Jump to content
CWood21

2020 NFL Draft Discussion

Recommended Posts

 
 
 
1
5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No.  We need to keep feeding the defense. Only offense I want in round one is a right tackle or a QBOTF.  MAYBE a running back if one fell to like 30 that was projected to go too 15.  Otherwise, keep feeding that defense.

I do not know who Albert O is.

I will never understand someone who completely shuts something down that they don't know anything about. You had no clue if Albert O played defense before you said no and went on your rant. Albert O is better than both of the Iowa Tightends that came out this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Compared to the Packers of recent years, where the needs of the team were fairly obvious, it is not so obvious to me this coming year. As things stand the Packers do not appear especially weak anywhere. Part of who gets drafted should rest heavily on which players leave from the current group, several contracts are up after 2019 (eg Davis, Allison, Crosby, Fackrell, Martinez, Bulaga). My guess for the 2020 draft is:

RT (if Bulaga is gone. This is a lock for a first or second round pick)
ILB (if Martinez is gone this should be addressed in the first three rounds).
CB (Tramon Wiliams is almost certainly gone, but the starting CBs are set and so is Brown as no.3.  Add a pick somewhere for depth)
S  (depth pick as they have two starters and what looks like a credible backup in Raven Greene)
TE (this is likely as I'm expecting both Lewis and Graham to be gone. The question is how early a pick will it be ?)
K (later draft pick, 5th to 7th depending on talent available)
QB (anyone they really like in almost any round of the draft, though probably not round 1).

So, something like RT, ILB, TE, CB, S, QB, K, that's 7 picks.

Receivers are rumoured to be a good group in 2020, that might alter things, especially if Allison and Davis go. That depends on the continued development of guys like MVS, ESB, Shepherd (not to mention who is available when they pick). OLB is another possibility somewhere, if Fackrell is not re-signed. Finally, RB is always a possibility from round 4 onwards, you can get good value with later RB picks.

PS If Bulaga stays healthy and plays well this year (and I expect him to play well if he is healthy), that does make cutting him a tough choice. He is too good to just let him leave, if his health is ok. If it isn't, then he is probably gone. He will be 31 years old in 2020 and a 3yr extension might be done, if the money is right.
 

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Compared to the Packers of recent years, where the needs of the team were fairly obvious, it is not so obvious to me this coming year. As things stand the Packers do not appear especially weak anywhere. Part of who gets drafted should rest heavily on which players leave from the current group, several contracts are up after 2019 (eg Davis, Allison, Crosby, Fackrell, Martinez, Bulaga). My guess for the 2020 draft is:

RT (if Bulaga is gone. This is a lock for a first or second round pick)
ILB (if Martinez is gone this should be addressed in the first three rounds).
CB (Tramon Wiliams is almost certainly gone, but the starting CBs are set and so is Brown as no.3.  Add a pick somewhere for depth)
S  (depth pick as they have two starters and what looks like a credible backup in Raven Greene)
TE (this is likely as I'm expecting both Lewis and Graham to be gone. The question is how early a pick will it be ?)
K (later draft pick, 5th to 7th depending on talent available)
QB (anyone they really like in almost any round of the draft, though probably not round 1).

So, something like RT, ILB, TE, CB, S, QB, K, that's 7 picks.

Receivers are rumoured to be a good group in 2020, that might alter things, especially if Allison and Davis go. That depends on the continued development of guys like MVS, ESB, Shepherd (not to mention who is available when they pick). OLB is another possibility somewhere, if Fackrell is not re-signed. Finally, RB is always a possibility from round 4 onwards, you can get good value with later RB picks.

PS If Bulaga stays healthy and plays well this year (and I expect him to play well if he is healthy), that does make cutting him a tough choice. He is too good to just let him leave, if his health is ok. If it isn't, then he is probably gone. He will be 31 years old in 2020 and a 3yr extension might be done, if the money is right.
 

I'll just say you always take great pass rushers if one fall to you. We are thin at that position behind Smiths and Gary. Fackrell isn't coming back IMO. I'd be OK with getting one in the first three rounds to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

 

It's pretty simple to understand, actually.  Some positions should be targeted in round one with certain picks, others should not.  History backs this up with the overwhelming power of hindsight.  I don't care who the prospect is.  The prospect does not matter.  The prospect simply does not matter.  Every single year there are can't miss players, high ceiling, low floor, yadda yadda.  There is no telling even in June how good a prospect will be in his career for sure, so you might as well put an emphasis on positional value and go from there. 

