2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Was there really anyone worth a damn?

I mean after Lowry (who took a big step back last year compared to 2018) you have Adams, Lancaster and Keke. That's pretty much rock bottom...

Now paying $9 million to a guy like Michael Pierce would be stupid but DL are starting to go for bargains. Shelby Harris and Derek Wolfe both would have been upgrades and just went for $3 million a piece. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I mean after Lowry (who took a big step back last year compared to 2018) you have Adams, Lancaster and Keke. That's pretty much rock bottom...

Now paying $9 million to a guy like Michael Pierce would be stupid but DL are starting to go for bargains. Shelby Harris and Derek Wolfe both would have been upgrades and just went for $3 million a piece. 

I think we just need one.  Whether that is drafted, or a FA, or someone's PS guy, I don't know.  I think Lowry-Clark is a combo we can with with.  I think between Adams, Lancaster, and Keke, we can get some substitution play, which is needed.  I don't think any of them are good enough to rely on as an every down option.  

IF I am reading spotrac correctly, we only have ~3 million to spend, after accounting for rookies.  That doesn't account for a cut of Taylor.  I think the best move may be to wait until we see the results of the draft.  Honestly, that Billy Turner contract looks pretty bad right now.  

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think we just need one.  Whether that is drafted, or a FA, or someone's PS guy, I don't know.  I think Lowry-Clark is a combo we can with with.  I think between Adams, Lancaster, and Keke, we can get some substitution play, which is needed.  I don't think any of them are good enough to rely on as an every down option.  

IF I am reading spotrac correctly, we only have ~3 million to spend, after accounting for rookies.  That doesn't account for a cut of Taylor.  I think the best move may be to wait until we see the results of the draft.  Honestly, that Billy Turner contract looks pretty bad right now.  

With the DL class looking like it is, I think you pretty much have to add a vet there. Don't really want to use my 1-3 round picks on a DL when I can probably get a better WR, OT, ILB or CB in those spots. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

With the DL class looking like it is, I think you pretty much have to add a vet there. Don't really want to use my 1-3 round picks on a DL when I can probably get a better WR, OT, ILB or CB in those spots. 

I don't disagree.  I just think we are kind of over a barrel right now.  If we were allowed a hindsight re-do of last year, we probably shouldn't have signed Turner, and probably should have drafted one of the DTs taken between Gary and Savage, instead of Gary.  That would give us a savings of 8 million from Turner, and a better DL.  We could have kept Sackrell as our third pass rusher, which is a very good role for him, and he wasn't that expensive.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't disagree.  I just think we are kind of over a barrel right now.  If we were allowed a hindsight re-do of last year, we probably shouldn't have signed Turner, and probably should have drafted one of the DTs taken between Gary and Savage, instead of Gary.  That would give us a savings of 8 million from Turner, and a better DL.  We could have kept Sackrell as our third pass rusher, which is a very good role for him, and he wasn't that expensive.

I still have hope for Gary this year and his ceiling is a lot higher than Fack. Gary was pretty close to a few more sacks and if he would have had 5 sacks as a rookie instead of 2 (considering his limited sacks), we'd all probably be singing a different tune about him. 

Turner was a bit of a head-scratcher from the start given the amount. Hoping he's better in year 2 because we're stuck with him for a while. At the time though we were hurting at guard with Taylor coming off a lousy year and obviously no one expected Jenkins to be borderline All-Pro as a rookie. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I still have hope for Gary this year and his ceiling is a lot higher than Fack. Gary was pretty close to a few more sacks and if he would have had 5 sacks as a rookie instead of 2 (considering his limited sacks), we'd all probably be singing a different tune about him. 

Turner was a bit of a head-scratcher from the start given the amount. Hoping he's better in year 2 because we're stuck with him for a while. At the time though we were hurting at guard with Taylor coming off a lousy year and obviously no one expected Jenkins to be borderline All-Pro as a rookie. 

Yeah, Gary sucked as a rookie. He wasn't close to a few more sacks. His sack numbers look better than his pressures would typically indicate. 

Jenkins wasn't anywhere near a borderline all pro. The Turner signing is fine. You have an average guard at an average guard contract. It's not the end of the world. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It all really depends on how the FO wants to address the need.  There are plug and and play 1 or 2 down run stuffing DL that are going to go round 3-5 if they just want another Lancaster (guy who will hold the line and that is it... which honestly might be what they are looking for). 

If they want another Clark or a Mike Daniels type guy that is going to be a 3 down player, then they need to snag one early though.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I wonder if they will let these two battle it out for a starting gig, and then cut the loser.

I sincerely doubt Billy Turner gets released.  The dead cap for releasing Turner would be $9.75M, and his current cap hit is $8.1M.  He's on the roster for 2020.  At the very least, he's a flexibile OL that you can move to RT when/if Wagner gets hurt.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I sincerely doubt Billy Turner gets released.  The dead cap for releasing Turner would be $9.75M, and his current cap hit is $8.1M.  He's on the roster for 2020.  At the very least, he's a flexibile OL that you can move to RT when/if Wagner gets hurt.

Yeah .. cutting him doesn't work from a cap standpoint.  We need to hope plays all of 2020 like he did the second half of 2019.  

I never had a problem with us signing Turner. Our RG play completely sucked with McCray and.....Bell i think.

He was definitely an improvement imo. His contract right now is the 20th highest for a guard so it's isn't so bad all things considered especially since he can play in other positions along the line.

Lane Taylor was supposed to be the other guard but he ended up losing his spot to Jenkins. If anything his contract isn't so great right now as he is the 28th highest paid guard and he isn't even a starter. I guarantee the team will make their move when the timing is right, whether its by trade or cut. Like someone else said they will probably wait to see how the draft goes and then make their decision on Taylor then.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Fortunately, I don't think you're reading it quite right.  I see them listing estimated cap space, for the top 51, as $10,931,427. 

Est. Cap Space (Top 51):$10,931,427

• That already includes Funchess. 
  • The draft class won't cost over $2M, in terms of cap space.  
  • Remember that cap includes the top 51 salaries, so when you add a rookie (or a Funchess), that basically just replaces a minimum-wage guy currently at 51.  When you sign a 4th round draft pick or later, their contract is no higher than the guys they replace.  3rd round basically only jumps the cap by ~$0.2, I think.  I's pretty much only the 1st and 2nd rounders that get paid enough to raise the cap relative to the back-of-roster salaries that they replace.  
  • So, there is still a little bit of discretionary cap space.... for this year ..... if they wanted to spend it.
  • Obviously Taylor could free up an additional $4.1, **IF** they wanted to.  Not sure the insurance he provides for some line depth doesn't justify the $4M cap cost, though?  Not for me to decide, thankfully.
  • Not sure how much of the remaining cap space they want to save, for this year emergencies, and for rollover/extensions.  With Clark and other contracts coming up, plus with Rodgers jumping by $15M next year (cap-wise), they may feel obligated to sit tight and save what they've got?