really being lousy - but as the concept of tanking becomes normalized and accepted as "strategy" - even thats been watered down a bit by a few organizations that have planned tanking. They stink - no doubt - but it becomes harder to discern if they're #1 pick lousy or there's a few less than stellar efforts along the way. 

I have just a little time, thought I'd pull this out regarding EDGE guys from last year since Polite was mentioned.

Through 14 games.  Per Pro Football reference.

Jaylon Ferguson, Ravens,  11 pressures, 28 combined tackles, 2 sacks.  

Clelin Ferrel, Raiders, 13 pressures, 34 combined tackles, 3.5 sacks.

Nick Bosa, 49ers, 33 pressures, 41 combined tackles, 9 sacks.

Josh Allen, Jags, 37 pressures, 39 combined tackles, 10 sacks.

Montez Sweat, 'Skins,  20 pressures, 43 combined tackles, 5 sacks.

Brian Burns, Panthers, 20 pressures, 20 combined tackles, 5.5 sacks.

Rashan Gary, Packers, 4 pressures, 20 combined tackles, 2 sacks.

Early results for Gary do not look good, but he's getting more snaps now and he appears to be better of late.  I had no clue that Josh Allen was doing this good.