1ST-32nd overall:

QB
EDGE
OT
DL
DB

23-32nd overall:

ILB
IOL
WR
TE


I don’t care what the scenario is, if you’re picking an IOL, WR, TE or ILB in the top 22, you are going to live to regret it.  The higher you pick them, the higher the regret. 

The 2017 draft class will always be remembered as the class the Bengals passed on Mahomes and Watson for a WR.  Same with the Titans.

Look at the 2014 draft class.  Lol. 

Bills picked Watkins over Mack.
Lions took Ebron over Oliver. 

Under zero circumstances whatsoever would I ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever draft an ILB,IOL,TE,WR 15th overall or higher. 

16th seems to be that spot where the exceptions lie.  But for every Jerry Rice, there are 100 Eric Ebrons. 

GMs, believe it or not, are aware of and for the most part believe in this.  Look at the teams who consistently draft these positions and you will see bottom-dwelling teams like the Dolphins, Bengals, Lions, Vikings, Bears... Teams who have not been relevant for 20-30 years.  Also, the Cowboys. 

Look at the investment Jones has placed in IOL, WR and ILB over the years.  Now look at his team and ask yourself if that's the situation you'd like for us to be in after Rodgers retires or during his final years.  I had to stop to think before I could name a single defensive back for that team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Compared to the Packers of recent years, where the needs of the team were fairly obvious, it is not so obvious to me this coming year. As things stand the Packers do not appear especially weak anywhere. Part of who gets drafted should rest heavily on which players leave from the current group, several contracts are up after 2019 (eg Davis, Allison, Crosby, Fackrell, Martinez, Bulaga). My guess for the 2020 draft is:

RT (if Bulaga is gone. This is a lock for a first or second round pick)
ILB (if Martinez is gone this should be addressed in the first three rounds).
CB (Tramon Wiliams is almost certainly gone, but the starting CBs are set and so is Brown as no.3.  Add a pick somewhere for depth)
S  (depth pick as they have two starters and what looks like a credible backup in Raven Greene)
TE (this is likely as I'm expecting both Lewis and Graham to be gone. The question is how early a pick will it be ?)
K (later draft pick, 5th to 7th depending on talent available)
QB (anyone they really like in almost any round of the draft, though probably not round 1).

So, something like RT, ILB, TE, CB, S, QB, K, that's 7 picks.

Receivers are rumoured to be a good group in 2020, that might alter things, especially if Allison and Davis go. That depends on the continued development of guys like MVS, ESB, Shepherd (not to mention who is available when they pick). OLB is another possibility somewhere, if Fackrell is not re-signed. Finally, RB is always a possibility from round 4 onwards, you can get good value with later RB picks.

PS If Bulaga stays healthy and plays well this year (and I expect him to play well if he is healthy), that does make cutting him a tough choice. He is too good to just let him leave, if his health is ok. If it isn't, then he is probably gone. He will be 31 years old in 2020 and a 3yr extension might be done, if the money is right.
 

Re Bulaga, giving players with an extensive injury history multi-year deals on big money is asking for trouble it really is. If healthy then I'd be happy to overpay for a 1 year deal otherwise its probably time.

We should be trying to re-sign Martinez. He is a good productive player coming up to his second contract. You have to get these guys inked otherwise you are forever chasing holes. At some point, the offense needs serious love in the draft, its going to be harder to do that if you don't get the Martinez of this world signed up.

If Crosby would take a significant cut - and I mean significant then I wouldn't have a problem keeping him. Otherwise I'd be tempted to chuck a couple of 7th rounders  at your favourite two kickers and keep whoever is best. 7th round is 7th round - our two from last year are off the roster.

I think its only worth using a pick on a QB if you are looking for Aaron's eventual replacement. And if you are doing that then you are going to have to go early. If he is reasonably healthy this year, I'd be inclined to leave it next year and maybe go for it 2021.

If Fackrell price is sensible then he seems like the kind of player who works as a 4th OLB so I would re-sign him. Its obviously not worth overpaying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally resign Bulaga to a 2/3 year with a small signing bonus that allows us to basically turn it into a 1 year deal (something like 3/33 with a 11M signing bonus and a 1M first year base salary).

Then I'd still go OT 1st round, that way you give him a year to develop and learn the scheme (similar to what the Eagles are doing with Dillard this year). This gives you flexibility and depth at the OL. If we don't keep Bulaga I'd either sign another RT or use a day 2 pick in another one. OL quality and depth are the most important things when you have an aging AR.

