2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

15 minutes ago, Cheech said:

See, the thing is, I honestly agree with the premise of @Outpost31's stance on positional value.  But I argued all draft season that there are outliers.  TJ is one of them.

Oh for sure. I just said this today in a chat too. 

I said I still don't trust them early. But this guy went top ten too.

Jace will be lucky to have 100 yards all year. 

I think the outliers are clear especially when they go that early. It doesn't really hurt the tight end draft theory, which I don't care about anyways. I don't draft guys for year one.

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

See, the thing is, I honestly agree with the premise of @Outpost31's stance on positional value.  But I argued all draft season that there are outliers.  TJ is one of them.

I mean, do you not think that the Lions thought Eric Ebron was an outlier?  Did the 49ers not think Vernon Davis was an outlier?  Everytime that we see a non-value position draft high, everyone always thinks they're going to be an impact player.  Maybe Hock does turn out to be an outlier.  But you're betting against a large field.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, do you not think that the Lions thought Eric Ebron was an outlier?  Did the 49ers not think Vernon Davis was an outlier?  Everytime that we see a non-value position draft high, everyone always thinks they're going to be an impact player.  Maybe Hock does turn out to be an outlier.  But you're betting against a large field.

I wasnt betting against anyone.  I bet on Hock because I trusted his film and his testing numbers verified what I saw.  

Someone mentioned it earlier, and I'd tend to agree.  I think the priority next offseason should be OT and CB.  

CB, as was stated earlier, just can't find enough.  Pettine will use 'em.  Another 2nd round CB could help ease some worries about King's durability, Jackson's development, and Tramon's age.  

OT, I think we need a dominating run game to run LF's offense.  I'd love nothing more than to see Gute trade up for the RT of the future in TRISTAN Wirfs.  He's solid in pass pro and will move mountains in the run game - mostly because he is one.

2nd tier should be RB, ILB, and TE.  I really hope that Bolton can recover quickly and get a shot in training camp next year at ILB.  We have some young guys that could step up at all 3 of these positions.  At the moment, however, they seem more unsettled.

5 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Curious what Wisconsin folks think of Jonathan Taylor?  How high of a pick would you take him at?  Late first?  Mid second?  Or is he a good RB with a great OL?

For as great as this conveyor belt of Badger running backs has been since Ron Dayne on, the translation to the pros hasn’t really been there. Melvin Gordon looked like a can’t miss pro, and he has had a better pro career than all the other Badger RBs. For a moment there he was looking downright special, but his holdout won’t have an Ezekiel happy ending.

I don’t think Jonathan Taylor will be more than a James White level back. Adding receiving to his repertoire helps. He’s the kind of player you expect to be gone before he reaches the slot the Packers will give him. 

12 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Curious what Wisconsin folks think of Jonathan Taylor?  How high of a pick would you take him at?  Late first?  Mid second?  Or is he a good RB with a great OL?

He's the real deal. I think he'll probably be the best Badger RB as a pro... It's difficult to call a RB a 1st rounder now-a-days, but I think he's definitely a mid to late 1st rounder.

The OL certainly wasn't great last year, they underachieved quite a bit. This years OL is still working it out. His best OL was his freshman year.

3 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I don’t think Jonathan Taylor will be more than a James White level back. Adding receiving to his repertoire helps. He’s the kind of player you expect to be gone before he reaches the slot the Packers will give him. 

Physically, he's much better than White.

12 hours ago, Cheech said:

I can't get a feel for his true speed.  He's quick through the line, great acceleration, but even on his long runs, he's getting run down.  Not a knock against him, just an observation from a man who watched (admittedly) very little Badger football.  (Cuz when I do, they lose.)

So I really can't tell.  If I was forced to guess, he's an easy pick in round 2.  Guessing he goes top 20, though.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I can't get a feel for his true speed.  He's quick through the line, great acceleration, but even on his long runs, he's getting run down.  Not a knock against him, just an observation from a man who watched (admittedly) very little Badger football.  (Cuz when I do, they lose.)

So I really can't tell.  If I was forced to guess, he's an easy pick in round 2.  Guessing he goes top 20, though.

I don't think I've ever seen JT get caught from behind? He ran a 4.42 as a HS senior at a combine. He's been begged by the UW track coach to join the track team and he did this year as a sprinter. He's going to be a 4.4 guy, no issues with speed.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And that's what I saw. He has super good vision and finds what's there and has the quicks to accelerate, but when he is in the open field for twenty yards and gets run down? We'll see how it goes when we play the big boys.

And you have to excuse my skepticism. I thought all of the Wisconsin RBs were going to be great pros, and they've had their moments but that's about it.

If any of you are too young to remember Ron Dayne in college, go find some highlights. Even he was no more than an average pro runningback.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think I've ever seen JT get caught from behind? He ran a 4.42 as a HS senior at a combine. He's been begged by the UW track coach to join the track team and he did this year as a sprinter. He's going to be a 4.4 guy, no issues with speed.

I'll bet you he won't be a 4.4 guy at the combine. He will be 4.5s. He has nifty feet, and I think probably elite vision, but I don't think he has elite breakaway speed.

I see him having the best shot of a really nice NFL career (he just looks like an typical NFL back) out of most of the previous WI RBs, however.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cheech said:

Someone mentioned it earlier, and I'd tend to agree.  I think the priority next offseason should be OT and CB.  

CB, as was stated earlier, just can't find enough.  Pettine will use 'em.  Another 2nd round CB could help ease some worries about King's durability, Jackson's development, and Tramon's age.  

OT, I think we need a dominating run game to run LF's offense.  I'd love nothing more than to see Gute trade up for the RT of the future in TRISTAN Wirfs.  He's solid in pass pro and will move mountains in the run game - mostly because he is one.

2nd tier should be RB, ILB, and TE.  I really hope that Bolton can recover quickly and get a shot in training camp next year at ILB.  We have some young guys that could step up at all 3 of these positions.  At the moment, however, they seem more unsettled.

I really hope this is finally a year we can shift focus away from the DB room.... I am pretty comfortable with Jaire, King, Jackson, Hollman and Sullivan heading into next year with competition.

I echo the OT. 1st round pick should go to the trenches on either side. I would like to look early for a skill position on offense. 2nd round WR is on the table, and this is a very good RB class. 

• Like 1