2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Thats not a bad idea from a minor league / training perspective....but do you think the NFL is actually interested in "marrying up" with (potential) comp for $$$'s? In a kinda/sorta way, college now serves that minor league function no (?) and NFL Europe was a long way's off and a less immediate threat.

They need to put them in cities that would actually be interested, not Houston, LA, NY etc...

Milwaukee, San Antonio, Portland, Louisville, cities that can fill a 10-20k stadium and while they have an NFL team in their state, may not have one in their city.

The short answer is, the NFL doesn't give a damn if Dexter Williams gets snaps in a development league. The NFL doesn't give a damn about Dexter Williams is really the truth. However if they can make profits, they'll do it and take the good pub for "caring" about developing the lesser players too. Would really come down to would the fans support it enough to be profitable? I think the only way that ever happens is if you pull actual players off a teams roster so there's some vested interest. If EQ was starting for an XFL team, I guarantee a lot of Packers fans would tune in to see how he looks. I don't really give a damn how Adonis Jennings looks, even though he's a former Packer.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The short answer is, the NFL doesn't give a damn if Dexter Williams gets snaps in a development league. The NFL doesn't give a damn about Dexter Williams is really the truth.

Agreed.

However if they can make profits, they'll do it and take the good pub for "caring" about developing the lesser players too. Would really come down to would the fans support it enough to be profitable?

This is where I'm losing you. Does the NFL have a financial stake in the XFL? If so, that would make sense. If not, it reverts back to me questioning whether the league sees it in their interest to facilitate XFL success. I dont see the "good pub" referred to as being significant enough to warrant the helping hand.

If EQ was starting for an XFL team, I guarantee a lot of Packers fans would tune in to see how he looks. I don't really give a damn how Adonis Jennings looks, even though he's a former Packer.

Agree here as well....but again, I'm not sure the NFL wants to lend out its players in order to get more eyeballs (and paying customers) for the XFL - unless they're bought in some way.

The "economic football pie" is pretty big - thats already been proven - but college and the NFL have been gobbling that pie down just fine w/o seeing their share get smaller.

Edited by Leader

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agreed.

This is where I'm losing you. Does the NFL have a financial stake in the XFL? If so, that would make sense. If not, it reverts back to me questioning whether the league sees it in their interest to facilitate XFL success. I dont see the "good pub" referred to as being significant enough to warrant the helping hand.

Agree here as well....but again, I'm not sure the NFL wants to lend out its players in order to get more eyeballs (and paying customers) for the XFL - unless they're bought in some way.

The "economic football pie" is pretty big - thats already been proven - but college and the NFL have been gobbling that pie down just fine w/o seeing their share get smaller.

I'm talking developmental football league in general, not just XFL. The XFL will die out soon enough just like the AAF or any other league not directly associated to the NFL. I do think a development league could survive from Feb-April, but it would need to do the things I've outlined above.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm talking developmental football league in general, not just XFL. The XFL will die out soon enough just like the AAF or any other league not directly associated to the NFL. I do think a development league could survive from Feb-April, but it would need to do the things I've outlined above.

Okay. So an NFL owned/controlled/player supported developmental league. Got it.

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I don’t think a real minor league NFL will ever work in the US. Teams in general don’t want to risk their assets, players want their time off, and the public wants to see the highest level of competition.

With that said the arena league survived over 30 years without direct association with the NFL. What made that work was it wasn’t a minor league. It was a different game (fast paced, smaller field, higher scoring). The XFL has some unique rules but to really make it work they need to more different (different field, experiment with hashes, make all ol eligible, allow as much motion as a team wants to create breaks).... That would be interesting.

22 hours ago, Leader said:

Thats not a bad idea from a minor league / training perspective....but do you think the NFL is actually interested in "marrying up" with (potential) comp for $$$'s? In a kinda/sorta way, college now serves that minor league function no (?) and NFL Europe was a long way's off and a less immediate threat.

If I'm the NFL, I'm not looking at these lesser leagues as a threat; I'd look at them as an aid to make my product better. Nobody is going to outshine the NFL...ever...

22 hours ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -  If the Packers drafted Kenneth Murray and Antoine Winfield to replace Blake Martinez and Raven Greene, Mike Pettine would do backflips.

What's wrong with Raven Greene? Also, again, Murray is crap in the run game...

38 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does everyone want Det to do?

I hope they stay at 3 and pick a non QB.

I wouldn’t be happy if they took Tua

and I def wouldn’t be happy if they traded down and loaded up for Lawrence ( which they should do imo)

be lions-y and take like JK Dobbins or Justin Herbert or something. 

I think they take Okudah tho.

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does everyone want Det to do?

I hope they stay at 3 and pick a non QB.

I wouldn’t be happy if they took Tua

and I def wouldn’t be happy if they traded down and loaded up for Lawrence ( which they should do imo)

I don't think Tua would do well in Detroit.