2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

12 hours ago, boratt said:

Age releases who probably won’t fetch us comp picks:

Tramon

Mercedes

Age doesn't prevent us from receiving a comp pick, but it does limit how high that draft pick can go.  They refer to it as the "Alan Faneca" rule.  Supposedly, if a player has 10+ accrued seasons, the team losing the FA can't receive higher than a 5th round pick.  Given Tramon is entering his 13th season, the highest pick that we could receive for him is a 5th round pick IF he signed a contract with an AAV around $7M.  Same thing with Marcedes Lewis.

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

At some point, moving on from Crosby is going to happen.  Seemed like this TC was a subtle movement in that direction.  

How so?  We've brought in competition before and everytime Crosby has won out.  I believe the last time the Packers brought in significant camp competition Mason Crosby responded with one of his best seasons.  Mason Crosby is 35 years old, which is still rather young by kicker standards.  Adam Vinatieri just kicked at age 46 on Sunday, although pretty poorly.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I was a little surprised that Graham wasn't high on your depart list. A $9m cap saving by releasing him after 2019, just as Kenny Clark's contract becomes due. Replacements are on the team with Tonyan and Sternberger (and probably another  addition).

Agreed.  I think Jimmy Graham is in real jeopardy of being a cap casualty next offseason.  IF Robert Tonyan develops as we hope and/or Jace Sternberger makes that jump, he's going to end up looking for a job elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

@Nick_gb it's not letting me quote your post, but I really don't see any issues with it.  It's not like the Packers' FO is just sitting on their hands for the next 8-10 months waiting for the draft and FA to roll around.

@Shanedorf showed us in the gameday thread where those hands are.....

Does anyone else think Linsley could be a cap casualty after this year ? He isn't old (28 this year), and he is playing just fine, but he has a $10.5m cap hit for 2020 and an $8.5m saving if let go after 2019.

With Elgton Jenkins already on the roster, and Patrick (who would be in his 4th season) as backup center, the Packers might think they have enough talent that they consider cutting him as a money saving move. I'm not saying i like such a move, just that the $ saving is enough that the Packers will consider it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How so?  We've brought in competition before and everytime Crosby has won out.  I believe the last time the Packers brought in significant camp competition Mason Crosby responded with one of his best seasons.  Mason Crosby is 35 years old, which is still rather young by kicker standards.  Adam Vinatieri just kicked at age 46 on Sunday, although pretty poorly.

You think Crosby is kicking until 2050?  At some point, moving on from Crosby is going to happen.  

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  I think Jimmy Graham is in real jeopardy of being a cap casualty next offseason.  IF Robert Tonyan develops as we hope and/or Jace Sternberger makes that jump, he's going to end up looking for a job elsewhere.

IF Graham is a cap casualty AND Lewis is gone, we're going to have a pretty big hole at TE regardless of what Tonyan and Sternberger do. This upcoming TE class is pretty weak. 

Also, Jon Runyan's kid, Jon Jr., is in this upcoming draft. Could be a good Day 3 pick it's looking like right now.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

IF Graham is a cap casualty AND Lewis is gone, we're going to have a pretty big hole at TE regardless of what Tonyan and Sternberger do. This upcoming TE class is pretty weak. 

Also, Jon Runyan's kid, Jon Jr., is in this upcoming draft. Could be a good Day 3 pick it's looking like right now.

I think that is part of the reason 4 TEs and a FB were kept this year, they are anticipating next years losses. Next year will be Tonyan's 3rd camp and Sternberger's 2nd. Sure they'll need another guy, maybe someone whose strength is more blocking than receiving  and therefore available as a later draft pick, or another vet addition there who can block. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Age doesn't prevent us from receiving a comp pick, but it does limit how high that draft pick can go.  They refer to it as the "Alan Faneca" rule.  Supposedly, if a player has 10+ accrued seasons, the team losing the FA can't receive higher than a 5th round pick.  Given Tramon is entering his 13th season, the highest pick that we could receive for him is a 5th round pick IF he signed a contract with an AAV around $7M.  Same thing with Marcedes Lewis.

I didnt realize that was a thing. But I was more saying they’re old enough, I just don’t see them getting a big enough deal to be worth a pick.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Does anyone else think Linsley could be a cap casualty after this year ? He isn't old (28 this year), and he is playing just fine, but he has a $10.5m cap hit for 2020 and an $8.5m saving if let go after 2019.

With Elgton Jenkins already on the roster, and Patrick (who would be in his 4th season) as backup center, the Packers might think they have enough talent that they consider cutting him as a money saving move. I'm not saying i like such a move, just that the $ saving is enough that the Packers will consider it.

I wouldn’t like this one cuz if we let him get to UFA he’ll fetch is a 5th rounder minimum, maybe a 4th. 

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I brought this up earlier too (indirectly) by asking if our best combo inside with cap hit is Taylor/Jenkins or Jenkins/Linsley.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

@Nick_gb it's not letting me quote your post, but I really don't see any issues with it.  It's not like the Packers' FO is just sitting on their hands for the next 8-10 months waiting for the draft and FA to roll around.

I never suggested the FO was ? I merely stated the cutting Bulaga posts have been the norm around here for the better part of 2 years now and its still continuing.