2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The argument for "buy the defense, build the offense" has to do with what pieces are available in which places..  The DL group in FA is fantastic (this is the first year guys taken in 2016 are free agents, and that was a very, very good DL class).  The WR group in FA is quite poor.

For the draft it's kind of the other way around- great bunch of WRs, DL group is shallow.

So philosophically you might prefer to draft defense, but in practical terms it makes more sense to do it the other way around this time.

Agreed.  Have to look at the strengths of each player acquisition Avenue.  Draft is rich in WR and RB this year.  FA is rich in DL.

• Like 2

I don’t want no more shorties.  Elite NFL teams think we’re soft and I’m sick of it.  Richard Sherman has laughed at us in 2/3 previous Championship games.  Shanahan has embarrassed us in both our last two.  I want DL that makes OL a little bit frightened to look at.  I feel like in spite of how good Daniels was, teams kinda didn’t take him or us seriously and that good teams weren’t too concerned about Daniels.  

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is there to say? He's got all the issues you typically see with shorter defensive lineman. He gets reached too much, and he struggles to disengage when locked up.

He's a classic college overachiever. 

I'm struggling to keep up with the logic here.  You mention his production is minimal, yet he's a college overachiever.  That doesn't make sense to me.  If you're going to blast him for his lack of production, don't call him an overachiever.  You look at his skillset, and I see a guy with a strong motor with good movement skills and strong hand usage out of a guy who was playing the 1T position for Oklahoma.  He clearly had some issues with his anchor, and he's not the most run-stable DL.  But we've discussed Raekwon Davis' inability to generate interior pressure and the lack of premium that provides, yet Gallimore brings that interior pressure and you're moving along.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm struggling to keep up with the logic here.  You mention his production is minimal, yet he's a college overachiever.  That doesn't make sense to me.  If you're going to blast him for his lack of production, don't call him an overachiever.  You look at his skillset, and I see a guy with a strong motor with good movement skills and strong hand usage out of a guy who was playing the 1T position for Oklahoma.  He clearly had some issues with his anchor, and he's not the most run-stable DL.  But we've discussed Raekwon Davis' inability to generate interior pressure and the lack of premium that provides, yet Gallimore brings that interior pressure and you're moving along.

Because production isn't equivalent to just sacks.

He's just not a great fit in this system. He fits much better as an undersized NT in a one-gap set that lets him fire up field and shoot his gap without having to try and play horizontally. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because production isn't equivalent to just sacks.

He's just not a great fit in this system. He fits much better as an undersized NT in a one-gap set that lets him fire up field and shoot his gap without having to try and play horizontally. 

I mean, his 2019 tape is considered largely superior to his 2018 tape, yet his numbers in 2018 were better than they were in 2019.  Watching him play, teams weren't playing at him.  He's not going to fit everyone's scheme, which is fine and not an argument I'd fight.  But isn't Pettine more about molding his scheme to his players.  I think he'd be willing to sacrifice some run defense if it meant a better interior pass rusher.