2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

For everyone who is spending a lot of time looking at first round receivers or Inside LBs, I would say spend more time looking at Tackle and D-line. 

Why do you say this? 

Could it have something to do with the fact that

7 of our last 13 first round picks have been DL/EDGE?
2 of the remaining 6 have been OT?
4 of the remaining 4 have been DB? 

Or that the last time we drafted an ILB in the first round was when a TE, 2 safeties, another ILB and two quarterbacks were the next picks taken and we had Collins, Bigby, Manuel and Peprah on our roster at safety and had just drafted Aaron Rodgers?

Or that the last time we drafted a receiver in the first round was due to the same man who spent 90 billion dollars on Joe Johnson, drafted Jamal Reynolds, drafted Bubba Franks 14th overall and used a 20th overall pick on Javon Walker? 

Because I think you might be onto something. 

And damn, Sherman was God-awful.  I am not blaming Wolf on Franks.  That was a Sherman move.  Mike Sherman did literally all of the things that you should never do that I always preach.  He must have been run by PackfanFB and TOT. 

*Overspent on a crap free agent who clearly wanted a paycheck. 
*Drafted a TE 14th overall. 
*WR 20th overall.
*ILB 29th overall.
*Drafted a 5'9 cornerback 25th overall. 

Damn he was terrible. 

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why do you say this? 

Could it have something to do with the fact that

7 of our last 13 first round picks have been DL/EDGE?
2 of the remaining 6 have been OT?
4 of the remaining 4 have been DB? 

Or that the last time we drafted an ILB in the first round was when a TE, 2 safeties, another ILB and two quarterbacks were the next picks taken and we had Collins, Bigby, Manuel and Peprah on our roster at safety and had just drafted Aaron Rodgers?

Or that the last time we drafted a receiver in the first round was due to the same man who spent 90 billion dollars on Joe Johnson, drafted Jamal Reynolds, drafted Bubba Franks 14th overall and used a 20th overall pick on Javon Walker? 

Because I think you might be onto something. 

And damn, Sherman was God-awful.  I am not blaming Wolf on Franks.  That was a Sherman move.  Mike Sherman did literally all of the things that you should never do that I always preach.  He must have been run by PackfanFB and TOT. 

*Overspent on a crap free agent who clearly wanted a paycheck. 
*Drafted a TE 14th overall. 
*WR 20th overall.
*ILB 29th overall.
*Drafted a 5'9 cornerback 25th overall. 

Damn he was terrible. 

Didn't you love this player though? ;)

Just read up on Gallimore:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/neville-gallimore

Big Red Flags:

Kyle Crabbs: Two Gap Ability - He isn't a true nose in the sense that he's better in attack mode versus read and react. Will show stack and shed skills but he's more sufficient with it when stringing out the center laterally versus locking horns in 1 v 1 and being tasked with late shed and attacking adjacent gaps. 

Worse off...

Joe Marino: Has some lowlights when tasked with holding at the point. Isn’t the most consistent anchoring against drive blocks or doubles. Has to be more consistent keeping his pads low and fighting for his gap against the run. Power is much more dynamic moving forward then when he has to anchor and keep his ground. Block recognition and deconstruction against the run has plenty of room for upward growth.

*Marino also says his worst trait is run defense

--------

This all but confirms of what I saw of him in both the Iowa State and Baylor games this season: he can press the pocket on passing downs, but he's washed out of the play on run downs. Sure, he's explosive and that's all fine and dandy, but we're looking for a guy that's a run-stuffer who can push the pocket. Sacks aren't necessarily important for our DL. Gallimore's better off in a 4-3 front like that of the Giants where he's next to a Dexter Lawrence or in Zimmer's defense alongside Linval Joseph; plain and simple.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, Outpost31 said:

We also need more Jaires on this defense.  Less Lowrys, Martinezes, Kings.  I feel like the latter three are soft as hell.

You were supporting Blake (and Ryan) the last 3-4 seasons when many of us were calling them JAGS and asking for MLB upgrades, Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith. Mychal Kendricks, Kwan Alexander, Devin Bush, Devin White, Zach Brown.

Edited by fattlipp
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 8:40 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

For everyone who is spending a lot of time looking at first round receivers or Inside LBs, I would say spend more time looking at Tackle and D-line. 

I just did. It's more likely that we'll trade down, grab Raekwon Davis or another similar prospect, and then draft a WR if we don't draft WR first.

Just now, fattlipp said:

You were supporting Blake the last 2-3 seasons when many of us were calling for MLB upgrades, Mychal Kendricks, Kwan Alexander, Devin Bush, Devin White, Zach Brown.

Yes I was.  Before it became obvious that Pettine has no intention of creating a scheme that fits Blake's skills and instead expects him to take on people who outweigh him by like 60 pounds and be effective at it.  What do Kendricks, Alexander, Bush, White and Zach Brown all have in common? 

They would be manhandled in our scheme just as easily as Blake was. 

What else do they all have in common? 

PFF scores very similar to Blake's 58.7. 

Bush and White required top 10 draft picks.  Zach Brown has been cut/not re-signed by 5 different teams. 