2nd round, unless we see a WR or an ILB that we have a 1sr round grade on him I'd go CB. We play A TON of snaps in dime/dollar and I feel like Pettine's system demands a lot from defensive backs.

3rd go for an ILB.

Day 3 picks spent on WR (if it hasn't been adressed), K, and whatever we feel like adressing.

Don't spend a 1st on a WR. If there's one thing this team has done well previously, is develop wide recievers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Isaiah Simmons fans here? Not sure where he'll be pegged to go in the draft by the end of this year but man he would be fun to have on this defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's pretty simple to understand, actually.  Some positions should be targeted in round one with certain picks, others should not.  History backs this up with the overwhelming power of hindsight.  I don't care who the prospect is.  The prospect does not matter.  The prospect simply does not matter.  Every single year there are can't miss players, high ceiling, low floor, yadda yadda.  There is no telling even in June how good a prospect will be in his career for sure, so you might as well put an emphasis on positional value and go from there. 

1ST-32nd overall:

QB
EDGE
OT
DL
DB

23-32nd overall:

ILB
IOL
WR
TE


I don’t care what the scenario is, if you’re picking an IOL, WR, TE or ILB in the top 22, you are going to live to regret it.  The higher you pick them, the higher the regret. 

The 2017 draft class will always be remembered as the class the Bengals passed on Mahomes and Watson for a WR.  Same with the Titans.

Look at the 2014 draft class.  Lol. 

Bills picked Watkins over Mack.
Lions took Ebron over Oliver. 

Under zero circumstances whatsoever would I ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever draft an ILB,IOL,TE,WR 15th overall or higher. 

16th seems to be that spot where the exceptions lie.  But for every Jerry Rice, there are 100 Eric Ebrons. 

GMs, believe it or not, are aware of and for the most part believe in this.  Look at the teams who consistently draft these positions and you will see bottom-dwelling teams like the Dolphins, Bengals, Lions, Vikings, Bears... Teams who have not been relevant for 20-30 years.  Also, the Cowboys. 

Look at the investment Jones has placed in IOL, WR and ILB over the years.  Now look at his team and ask yourself if that's the situation you'd like for us to be in after Rodgers retires or during his final years.  I had to stop to think before I could name a single defensive back for that team. 

Let me help you here. I completely understand your logic/reasoning behind why you wouldn't want a Tight end and why you would want to continue to build on the defense. You don't need to explain that part to me. What you can instead explain to me is how you didn't know who Albert O was and yet said no as if you knew he played Offense as opposed to defense without having a clue as to who he is. Next time you no something, I don't care if you happened to get it right, at least understand who the player is and what position they play before you blatantly shoot it down. That's just pure ignorance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Let me help you here. I completely understand your logic/reasoning behind why you wouldn't want a Tight end and why you would want to continue to build on the defense. You don't need to explain that part to me. What you can instead explain to me is how you didn't know who Albert O was and yet said no as if you knew he played Offense as opposed to defense without having a clue as to who he is. Next time you no something, I don't care if you happened to get it right, at least understand who the player is and what position they play before you blatantly shoot it down. That's just pure ignorance. 

Let me help you out here.

He said he thinks the defense looks good. Assuming that, he brought up a player I deduced was offensive.  I put a disclaimer in that I do not know wh the player was in case they were an OT.  

What you think you’re accusing me of doing I did not do.  I put my opinion on every type of offensive player to cover them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Let me help you here. I completely understand your logic/reasoning behind why you wouldn't want a Tight end and why you would want to continue to build on the defense. You don't need to explain that part to me. What you can instead explain to me is how you didn't know who Albert O was and yet said no as if you knew he played Offense as opposed to defense without having a clue as to who he is. Next time you no something, I don't care if you happened to get it right, at least understand who the player is and what position they play before you blatantly shoot it down. That's just pure ignorance. 

I don't know who Albert O is either, but it was clear via context of the post he is an offensive player. I assumed as much too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I thought rookie tight ends never produced....

I knew this was coming. I'm can't believe it took this long lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says "the most in history" which means this doesnt happen. In fact it's never happened before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just resign Martinez to a new 4 year deal right now and get that one over with. 

Clark right after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, boratt said:

Just resign Martinez to a new 4 year deal right now and get that one over with. 

Clark right after that.

We don't need to do Clark this year. Still have 5th year option. He should be done next year before the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×