You see these players making highlight plays, but you don't see their lowlight plays.  They aren't good.  None of those players are good.  Fast, but not good.  If you want fast, just put Amos at ILB and you'd get the same impact. 

Martinez - 3 sacks, 1 int
Kendricks - 3 sacks, 1 int
Alexander - .5 sacks (note the .), 1 int
Bush - 2 sacks, 2 int
White - 2.5 sacks, 1 int
Brown - 3.5 sacks, 0 int... In his last three seasons.

You all act like these players are extreme upgrades over Martinez when they're not.  The truth is all of the players you just mentioned were put in better positions to succeed than Blake.  Every single one of those teams has a better defensive front.  Every single one. 

Martinez haters often say "Derp a derp he never tackles for loss."

Martinez - 5 tackles for loss.
Alexander - 3 tackles for loss.
Brown - 2 tackles for loss.
Kendricks - 8 tacles for loss.
White - 4 tackles for loss. 

The only one who was significantly higher than Blake was Bush with 12 or something.  You want to trade up to 10th overall to get 7 more tackles for loss per season? 

Now I'm no expert, but I'd like to think that Watt/Dupree/Hayward/Alualu/Hargrave/McCullers are better than Smith/Smith/Clark/Lowry.  Wouldn't you agree?

For ****'s sake people.  This is all sorts of stupid. 

These linebackers are not better than Blake.  When it comes to ILB, there are three classes:

Elite - The list of linebackers here is 4 long.  That's it.
Good - Martinez is here. The list of linebackers here is probably 14 strong.
Bad - We're not here. 

The difference between each ranking is not significant.  You see all these fast linebackers and think they can do what Bobby Wagner does.  They cannot.  The things these light/fast ILBs can do that Blake can't do are negated by the things they cannot do that Blake can do.

Are you honestly going to sit there and act like Kwon Alexander at 227 pounds could take on blockers better than Martinez can?  Do you understand how absolutely absurd that is? 

Kwon Alexander outweighs Jaire ****ing Alexander by 30 pounds.  Are you going to ****ing sit there and act like every ****ing Packer fan wouldn't want him run out of town? 

He's played in 26 of his last 48 games and people are acting like Bulaga is too injury prone to re-sign. 

And Devin White?  Dude, Devin White sucked.  He sucked faster than Martinez.  Is that what you want?  You want a linebacker just back there creating havoc not only for the offense but also the defense? 

Tampa Bay just passed on Josh Allen and Ed Oliver for a ****ing ILB.  They were 29th in the league in points against. 

This is just hemorrhage inducing. 

• Like 1

Quick Off-Season

https://fanspeak.com/ultimategm/otc/draft.php?d=dwoxvr&b=4&po=&t=1015&nr=7&dl=difficult&cb=0

Site front loads deals a ton,  those Jones and Williams Deals are like 5/60m deals 45% Guaranteed

CUTS
Name Position
Jimmy Graham    TE
Lane Taylor    G

SIGNED PLAYERS
Name Position  Cap Hit
Mason Crosby K  2,800,000
Bryan Bulaga OT  6,580,000
Marcedes Lewis TE  1,800,000
Kyler Fackrell EDGE  1,925,000
Chris Jones DL  7,050,000
Leonard Williams DL  6,750,000
Breshad Perriman WR  4,025,000
Zach Brown LB  2,812,500
Nick Kwiatkoski LB  2,275,000

TRADES

TRADE PARTNER: PITTSBURGH STEELERS
SENT: ROUND: 3 PICK: 30
RECEIVED: ROUND: 3 PICK: 38 and ROUND: 4 PICK: 18

PICKS
30: R1P30
 TYLER BIADASZ
WISCONSIN
62: R2P30
 WR K.J. HAMLER
PENN STATE
102: R3P38
 TE BRYCEN HOPKINS
PURDUE
121: R4P18
 WR TYLER JOHNSON
MINNESOTA
133: R4P30
 LB BARON BROWNING
OHIO STATE
175: R5P29
 RB NAJEE HARRIS
ALABAMA
192: R6P13
 CB ERIC STOKES
GEORGIA
209: R6P30
 CB LEVONTA TAYLOR
FLORIDA STATE
224: R7P10
 JOHN SIMPSON
CLEMSON
242: R7P28
NIGEL WARRIOR
TENNESSEE
243: R7P29
 RODRIGO BLANKENSHIP
GEORGIA

• Like 1

and having speed at MLB isnt about tackles for a loss but covering the Duke Johnson, James Whites and Kamara types out of the backfield.  Blake looks like Brian Noble trying to do that.....   We can sign a Morrison types to put in in games like we had against SF, to bad he wasn't still on the roster......We should have a 350 NT on the team like Shelton for games like that as well...move Clark outside...

Edited by fattlipp

5 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I would has a sad if we went Center at 30 lol

Yeah, but they may not want to pay Linsley .... so went logic instead of WR/LB like i wanted too

and DL can be overlooked if had Williams/Clark/Jones...  Lowry,/Lancaster/Keke/Adams

Edited by fattlipp
  • Like 1